Author Topic: SIC F16 V2  (Read 46544 times)

Pureadrenalin

SIC F16 V2
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
How many of you are jumping on this Container load in June? Any thoughts on the new refinements made? How many of you had the chance to try the new version with the new Alladin type nose? Please share your feedback here let us know what you like compared to the older or should I say F16 version 1.

downwindaddiction

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIC F16 V2
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:41:21 PM »
Read 7 threads down Naish 17 or SIC 18.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Read 7 threads down Naish 17 or SIC 18.

Wow thanks for the info. ::)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
PA - My wife and I are contemplating purchasing one.  I'm trying to give one a paddle before pulling the trigger.  Other than that I have no info other than Evan's articles and what's on this board.

Truthfully I was a little skeptical of the Alladin's shoe nose but I guess you gotta try it to see if it works.  By giving it that much rocker it would have to shorten the water line a bit, and would it get pushed around in side chop?

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »
PA - My wife and I are contemplating purchasing one.  I'm trying to give one a paddle before pulling the trigger.  Other than that I have no info other than Evan's articles and what's on this board.

Truthfully I was a little skeptical of the Alladin's shoe nose but I guess you gotta try it to see if it works.  By giving it that much rocker it would have to shorten the water line a bit, and would it get pushed around in side chop?

Its great to know other people has different concerns regarding this these new refinements. One of mine was also since the new F16s being a better built board and made a bit stiffer how is compared to OC-1 hull vibration since it being a hollow core? Just need more questions answered because the SUP race boards are not becoming cheaper as we go deeper into this sport. I for one can't afford a new distance/race SUP everytime something new comes out. My Keiki gotta eat too. ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
I demo'ed one for about four days. Liked it a lot. So much that Diane is egging me on to buy one, but I'm a little board-heavy right now (NO, REALLY!!!).

It was quite a bit faster than my other boards, including my F18 planer. I didn't get to do a Maliko on it, just two southside runs though both were in strong winds and good sized swells, and one flatwater session.

The board feels light, though the first batch are not all that light--32 pounds I think Mark said, and the next set should be under 30, maybe 28#. the board feels rigid, but not in any bad way. No drumming or funny stuff. Very stable, quick to catch swells and hooks them up like crazy. I found I could stay in contact with the rudder a lot more than on my F18.

I think the slipper nose is a fortunate error. Mark said something along that line. It doesn't shorten the board, it's only a very short section turned sharply up, but it works very well to pull the nose up when you bury it in the back of a swell. However it got there, I'd keep it. No reduction in performance and it helps.

Overall, I'd say great board, perhaps the best I've been on. I want to get one out on a Maliko run, but overall I'd say no one will be disappointed with this board. If I could only have one downwinder board this would be it.

I'll be doing a Ke Nalu article on the board in the next few days.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:17:02 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
PB,

With that weight it sounds like it will play a big role with overall durability and longevity would not be at question. On another note you are saying the Alladin type nose was a mistake and not a SIC refinement to the shape? The lucky few that did get to try this new V2 on the Hawaii Kai run had the same thing to say regarding catching and ring bumps on Evan's write up on the V2.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »
I wish I could bend the nose of my Naish 17 into that Persian slipper shape but Dave mush have designed the more piercing nose on it for a reason.. I guess it's still early days and time will tell.

DJ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:15:22 AM »
PB,

With that weight it sounds like it will play a big role with overall durability and longevity would not be at question. On another note you are saying the Alladin type nose was a mistake and not a SIC refinement to the shape? The lucky few that did get to try this new V2 on the Hawaii Kai run had the same thing to say regarding catching and ring bumps on Evan's write up on the V2.

Mark considers the first shipment to be overbuilt. I suspect he's right. It's a very rigid feeling board. I suspect they will trim that down as they gain experience with the construction and reduce the weight more (the company that builds them makes OC-1s). Part of the rigidity is the use of prepreg carbon fiber and an autoclave, that should remain the same. It's so rigid that it doesn't feel like a hollow board.

I'm particularly impressed with the acceleration and maneuverability.

As you can see from the picture, the nose upkick happens in a short distance--part of the board that would normally be out of the water under most conditions--so it doesn't affect speed, it's not rocker. It's a sudden kick. Mark told me it was a mistake, but if so it's a fortunate one. It helps.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:21:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

al808

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:40:06 AM »
Hey Pono,
  I'm looking into getting a downwind board as well. I have narrow my choices to the NEW F16 v2, Maliko 14 or the Naish 14. I know your very knowledgeable  can you tell me which one is a good all around board for our Maui conditions? and why? Thanks in advance

Al

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
Hey Pono,
  I'm looking into getting a downwind board as well. I have narrow my choices to the NEW F16 v2, Maliko 14 or the Naish 14. I know your very knowledgeable  can you tell me which one is a good all around board for our Maui conditions? and why? Thanks in advance

Al

Hey man don't mean to bust your bubble but this thread is about the F16 V2. Not a comparison thread about 3 SUB's.

kseal3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
Hey Pono,

Al

Hey man don't mean to bust your bubble but this thread is about the F16 V2. Not a comparison thread about 3 SUB's.

Yes..lets hear more about the v2! Any opinions, comments, questions and most of all 1st hand riding experience on the v2 are most wanted here. I got mine coming on that first shipment just like some of you here who also want to take in as much as we can while we wait (patiently?) for that slow boat from China...

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
Hey Pono,

Al

Sorry but I am not trying to be an a-hole or mean any disrespect but just trying to keep this thread focus on the subject at hand. Like kseal mentioned we need as much input/feedback about the new F16-V2 before it arrives in June. Also the price did go up another 200.00 bucks so that is another factor on this subject to consider.

Yes..lets hear more about the v2! Any opinions, comments, questions and most of all 1st hand riding experience on the v2 are most wanted here. I got mine coming on that first shipment just like some of you here who also want to take in as much as we can while we wait (patiently?) for that slow boat from China...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
Hey Pono,
  I'm looking into getting a downwind board as well. I have narrow my choices to the NEW F16 v2, Maliko 14 or the Naish 14. I know your very knowledgeable  can you tell me which one is a good all around board for our Maui conditions? and why? Thanks in advance

Al

That's an impossible question. All three are very good boards and all three excel in some specific areas. Fortunately I think you can ride all three if you're on Maui. Contact Mark at the Ding King's to try the F16--he has a demo. Contact Bill Foote to arrange to try a Foote Maliko--there are lots of them on Maui, including mine, that you can probably try. And drop by the Naish shop to see if you can demo a Naish 14. I know Bill has his personal board for sale--might still be available.

If you want to talk about this more then start a new thread or PM me.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
PB,

Mark considers the first shipment to be overbuilt. I suspect he's right. It's a very rigid feeling board. I suspect they will trim that down as they gain experience with the construction and reduce the weight more (the company that builds them makes OC-1s). Part of the rigidity is the use of prepreg carbon fiber and an autoclave, that should remain the same. It's so rigid that it doesn't feel like a hollow board.

I'm particularly impressed with the acceleration and maneuverability.

As you can see from the picture, the nose upkick happens in a short distance--part of the board that would normally be out of the water under most conditions--so it doesn't affect speed, it's not rocker. It's a sudden kick. Mark told me it was a mistake, but if so it's a fortunate one. It helps.

PB,

Don't mean to be a bother but is it possible to get more pics of that F16 to enhance this thread?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal