Author Topic: SUP hauling handles -- my way!  (Read 5049 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
SUP hauling handles -- my way!
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:26:37 AM »
i was going to post this first on pono bills site as it completes a thread there but pix posting problems have kept me from doing so.  So, i'll start here.

firstly, this post might end up being a total mess; it's day 5 of my own personal kidney stone crisis and i'm totally wigged out on oxycotin and percocet. wheee!

okay, here's a shot of a bungee strap arrangement i did on the front of the JL-11, using surfco hawaii's stick-on leash plugs.  first trip out, it held a PB&J just fine.  second trip, one of the plugs popped off.  since it happened with little or no stress on the straps, and i followed the instructions to a T, i'm gong to assume that these plugs and this JL are not happy together, and i won't be using them again.

the next series of shots shows my under-the-arm or over-the-shoulder carrying system.  it works fantastic and it's made getting around with the JL a breeze.  (I have to navigate boulder-strewn cliffs to get down to the water and more boulders and rocks as i first go out; also i have medically related balance issues and sometimes *need* to have my hands free in order to stay upright ...)  It also helps with getting the board up on the roof of my car and taking it down.  bueno!  since the pad was already on the board, how i did it is, i marked out an area on the pad and stripped it off.  then i drilled into the board (yikes!) and used epoxy and fiberglas cloth to cement in a windsurf-board footstrap plug.  did some mild sanding.  then i cut out a matching piece of blue pad from some scrap material and glued it down over the plug.  bingo bango neato.  Screwed on the strap.

But my real stroke of genius-type inspiration came when i got the bright idea to use a guitar strap for the strap.  works terrific.  you can loosen it up to carry the board and tighten it down when you're on the water.  You can haul the board with strap on shoulder or hold onto the strap to carry the board under your arm.  I'm still going to make a few changes, primarily I'm going to get a different color guitar strap.  And I really do have to do something about that crappy wax job.  but in the meantime, it's working just the way i hoped it would.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP hauling handles -- my way!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »
just thought i'd throw out a couple more handy options for handling the large boards we ride...

those handy cinch-straps used to secure equipment on racks etc. work great as shoulder tote straps once you pull your rig off your car or wherever they may be stowed. one simple system is to connect it into a loop (connect both of them to form one continuous loop if using only one is too short). set the board on it's side with the loop draping up and around undernieth and on either side of the board to form two handles. sling both of them over one shoulder using the cinch to adjust for fit. you can adjust the spacing of the two parts of the loop undernieth the board for balance. with practice you could learn to gracefully place the board into the "shoulder sling" with ease. it may help to practice with a smaller surfboard to get the whole technique down. one thing i do on occasion is take that outer end of the loop and wrap it around the paddle to bring it all into one tensigral bundle.

something else i want to play with are these 4" suction cup carriers i came accross at some hardware stores...

can you imagine them as temporary handles or a great way to secure straps on a board without having to drill, glue, or do anything else invasive to your prized ride? i haven't done this yet but i'll be sure to report back after a bit of testing in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:24:54 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Tim

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP hauling handles -- my way!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:09:19 PM »
 :)I was somewhat amazed the first time I carried my SUP Board to the beach and realized that at four inches thick and 28 inches wide I couldn't carry it under my arm...plus there was the paddle to think about!!! A solution that is working pretty well is a sling that I found on the internet..It's called a Stick Schlepper...I had to modify it slightly as I found the plastic clips us for the loops that go around the board could suddenly fail. I took my "Schlepper" to a local shoe repair shop and for $3.00 had the loops permanently sown and now I have a padded sling that I can use to carry my board on one shoulder and have a free hand for my paddle.  The Stick Schepper was less than $20.00...It makes carrying the board to the beach a whole lot easier...Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal