Author Topic: Naish 17" or S.I.C. 18  (Read 14007 times)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
Re: Naish 17" or S.I.C. 18
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
Evan,
I've watched many of your videos, they are so informational.  Thanks for all you share. 

PA,
Getting a custom board for your weight, paddle style, playground, sounds like an awesome project!  I'm curious to hear what Mark would recommend.  Keep us updated and of course we expect pictures when it's complete!

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »
Evan,
I've watched many of your videos, they are so informational.  Thanks for all you share. 

Takeo - Thanks for your comments.

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 04:36:02 AM »
I've tried various custom shapes and so far I prefer the production F-16 v2 but that could change.  I have another displacement F-14 coming in a couple weeks that is a custom.  We'll see how that one rides. 

What's gonna happen to your other fw? Any big changes for the new board?

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 09:13:48 AM »
PA - Was that you I saw in Maunalua Bay on Doug's F-18?  I was with my brother on the F-16 v2 and F-18. 

At your height and weight, you may want to also consider an F-14.  They fit in the trough better on the Hawaii Kai run and feel much more 'lively'.  The f-14's are really fun and surfy feeling on the HK run.  Doug seems to like riding 12'6" and 14' non rudder for the HK run.  He's fast on the JL 12'6". 

I've tried various custom shapes and so far I prefer the production F-16 v2 but that could change.  I have another displacement F-14 coming in a couple weeks that is a custom.  We'll see how that one rides. 

Evan,

I am diggin that F16-V2 it seems to be the talk of the town right now. Might have to jump on one of those. I like that Part 2 video of Mark how he explains and points out the differences in the 4 parts of hull effectiveness. That is what I look for in a surfing SUB bottom design and so far that is what worked for me.

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »

What's gonna happen to your other fw? Any big changes for the new board?

The FW-14 that I got was too thin for my weight so I'm getting another one with more volume and we sold the first one to a 150 lbs rider.  I think the nose is a little different on the new one in that it's more of a canoe style nose and less thick...still displacement style but with a little lift.

Evan,

I am diggin that F16-V2 it seems to be the talk of the town right now. Might have to jump on one of those. I like that Part 2 video of Mark how he explains and points out the differences in the 4 parts of hull effectiveness. That is what I look for in a surfing SUB bottom design and so far that is what worked for me.

For the F series boards, so far I like the F-16 v2 the best because it takes less effort to catch bumps and get up to speed.  It's way different from the Bark and other boards.  I know it sounds like I'm pitching this board a lot but it really is a different class which is why I'm so excited about it.  It's also quite a bit better in performance compared to the F-16 v1.  Three of my friends who tried it and have F-16 v1, custom F-14 and custom F-15 ordered the v2 last week.  If I didn't already have it, I would have done the same. 

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
thanks  Admin for the offer but I prefer to do the testing here where I be doing most of my paddling. The two boards that I am considering Doug Lock actually owns both of them. With that being said it is only fair to consider or test either SUB in the paddling enviroment I will be paddling  majority of the time.

I can see that.  Try to get out on an F-16 built for a smaller person.  The one Mark made for Chan is unreal.  These boards can come in at 23-25 lbs and feel way different than their bigger brothers.

Would you happen to know what the dimensions is on Chan's SIC?

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »
One noticeable feature of the v2 is the stiffness increase over the Hawaii made versions.  I really prefer the added stiffness.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Would you happen to know what the dimensions is on Chan's SIC?

15'6" x 25" x 6"

Chan and Devin are both significantly faster on this board than on my F-16.  The difference gets much greater for them as the wind gets lighter.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:44:29 PM by Admin »

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »
evan,
any idea what type of construction the new x14 will be? hollow, autoclav, or molded type.

that F16 v2 looks soo sic

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
evan,
any idea what type of construction the new x14 will be? hollow, autoclav, or molded type.

I'm not sure but my guess is a sandwich of some sort.  I'll ask Mark.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »
I agree.. That new F16 V2 is the best looking down wind board that I've ever seen.. Thanks for your vids Evan.

DJ

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:05 AM »
evan,

What's New @ SIC:  The X14, the X12 and the S16 are all being tooled up to come out into production. The X-Series was developed with the  short course racing scene (e.g. BoP) in mind.  In developing the X-14 and stock class X-12, we focussed on speed, sufficient stability and volume with some surf control and a light weight carbon composite construction.  The X14 comes with fixed fin as well as steering equipped.The new X12 and X14 will be distributed world-wide by the fall of 2010. Detailed dimension and prices will be published soon. The Maui-built S-16 is available with a flat deck for mild bumps and flat water paddling or the open-ocean option: with a curved aluminum iako connection (easy dismantling option) and a split deck for wave clearance.
S16 price: $4380

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
evan,

What's New @ SIC:  The X14, the X12 and the S16 are all being tooled up to come out into production. The X-Series was developed with the  short course racing scene (e.g. BoP) in mind.  In developing the X-14 and stock class X-12, we focussed on speed, sufficient stability and volume with some surf control and a light weight carbon composite construction.  The X14 comes with fixed fin as well as steering equipped.The new X12 and X14 will be distributed world-wide by the fall of 2010. Detailed dimension and prices will be published soon. The Maui-built S-16 is available with a flat deck for mild bumps and flat water paddling or the open-ocean option: with a curved aluminum iako connection (easy dismantling option) and a split deck for wave clearance.
S16 price: $4380

I really hope the price for the S16 comes down some so I can add one to my quiver.lol

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 09:23:54 AM »
We recently purchased a Naish 17' and was very surprised how well this SUB performs. I took it on a Hawaii Kai run and this SUB just wants to go and go. It connects bumps with ease and its fast. The nose seems to be the most trickiest it really acts like a canoe type front piercing through the water. After I caught on to this SUB its like you don't have to even push it hard to get it going onto the bumps its really fun. What surprises me the most is why you don't see more guys out there with a Naish 17'.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »
For the F series boards, so far I like the F-16 v2 the best because it takes less effort to catch bumps and get up to speed.  It's way different from the Bark and other boards.  I know it sounds like I'm pitching this board a lot but it really is a different class which is why I'm so excited about it.  It's also quite a bit better in performance compared to the F-16 v1.  Three of my friends who tried it and have F-16 v1, custom F-14 and custom F-15 ordered the v2 last week.  If I didn't already have it, I would have done the same. 

You're not alone, I'm extremely happy with the V2 as well. If I wasn't headed back to Hood River I'd be scheming on a way to jump the line. It's really amazing at catching bumps and fast everywhere. If nothing fantastic emerges in the next six months it will be my next board. Though I gotta say Scott Trudon's new F18 looks pretty amazing. Until I dump 30 more pounds those long boats are going to keep looking mighty good.

Ninja, I need to try the Naish 17, it doesn't LOOK right for bumps, but as we've all learned, that doesn't mean it won't work. I've seen Dave on his a few times, and he seems to be doing whatever is necessary to keep the nose out of the wave backs (including yanking it up to about waist height). But that might just be a max speed thing, and his board probably isn't the production model anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal