Author Topic: Any new info on Kauai Rentals?  (Read 2990 times)

nathan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Any new info on Kauai Rentals?
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Hey all,

I am mostly a lurker here since I'm a n00b and only have access to inland paddling (Colorado rivers) but I'm headed to Kauai in a few weeks (Apr 23 - May 3) and hope to spend several days learning to paddle in warm water :)

We are staying on Poipu Beach, but we have a car so if anyone has recommendations on either taking lessons or renting gear for the week, from anywhere on Kauai, I'd love to hear from you. Many thanks. We'd also be happy to grab a beer with anyone who feels so inclined!

(I tried searching and found one 2008 thread with not much info, sorry if this answer can be found elsewhere, just let me know.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:53:23 AM by nathan »

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any new info on Kauai Rentals?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
I have a trip planned to Kauai soon, as well. Rentals were on the order of $100/day at the few shops I called. It is only $35 to check a board interisland on Hawaiian so the math just didn’t add up for the rental. Sorry. I know that doesn’t answer you question, but did you consider bringing your own? Braving baggage handlers may be your better option.

nathan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info. $100/day seems steep, maybe I can find a week-long deal. My gear is cheap inflatable junk for now since I'm cheap and I'm going to beat the hell out of it on CO rivers :) Thanks again though, I appreciate the response.

stillwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:37:14 AM »
Willi Willi harbor has boards for rent. Fairly close to Poipu. Some small wind waves to ride on west side of harbor & sheltered calmer water on east side. $25/hr. Hanalei Bay has boards also but typically to tour Hanalei River. Rent at Black Pot Beach or also in town. Be respectful if you choose to take in surf at Hanalei & have fun. Wish I was going. 

nathan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:57:23 AM »
Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I did find a place on the river but it looks like they give me the option of going out to the bay. Found a likely-looking place at Black Pot too. Thanks for the response!

wndjnky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Willi Willi harbor has boards for rent. Fairly close to Poipu. Some small wind waves to ride on west side of harbor & sheltered calmer water on east side. $25/hr. Hanalei Bay has boards also but typically to tour Hanalei River. Rent at Black Pot Beach or also in town. Be respectful if you choose to take in surf at Hanalei & have fun. Wish I was going. 
  Is it lame to take the Paddle Boards up to tour the Hanalei River?  It sounds more fun than a kayak?  As far as the waves... I guess just check it out? If there are other paddlers and not too crowded give it a try?  My wife and I are going for 4 days in August and staying at the St Regis.  (Starwood Points, the only way I can afford it)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
I have local friends who rented boards and paddled up the river..I'd rather SUP than kayak anyday  ;D

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »
Paddling up the river in Hanalei is lots of fun. 
Do it either early in the morning or late in the evening - the wind usually comes out of the mountains during the day - right in your face going up the river.

Have a Fish Taco at Pat's too! (the white trailer at Black pot beach)
Tell him Warren sent you!
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal