Author Topic: Crank in the line up: sad if true.  (Read 1762 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Crank in the line up: sad if true.
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »
it might prove not to be true but if it is, all i can do is shake my head:

Saturday, January 12, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
Drugs found in Ghost Trees surfer who drowned
John King, Chronicle Staff Writer

The surfer who died off Pebble Beach last month was under the influence of
methamphetamine when he went into the water and encountered waves more
than 50 feet high, the Monterey County coroner said Friday.
   Peter Davi, 45, drowned while surfing Dec. 4 near Stillwater Cove in a
stretch known to fellow surfers as Ghost Trees. A coroner's investigation
found that "acute methamphetamine intoxication ... may also have played a
contributing role" in his death, according to a statement released by the
county sheriff's office.
   The day of Davi's death, surfers described conditions where the wave faces
reached 60 to 70 feet - or as one person put it, "almost as big as we've
seen out there."
   The surfers also remembered Davi fondly as a "gentle giant" and a
"diplomat of surfing."

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crank in the line up: sad if true.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Agreed, it is VERY sad if true. I meet Peter a couple of times back in the day and remember him has a classic guy. Always full of life and a genuine stoke for surfing. I pray for his family & friends and offer sincere condolences for their loss.

Sadly (although I know some stoners will disagree) drugs have WRONLY been a very accepted part of the surf culture for decades. Back in the 60’s to the mid 80’s drugs were even thought to enhance our performance in the water. No harm done by smoking a joint before surfing, it was a blast to drop acid and go night surfing, nothing wrong with a 12 pack after a long surf session and certainly nothing wrong with a few stiff drinks and a couple lines of coke to get ready for night of parties and chicks.

All in good fun hey?……….at least that is what we thought. I mean common, everyone was doing it. Hell 80% of the top 16 IPS (pre WCT) was doing drugs and surfed unreal. If our hero’s did it and ripped, why not us?  Obviously, we were dead (pun intended) wrong.

Many surfers simply did drugs for social reasons and thankfully outgrew them as they got older and wanted to make something of their life. But those were the lucky few. Many more discovered they could not stop even when they wanted too, because they actually had the disease of alcoholism and addiction.

And make no mistake………….it IS a DISEASE.
It is PRIMARY, PROGRESSIVE, CHRONIC and FATAL.

However, I have NEVER seen a drug as physically, mentally and emotionally devastating this particular drug (Meth) is to the human body. Even to recreational non addict users. I wont go through the whole medical side of it but here are a few brief examples: Meth depletes the calcium in our bones and teeth causing people to look 20 years older after even short term use. I know many addicts who lost ALL their teeth after using for only 6 months to a year. It damages the heart almost immediately, soon after is visual and auditory hallucinations. Long term (if they dont OD first) use virtually guarantees brain damage as it puts puka’s (holes) where grey matter should be. Quite often long term users go into states of psychosis and schizophrenia from which they NEVER return. The physch wards are full of them. Once functioning men and women who had wonderful lives are now reduced to wearing diapers and are so heavily medicated with Psychotropic drugs that they don’t recognize family members. The damage is so extensive and severe that they NEVER recover and are “institutionalized” the rest of their lives.

I apologize for my rant everyone, but this subject is near to my heart. My words are directed at the overall problem of drug use and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to the memory of Peter Davi or his family.

I have seen incredibly talented surfers and genuinely wonderful human beings have their lives completely wasted and destroyed because they did not know how to stop and because the people around them did not understand the true nature of this disease. I have seen the lives of good friends destroyed and I have buried more than I care to remember.

Thankfully, I have also been blessed with the opportunity to work with many in recovery and witnessed firsthand the amazing transformation from those who choose fight this horrific disease with sobriety. It is especially gratifying when this happens with surfers. To see them return to their roots and go back to the ocean will brings tears to the eyes of even the most hardened addict.

Again, I have NO idea if Peter was an addict or someone who did them recreationally. But sadly the results are often the same. I know this will sound cliché, but if this is true, I hope others learn from what happened to him.

Rest in peace bruddah Peter.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:54:58 PM by HaleiwaBill »

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crank in the line up: sad if true.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »
Bill thanks for the great response. I share in your feelings and could not express it the way you did.
Pat

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal