Author Topic: Width, Vee, stability and performance  (Read 2098 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Width, Vee, stability and performance
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
I have to finalize the design on my custom 9'4 Kazuma very soon. It will be pretty similar to Rand's 9'4, but with some tweeks to make it a little bit easier to balance and to get some more speed in mushy waves.

Rand's board is 27.5 with slight vee in tail. I will have mine made with a little bit more volume and width in tail but thinking of another tweak to make it even a notch more stable: I want to have max stability without sacrificing to much performance.

Either it should be 27.5'' wide with no vee what so ever, or it should be 27.75 with a very slight vee in tail.

What will increase stability with as little negative impact as possible on performance?

Best,

Jesper

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Width, Vee, stability and performance
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »
Whats the fin setup? If youre going to run quads, you want to move the vee (minimal) for of the fins than flatten it out around the back of the front fin. that will make it easier to transfer rail to rail.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Width, Vee, stability and performance
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »
Hi Jesper,
I think you will be fine with that design very close to as is.  It is very stable.  I personally don't like any vee in the mid section.  My guess is that after you hop on that 9'4, the last thing you are going to be thinking is how do I get this thing on it's rail?  :D.  No vee is required, although in the wayback only, it wouldn't likely effect your stability at all.  Even a little bit of vee underfoot makes a huge difference in terms of stability while standing still.

My new board has light concave to double concave with no vee rail to rail.  That gets rid of that irritating tiny rail to rail see-saw motion.  Good riddance.  You may also want to ask Matt about putting in the heavier double concave toward the tail like he did on the 8'4 board That Frank is now riding.  Two days ago he was ripping some of the fastest carving cutbacks I have seen on stand up. 
The 9'4 board is very good, so I would hesistate to change too much.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal