Author Topic: Naish AST Construction  (Read 11647 times)

randal.brown

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish AST Construction
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »
I am looking at purchasing my first SUP board and was wondering what the deal is with the AST construction?  My understanding is that it has a rubberized top almost.  Is this correct?   What are the advantages/disadvantages?

I need two boards (one for crusing one for my wife....) and am deciding between the 11'4 Nalu and 10'6 Nalu or the 11' and 10' oxbow pilot.

These are what are in my price range and available here in Canada.  Unfortunately the nicer Naish construction is out of my price range.

So is the AST construction any good? Should I save my pennies for the better construction?  Or should I save the money for a shorter SUP down the road and go with the Oxbows?

Thanks,

Randal

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Naish AST Construction
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »
The local shop here is stoked on the AST. Cheaper and they hold up well for their customers.

If you study the construction images on the Naish web site you'll get some clues into the differences.

The variations in construction go like this.

1- wood in the deck area only (AST)
2- full wood bottom and wood deck (not sure if full coverage) plus divinycell sandwich deck
3- full wood deck and bottom and rail wrap.

My understanding is type 2 come from China and run about $1399 on average. They come with the best bag and best fins in the Naish lineup in my opinion.

type 3 are the lightest and come from Thailand. The bags are lighter fabric and the fins slightly less cool in my opinion.

Don't know much about type 1. I think no bags.

The Mana's are type 2 and they rock. The little Hokua's are type 2 also.

Wood really makes a board ding resistant!

I haven't seen any ASTs that had rubberized decks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:37:36 PM by DW »

randal.brown

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
Thanks DW from a closer look at Naish's website I see the following differences

"AST"
 - Glass composite lamination (Versus biax glass on the Sandwich Construction).  I'd be suprised if they don't use biaxial glass on the AST.
 - Wood veneer in stance area (Versus full wood veneer on the sandwich wood construction).
 - Matte finish (As opposed to glossy on the sandwich)
 - Uni-Directional glass stringer (As opposed to no stringer on the sandwich construction)

"Sandwich Wood"
 - PVC in stance area
 - Full wood veneer sandwich
 - Glossy finish

So is the full veneer worth it?  My guess is that they must use a heavier glass layup on the AST to compensate for the veneer.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
My understanding on the AST (advanced sandwich technology) is the AST is a material that's used instead of carbon.. and still used with the wood.

I think it's slightly more durable and slightly heavier.

BTW the new AST boards here now come in a gloss yellow finish.

DJ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »

So is the full veneer worth it?  My guess is that they must use a heavier glass layup on the AST to compensate for the veneer.

That is my belief too. AST is just the spin, marketing people like to put on things.

People generally out grow their first SUP quickly, so spending a lot isn't always the best option.

If you read the specs on the Oxbow, you'll see there is no wood at all. Just one layer of glass on the bottom and 2 on the deck. Whether they use a stringer or dense blank to compensate is not specified. I would assume they have to use one or the other, but maybe not.

Back 2 summers ago when I was a bigger kook than I am now, and owned a Chinese made PSH with 1 layer 6oz on the bottom and 2 layers on the deck. I averaged one ding per month. I had 5 ding repairs in 5 months, then I sold it. That glassing schedule might be good for experienced people, but not for kooks. In fairness to PSH, my board was 1.5# EPS, but I've since learned you can't always trust foam blank suppliers to deliver the promised density. Sometimes they cut corners and supply foam way below what they claim.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:47:07 PM by DW »

PDXSTANDUPGUY

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Randal,

I bought the Naish 11.6 AST as my 1st board last year with idea of handing down to wifey/2nd board you get the idea. Anyway it has served me very well to kook out on. Not a single ding! I put rail tape (newbie) on it and I'm sure that helped but it sure is dumb looking! Especially now that it's starting to peel in spots.
I went with Naish cuz he's here local and I'll probably buy a 12.0 Glide next!

Good luck......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal