Author Topic: Could it be...  (Read 6078 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Could it be...
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:03 AM »
Extended Forecast: Our local winds will remain light through most of the new week ahead, then perhaps become south to southwest ahead of a cold front arriving next weekend.

and

Our local winds will be getting lighter now, as a deep low pressure system NW of the islands pushes the high’s ridge down closer to the islands…gradually turning our winds light and variable to southeast later Sunday into Monday.

Man, has this been a windy stretch.  Lets hope this happens and we get some winter around here  :).

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Could it be...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:35:37 PM »
I'll drink to that :D  Trying to learn how to paddle in the near gales we've been haveing has been very interesting.  When the wind stopped for the eveing on Wednesday and I actually could venture outside (without risking a free trip to Tarawa . . .) it was awesome. 

Then again think of the alternatives - you could be in California with El Barrumba ::)  Might have to put on a sweater and see if I can get up to Wahiawa this afternoon 8)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
OAHU-
300 PM HST WED JAN 9 2008

HIGH SURF WARNING FOR NORTH AND WEST FACING SHORES TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY

Surf along north facing shores will be 20 to 25 feet this afternoon, reaching 25 to 30 feet tonight. Surf will remain at 25 to 30 feet Thursday.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
Watching couple guys towing Pier One right now.....  Yipeeeee... I'm playing hookie tomorrow.   ;D

Byronmaui

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:13:24 AM »
The swell is pushing waves into some spots in Kihei. Clean conditions this Am with shoulder to head high sets. I am glad everyone is running to the north side...lol

Aloha

Byron

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
Glad you scored it over there.  Only 2 or 3 guys out at Ho's and pretty much closed out. Tavares and Paia bay were at capacity, and Kanaha was full.  Even with the crowd, it was very fun at Kanaha.  Solid 4-6 feet and really consistant.  Some dumpers, but the ones that were holding were 30 second rides. 

Yeeeeoooowwwww!

Byronmaui

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:53:06 AM »
Wow what a difference a day makes? Yesterday Paddle surfed all by myself and this Am my spot is loaded like there is no tomorrow....lol...I am sending them back to Rand's neighborhood.

Aloha

Byron

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:38 AM »
I got flogged thursday evening at Kanaha, eight months away and it feels like I'm starting over at square one. Hit the reef hard, bounced around a lot. Then got held under later when I tried to bail out. http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/2008/01/09/caught-in-the-undertoad/ Yesterday I decided on discretion and went to thousand peaks. Great day in waist to shoulder high waves and a lot of knee slappers. What a chicken, but I'll get it back. Here for at least five months.

Hey Randy, did you get my email?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
I got flogged thursday evening at Kanaha

PB - Dont feel too bad ... I got humbled too Thursday at Kanaha... By the time I made it out the wind had come up and it just didnt feel good... Only caught a couple decent ones and called it a day after an hour or so. Bummers...  I just really like glass.. Maybe this weekend. Dang job sure gets in the way sometimes.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
Today was really fun over there again, but a full on zoo.  Something in the tide/swell direction...actually no idea why, but the peak was shifted way over to the right and was steeper than usual.  Later drops, more punishment.  The inside was not working that well so it was the peak or nothing, and there were sooooo many drop ins.  Some great rides, some frustration.  All in all really fun.  Tomorrow AM should be fun again as this thing fades out a bit, but the casters are saying we are going to get rain and wind from the north sometime tomorrow, so early does it.

Now, 4 lbs of Staufer's Lasgana  :P.

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »
Had a lot of fun at Kanaha this week but also took some beatings. Many beatings.  Today went so far as to have my board ripped out of my hands by a sneaker set and it dragged me and dragged me. Then tink the leash snapped and it was the first wave of the set. that was the end of my session.  It sucked swimming in all that way looking for my board. Finally found it after about 15 minutes of swimming and dodging sets on the head. I went in and was still late for work. Have not found a real comfortable easy way to swim with the paddle yet. Anybody else know a easy way to swim with your paddle in hand?

Saw Randy get a couple of sweeeeeet waves today on his new board.
Go Randy Go Randy Go Randy Go Randy

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 07:37:34 PM »
Pier One....

Took a bunch this evening...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:01:39 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »
The Waimea readings have gone from 7 feet 20 seconds to 18 feet 20 seconds in 5 hour hours (and climbing fast).  20 seconds!  Hoping that we get some wrap from this one, because it looks like it will be huge, with windy junk on the NS. 

Pat Caldwell:

HIGH SURF WARNING FOR BUILDING SURF ALONG NORTH AND WEST FACING SHORES

Surf along north facing shores will be increasing to heights of 25 to 35 feet through Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:48:15 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
My knees and elbows look like someone worked me over with a mop handle. Oh, well.

I think I scared Brother Bob (Stoneaxe). He thinks I'm setting him up to get worked. I have a certain reputation with my brothers. Bunch of weenies.

I've been out of the water for two days working of stuff for the board Showcase. I don't mind working on the weekends--the beach is too crowded anyway. I'm building a steadycam/jib to stick in the mast hole of my Hobie Adventure Island Trimaran. Not pretty, but I think it will work. Should be able to take some killer video with it, though the prospect of going over the falls in that rig is a little nervewracking. I bought a helmet cam with an extension cable to use both on the jib and on a helmet. If you see a big dork doing standup with a blue helmet anytime soon, it's ME!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Byronmaui

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 09:37:26 PM »
Northshore of Maui nice and windy today. Oh well hopefully the winds subside.
Yesterday was another fun day on the south side. Caught head high waves out in front of the Villas at Kenolio and later ended up at the cove with chest high conditions. Great to have a strong west push.

Aloha

Byron

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal