Author Topic: Naish 14'?  (Read 4771 times)

judoChop!

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Naish 14'?
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »
anyone tried both the 14' glide and the 14' AST glide?
is it worth the extra bucks to upgrade construction?
yeah, it's lighter.. but I'm weary of how much difference that ACTUALLY makes.

thanks guys.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naish 14'?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
I've used both and I recommend getting the yellow AST version.. Unless you really want the board bag that comes with the white wood/carbon version or you don't mind paying the extra.

I think the AST is a little more durable and only slightly heavier than the white and once you're on the water it's hard to tell the difference.. in fact I can't.

I have the white and so do three of my friends and I also have four other friends with the yellow AST.. Jeez they're a great board and such a good price..  :)

I have the 14 in white and the 12 in yellow..  8)

DJ

judoChop!

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
thanks. That verifies my guess.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
DavidJohn,
How would you compare the Naish 12 to the 14?  I thinking about getting a board and also thinking that I'll stay in the 12'6" and under class to stay out of the arms race.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:13:26 AM »
IMO the Naish 14 is so much a better board than the 12 and considering they're both about the same price I think you'd be mad not to get the 14.

I'm not saying the 12 is not good it's just that the 14 is soooo so good..  ;D .

The 14 is quicker up wind.. down wind.. and even on glassy water.. and also more stable.. How much racing are you going to do?

I'd think more about your everyday paddling and enjoyment rather than compromise just so you can do the odd race.

It's a bit like those people that choose a smaller wave type board so they get better wave performance in the surf even though they paddle 90% on flat water.. I think they're mad.

The only reason that I'd choose the 12 over the 14 is for the easier lifting onto the car roof and off and also for easier storage if that's an issue.

DJ
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:17:09 AM by DavidJohn »

chad_s

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:49:36 PM »
I am considering my first board purchase.  I am up in the Pacific Northwest and expect to be paddling on flatwater 90% of the time, but downwinding sounds like fun and I definitely expect to be using the board for that some of the time.  Would the Naish 12 or 14 be a good board for this mix of usage?  If not does anyone have recommendations for other boards to demo? Great forum.  Thanks for any advice.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:55 AM »
I am considering my first board purchase.  I am up in the Pacific Northwest and expect to be paddling on flatwater 90% of the time, but downwinding sounds like fun and I definitely expect to be using the board for that some of the time.  Would the Naish 12 or 14 be a good board for this mix of usage?  If not does anyone have recommendations for other boards to demo? Great forum.  Thanks for any advice.

How heavy are you.. and do you want to do down-winders as in flat water with a gentle breeze behind you.. or real down-winders in strong winds with big swells?

DJ

chad_s

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 07:55:30 AM »
I am 6'3" and 190 lbs.  I would like to do some real downwinders with real swells.  I am a surfer that doesn't surf much anymore since moving inland.  Downwinding sounds like a lot of fun.  However I am willing to compromise and have better flatwater performance for awhile as I gain experience.  Most of my time will be spent on local lakes and Puget Sound.  I figure as I get better and time goes on I will end up with a board specifically for downwinding.  Especially since flatwater paddling seems to be geared more towards displacement hulls and downwinders utilize planing hulls.  For now though the cost of the a board will limit me to one for the next year or so.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
Defiantly get yourself a 14 then.. and the AST 14's are a very good price for such a great board.

DJ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
Got word last night that the 14' wood/carbon is being shipped out for the CCBC raffle. Should get it next week....can't wait to see it. We'll have it on display at all this summers events and be selling tickets for $10. Winner will be announced at the CCBC after party on Aug 14th. Someone is going to be very stoked... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
Hey Bob.. You might have to test it out to make sure it's not broken..  ;D

It's great that Naish have got behind your event and donated a great board like that.

DJ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:51:04 PM »
Hey Bob.. You might have to test it out to make sure it's not broken..  ;D

It's great that Naish have got behind your event and donated a great board like that.

DJ

I'm going to be very tempted that's for sure. Going to leave here a unridden for her 1st owner though...only right....maybe I'll get lucky and they'll let me try her out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal