Author Topic: board transport issues...  (Read 5546 times)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
board transport issues...
« on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »
Hi everyone,
should of been in Maui by now. having real problems however getting a flight from Greece that will not charge me an absolute fortune for my board. last year i traveled with British Airways who was really cool with board transport but this year they changed their pollicy and no longer take boards. all the other companies i find are charging trough the roof. so my question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do if i came boardless ? do i hear someone suggesting bodysurfing ? thought of renting at Hightech but that would cost too much for the 6 weeks i want to stay. buy a board and sell it before i leave ? cut my board up in pieces and stuff it in my bag ? go Uli ? the one with the magic solution gets a free breakfast at Anthony's in Paia.

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: board transport issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
Order a Pope Bisect Standup board through one of the surfshops there before you go so that it gets sent there. Put the thing together and ride while you are there, then take it apart and stuff it in a bag to take back with you when you leave.
Just my 2 cents on the travel issue. Or either that rent and try to get a long term discount deal with a shop ther as you will be there awhile.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
Not sure how this works from Greece, but works pretty good from the US. Check into sending it ahead of time as common carrier / air freight. You will need a place that will recieve and store it for you, but you should be able to call a surfshop like Hightech and offer to pay them to do this. The way it works is you take it to the airport and they send it on a space available basic, so you don't know who transports it or when it will get there, but they can give you a good guess, say within  a week. Like I said, it works pretty good from the US, but I would guess that even booking a flight from Greece to Maui would be pretty difficult.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »
I think you could buy one here and resell pretty easily.....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
What is a fortune? You do undestand that $100-$120 is a deal. That is what they usually charge for boards flying with you.

Shipping by airline has new rules. You cannot ship by airline anymore in the US unless you are on the approved list. For an individual to get on the list, you pay the airline to come to your home and verify you are not a terrorist. I shipped a board recently and was forced to do it through the office shipping department to get around this new rule. The airlines charge $50 plus milage to come to your home and inspect you for the aprroved shippers list.

I wonder what the airlines look for? Blonde hair?

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
Hummmm... guess interisland is different than mainland shipping... got my board shipped Aloha Air Cargo from Honolulu for $35 (I think, or close).  Not that is any help in OP dilemma shipping from Greece... ;D

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »
The company we use is called land star shipping call 808 873 8300 Dave king is the guys name to speak to. If there is a problem maybe we can organize it for you from my shop. Lightning Bolt Maui 808 877 3484 I have done that for friends before. Had to ship a board from New York to Costa Rica. I did all the paperwork and ran it through our account so it could be shipped. 
Good Luck
Frank

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »
Hummmm... guess interisland is different than mainland shipping... got my board shipped Aloha Air Cargo from Honolulu for $35 (I think, or close).  Not that is any help in OP dilemma shipping from Greece... ;D

Nope, these are new TSA regulations. If you're not on the plane, you can't put cargo on it. It might be a bomb.

Only TSA approved shippers can ship on the airline.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »

Nope, these are new TSA regulations. If you're not on the plane, you can't put cargo on it. It might be a bomb.

Only TSA approved shippers can ship on the airline.

Yep I can second that.  I think this came up with someone else on this forum before but I would recommend to buy either a new or used one on island and then just put it on consignment when you leave.  When I used to work at Hi-Tech we had people doing this with windsurfing equipment all the time.  Just a lot easier to travel without the board.

Byronmaui

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »
I've got 5 and 2 more coming. They are 8'8 Psh, C4's starting in size of 9'0 through 10 and Kalama that you could rent for cheap if in a bind. All different tastes for riding and conditions. No this is not a business but willing to make a deal.

Aloha

Byron

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »
Dude call me 425-387-7258 I have a bro that can give you a deal on a really nice place to stay and include a board rental for a very reasonable price.  He has nice stuff.
 I may have some other options you might be able to try as well.  I wouldn't fly with it as they will charge you a ton and then possibly ruin your board in the process.  I paid 175 doallrs for Delta to break my new kiteboard that cost me 800 and then say I was SOL bastards.

aloha
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
Wow ! i wasn't expecting such numerous and helpfull responce from you guys, really apreciate it. goes to show that this newly formed sup surfing "fraternity" is much more positive and welcoming than most others. thanks a million for all the usefull tips and offers. will have to keep on looking and get back to some of you.

Gdub

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »
Love the site.

I think it would be great to have a sticky topic on travel that lists out travel locations and shops that rent, and the details on rentals (types of boards, hourly, daily, weekly rates).
With all of those in the business, as well as the amount of knowledge shared here, I think we'd have a pretty strong and helpful directory in no time at all.
What do you think?

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
Love the site.

I think it would be great to have a sticky topic on travel that lists out travel locations and shops that rent, and the details on rentals (types of boards, hourly, daily, weekly rates).
With all of those in the business, as well as the amount of knowledge shared here, I think we'd have a pretty strong and helpful directory in no time at all.
What do you think?
Makes sense to me (even though I don't really know what a sticky topic is LOL). I plan on traveling a number of times each year and these toys are not so fun to haul around. :-\

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »
I saw the new 10ft ULI inflatable board the other day that looked like it will perform well.  I think rolled up you could practically carry it on the plane-seriously.  Gives a new meaning to your seat bottom may be used as a floatation device ;D
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal