Author Topic: Starboard SUP (price)  (Read 16491 times)

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
  • Goodbye, Sunshine. Daddy misses you.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - katzkillz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard SUP (price)
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
Went out today and did a "test drive" on a Star-board Big Easy 12'x32".  The board felt really good and stable and still had a decent amount of glide to it, in spite of my wide load a** mounted on top.  

This is a used board, at a local place that does instruction/eco-tours etc.  The board seemed to be in very good shape, not much wear on the rails, traction pad looked almost new and no major flaws that I could see in the board, top or bottom.

The asking price for it is $1,000.  I know SUP boards are inherently expensive, relatively speaking when it comes to surfing, but, I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not this is a good price for a board like this.

I don't know much about the Starboards, though, I have seen them mentioned on here and a few other places, usually in a positive light, but I am doing my homework.

This felt much more comfortable than the 12'x30" Infinity that I rode this past weekend.  So, I'm considering the board and figured you all, more than anyone I have access to here, would know the answer to the question.

Thanks in advance for any input.

BD

Oh...I also found a 12'x32" Aipa (used) for less than $900.  However, I'm thinking, after a little research, maybe this is not one of those things that would be qualified as a "good beginner board"?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:19:51 PM by BrittanysDad »

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
Re: Starboard SUP (price)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
Starboards are really good and it sounds like you really like the board, I would say though, for a used board you should be able to get them down a bit on the price,  find out what year it is, maybe you can get them down to $850
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
The price of the board depends on the construction.
Starboard makes the Big Easy (and every model) in 4 different constructions.

The Startouch is the least expensive. (this year Blue / last year Yellow)
Then comes the Tuff Skin (this year Black Camo or Candy Stripe / Last year Black or Blue Camo or Candy)
Next is the TAC construction (all wood) last year called Sport Tech - Wood nose area with a white deck pad / red rails and bottom.
The top construction is Technora - all white with some graphics.

So it depends which one it was.
if it was the top 2 - TAC / Sport Tech OR Technora - it is a very good price.

Hope that helps.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »
I have the same board.  It was great to start on, but I wanted a bit less for the surf after a few months.  I was riding it between 250 - 260 lbs. I bought a second board as my primary surf board, but kept the Big Easy as a river board.  Don't get me wrong, it held it's own in overhead surf after riding it in Hurricane Bill, but it wasn't exactly what the board was designed to do.      

Do you know what year and what type of construction it is? Hate to be a basher, but $1000 sounds a little rich no matter what construction it is given the fact it's used.  I have the Sport Tech with the wood veneer, which was one of the higher end models when I bought last year.  I'll give you a better deal on mine if you're serious.  I'm just up the road from you in New Smyrna Beach and I'm in Brevard all the time.  Send me a PM or email if interested.      

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
$1000 or less for the Big Mr Easy is a good price if it is in super condition, or if it is one of the high end wood or TAC boards.  If it is a beatup super used board then $850 would be better.  These are $1399 or more new.  Used three times well worth the money.  Used daily in rental not so much.  It is a great first time board for a begginer.  I had one for a while and sold it for my Turtle.

The SouthCounty Turtle has better float and more stable and two feet shorter and surfs way better.  But you won't find  those used for sale only new for sale.

stillwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
The Big Easy is great beginner board. The price definately depends on the technology as Easy Rider states. Are you using for surf, flat water or both. I am at 2 bills & I prefer the Starboard 11'2" Blend for surfing but am downsizing to somewhere in the 10' range for manueverability in the bigger surf. The Starboard Cruiser has the same volume but a little longer & narrower. I find this board better for flatwater & it also surfed pretty well in the waist high range. But you can put your kid & your dog on the front of the Big Easy. It would be a fair price at $1000 if was in good condition & in the tuff skin technology (camo deck). Don't forget about the cost of a good paddle in your budget.

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
Any input on Aipa?  Specifically this one?

http://www.kingsurfhawaii.com/ben-aipa-sup-010.php

A shop has a used one for $850

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
I'd say $850 is more than fair for a REAL good shape Big Easy 1K is over priced or if it is anything other than "pristine" shape

there are a bunch of boards you can buy NEW for under a grand

I don't know anything about Aipa except I used one in hawaii last winter and it RIPPED (10FT Stinger X 31)

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
The SouthCounty Turtle has better float and more stable and two feet shorter and surfs way better.  But you won't find  those used for sale only new for sale.

If you don't mind, about how much is the SouthCounty Turtle?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »

If you don't mind, about how much is the SouthCounty Turtle?

That's a good question.  Haven't been able to find prices on their site, or anywhere else.  Not that they may not be posted, but, I'm apparently not that internet savvy, lol.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
I'd say $850 is more than fair for a REAL good shape Big Easy 1K is over priced or if it is anything other than "pristine" shape

there are a bunch of boards you can buy NEW for under a grand

I don't know anything about Aipa except I used one in hawaii last winter and it RIPPED (10FT Stinger X 31)

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

I have the 9'6 Aipa that is on that website.  That board is my favorite and I have had quite a few boards.  I am 190 lbs so I am a bit smaller.  They make that same board in 10'6 and 11'6 with quite a bit of volume.  You can't go wrong with an Aipa.  He is a master shaper.

stevenson91@cox.net

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
Get the Aipa. At 12' it should be stable and floaty enough for even a beginner. It will definitely be surfier, if thats what you want. The Starboards are pretty stable but Even at your weight I would think you would progress out of it immediately, and a grand is steep for a used big board like that. I started with the 11' jimmy lewis and I'm glad I spent some time on that big of a board, but I'm only 175 lb. You may like having the extra float and stability and it will be around for family and friends when you get to the point of wanting something more performance oriented.

Glenn

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:48 PM »
The Starboard Big Easy I looked at earlier this week is the 09 Tuff Skin version (blue camo full deck pad) with 2+1 set up.

EastFL also has a very nice looking Big Easy.  That I may try and take a look at this weekend, and, I am going to try and go take a look at the Aipa as well.

So far the Aipa has the best price (we're now down around $800), but, I realize price isn't everything and I am more concerned about quality, though both have gotten rave reviews here and other places, and what "feels right" under my feet.

If anyone has any more input, I will gladly take it.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Peace,
BD

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Done deal!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 04:10:39 PM »
Okay, I went with the Aipa.  The board from the other member on here was very nice too, and, after reading all the posts, the first Starboard was kind of out, based on price and the construction information.

Got the Aipa, deck pad, 2+1 fin set up, leash, roof straps for my truck and a brand new Werner paddle for just about $1K (with tax).

He cut the paddle for me and glued it, told me not to use it until tomorrow.  Threw in a handle for it (like I've seen some folks on here putting at the rear of their boards.

I had it in the water, using the borrowed paddle I have, less than 20 minutes after I got home.  

The intercoastal was bit choppier than the river I was on last weekend and I didn't take the current in to consideration.  So, given the chop, boat wakes, and current, I was back to looking like a bowl of Jell-O sitting on a washing machine in spin cycle, but, man....!  My wobbly legs on MY board.  THIS IS GOING TO ROCK!!!

I'm not very good with Photochop, so, the fat, bald guy in the wetsuit couldn't be edited.  My girlfriend likes it this way, but, I'm guessing it's going to frighten children, the elderly and small furry woodland creatures.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:40:27 PM by BrittanysDad »

petemc

• Waikiki Status
    • MSN Messenger - pmc44413@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »
Congrats...no turning back now.  Enjoy  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal