Author Topic: Help with first board choice. (Yes, i read many of the other posts like this)  (Read 2050 times)

morturio

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Howdy all,

I am landlocked in Atlanta but have been surfing with my dad and son for the last eight years near my dad's house in Jacksonville, Florida.  (Dad 60's, me 40's, son teens)

My dad had been a long time runner but had to have both of his knees replaced last summer.

He felt strong enough to get back out on the waves last fall but the lateral forces from surfing were too much and gave him pain. 

However, he did get started on stand up paddle boarding and now has a new sport that he has fallen in love with.

I believe he is riding a SurfTech Laird 12'1" board.  He tries to get out a few times a week and puts in 6 to 8 miles per outing riding along the coast about a quarter mile offshore.

My wife was intrigued with this so she picked up a used board locally (12 foot Maverix) and has been riding with him while my son and I surf.

During our trip to their house over spring break, I had an opportunity to get out on both of their boards and knew immediately this was for me.

Between the two boards I really like the Laird and how it seemed to track better and maintain speed better than the Maverix.

I would like to get out and ride with my family on the ocean as well as hitting local lakes up here when I can but I am not sure where to put my money.

I expect the board to be used as follows: 60% in local lakes cruising around and exploring with the wife, 30% paddling offshore with Dad and wife, 10% actually surfing in Florida.

The board that most piques my interest is the Naish Glide 12 AST.  From what I have read on this and other forums, it looks like it could fit the bill.

However, I am sure there are people here with massive amounts of knowledge and expertise so I was hoping you all might confirm my choice or tell me why that is a poor choice and which direction to look in instead. 

I am 5'10", 180 lbs and run or bike 4 times a week.

If you have made it this far, thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
I don't think the Glide fits your usage percentages. Some may disagree, but I'm also an east coast guy, so I know our type surf and the Glide is not really surfable in our crap waves. The Naish 11'6 fits your needs better. I'd be willing to bet most Naish dealers have the 11'6 in their demo fleet. So you can try it for yourself.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
A maker relatively close to you in the Destin FL area is YOLO, my friend is having good luck selling them here in MD, they seem to be a reasonably priced, light board with very good customer support.  They have crossover and flatwater styles, and now getting into some higher end surf and race boards.  www.yoloboards.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
I was going to make the same suggestion as DW, that or the Starboard 11-2. You'll likely want a slightly slower board than what your wife is going to use for cruising. When i paddle with my wife she uses my Vec 14 and I'm on either my Starboard 12-6 or 11-2. That will also translate into a better surfing board when you want it. Best bet is to demo as many boards as you can before buting...check out the classifieds and craigslist for used boards too.....you might get lucky.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard. Good first post and some sensible questions.

I have the Naish Glide 12' and its a pretty good and stable distance paddler but really it aint much in the surf. My 2c would be to go for the Starboard 12'6 cruiser. Its super stable for the offshore runs, has a lot of glide for the lake, tracks well and is quite surfable in a range of conditions.

But like the others say demo demo demo

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
I gotta agree with DW The NAISH Glide although is a great board and will meet 90% of your needs it is NOT A WAVE SURFING MACHINE.

I would recommend the Naish 11'6 or the 11'4 I even like the 10'5 Mana

The versitility of the Naish line is going to be key in your selection of a first board. After you've done it a bit you maybe inclined to scew your board preferences and then purchase an more specific board for exactly what you want ... or you may not as a versitile design like the Naish will work for years to come

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal