Author Topic: Build your own SUP cart for under $50. (Carries 2 boards + paddles, locking!)  (Read 91482 times)

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Check out this SUP cart I made for a little over $40.  Ugly, simple, functional, cheap.  (Springer Spaniel not included).

Just PVC pipe and glue with cheap dolly wheels

I put it right near the balance point, so the weight for the carrier is oh, 1 pound or so (unless your dog rides on it).

I load it with the skeg forward and pointed down.  I used a loop of 1" webbing in a larks foot around the skeg as a handle.  I also cut the webbing straps long enough to carry two stacked boards.

The key for getting this built cheap is to get the wheels, straps, and lock at Harbor Freight Tools.  The PVC pipe and other stuff came from my local Home Depot.  Dolly wheels are $5 on sale at Harbor Freight or $20 at Home Depot (for basically the same, made in China cheapo wheel).

Here are the approximate costs:
$10 Harbor Freight Dolly wheels ($4.99/ea)
$4   Adjustable straps  (Harbor Freight)
$6   2' combo bike lock (Harbor Freight)
$7   36" threaded rod
$3   Bolts & washers
$5   PVC pipe fittings
$2   10' of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe
$2   Pipe insulation
$5   Duct tape , screws, PVC cement
$2   1" webbing

I had most of the PVC fittings, PVC cement, duct tape, etc in my garage already so my costs were under $40.

Here is everything you need to build your own cart:

Another view of the cart:

Note the little combo lock on the cart.  Once I trundle the board to the launch site, I'd just lock the cart to a pole/tree so it doesn't grow legs.

I'm building a second one of these as well.  If there is enough interest on the forum, I'll post step by step directions as I build the second one.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I think its a great idea.  If you could do step by step that would be cool.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Cool dog!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
If you put the cart closer to the nose, or flipped the board over and put it under the fins it would be easier to use, more stable and less likely to scrape the board on obstructions. Like a Mule.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
  • Goodbye, Sunshine. Daddy misses you.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - katzkillz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great job!  Good creativity and sounds like a great project for a bad weather day.

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I love making stuff out of PVC pipes.  I would weld if I knew how.  I can make one of these for prob half the cost because my family owns an ACE Hardware.  Home Depot sucks ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Welding is a fundamental skill, like cooking, personal hygiene, opening champagne bottles and first aid. Time to get with the program.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
If you put the cart closer to the nose, or flipped the board over and put it under the fins it would be easier to use, more stable and less likely to scrape the board on obstructions. Like a Mule.

There are a zillion ways to attach the board to the cart. 

The reason the fins are forward is so that I can grab the skeg with my carrying strap.  And going closer to the balance point keeps the carrying weight to a minimum.    I have a couple of different sized "hose straps" so I can throw one over my shoulder and go pretty much hands free, or just carry it with the shorter strap.  If I flipped the board upside down, the rocker would work against me and bring the nose closer to the ground.

I've never seen a Mule or other board carrier, so this is my own interpretation.  I'm making a second one for my K-15, which comes to a point at each end.  The K-15 will definitely have to go closer to the middle.  It's a 1/2 mile from my door to the lake for the K-15, so keeping the carrying weight down counts for a lot.

We'll see how they work over time.  If the design needs changing, I'm out all of oh, $5 for PVC bits and pieces.

stillwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are you towing by hand? Have you tried to retrofit to tow behind bike because you will need that option to tow down to Sugar Pine or Waters Edge? Looks like its a solid rig.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong, I like your rig. I'm partial to SUP trailers and yours is a good'un. I'll probably copy it for some uses I have.

Here's a modified mule--just lengthened the strap to fit my F18. Article here: http://www.kenalu.com/2010/03/06/stand-up-paddle-surfboard-bike-trailer/

Here's a hardcore one I built:
http://www.kenalu.com/2008/11/30/sup-motorcycle-trailer/

and here's an article on the mule
http://www.kenalu.com/2008/08/23/mule-transport-system/

And this is Sam

The biggest benefit of being close to the end is keeping the board from scraping on stuff. Downside is more weight, but it's still only half
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:45:04 PM by PonoBill »

SUP Wheels

• Waikiki Status
  • Helping you with water sport transportation.
    • View Profile
    • SUP Wheels® SUP Carrier
    • Email
Very cool DYI on the standup board carrier.  This is how we started SUP Wheels ™ company with a DYI PVC SUP cart.  I built a SUP carrier because of an injury.  Then started building them for friends and they encouraged me to make this into a company.  I haven't had a day off since.

We think more people are going to use SUP carriers to access remote waters or just to make carrying their SUP's easier. We think it is good for them to have DYI and finished product options.  Thanks for the post.
www.supwheels.com

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
This must be the most compact of carriers, and I wonder if anyone has had experience with it.  It snaps into the fin box, so you have to take out the fin, but they also make snap-in fins which work quite well.
http://www.imaginesurf.com/?post_type=imaginesurf_product&p=2103

MnSUUUPerDude

• Malibu Status
  • Stoked On Life!
    • View Profile
I have been looking into getting a MULE, but mabey i will just try to make one. It would be nice to two it behind my bike.

SUPpaddler, I like the one from imagine, but just wondering if it will harm the finbox. seems like if you hit to many bumps, it could damage it. just wonderin.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
it shouldn't be a problem, most center fin box is set on the stringer and you rarely seen a damage center box. But i think the problem is not all of my board comes with center box.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

MnSUUUPerDude

• Malibu Status
  • Stoked On Life!
    • View Profile
what should I expect to pay for a mule...I should refraise that. what should i pay. there are alot of different prices out there?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal