Author Topic: Handle inspiration - absolutely nothing to do with SUP  (Read 3485 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Handle inspiration - absolutely nothing to do with SUP
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:52 PM »
How long would it take to shape a paddle with this? This is my oldest woodworking tool.

I found this stone axe while mowing between the trees on my treefarm. You can see the mark where I hit it with the lawnmower. I actually threw it in the woods but noticed it felt and looked unusual just as I tossed it.

An archeological dig was done years later about 1/4 mile behind my house along the path of a new road being constructed. They found a major settlement right behind my house. I spoke with the women in charge of the dig and she said the axe is between 5,000 and 8,000 years old.

She showed me a number of blades and axes that had been ceremonially buried with a body that were amazing. Finely polished and still very sharp edged. I was surprised by the quality. It looked like it had been machined. In the hands of the person capable of shaping that axe I imagine almost anything could be built. Makes my struggles to build a nice paddle with all the modern tools almost seem silly.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: Handle inspiration - absolutely nothing to do with SUP
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:46:18 PM »
Don't suppose this has anything to do with your on-line name :)
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:41 AM »
Stoneaxe...an area between Corolla and Carova ( northern NC Outer Banks) ..at low tide, are the remains of an ancient maritime forest. Loads of Cedar tree stumps lining a beautiful surf zone. Just makes you wonder what the Indians did on those epic days. Then Captain John Smith crowded the lineup!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
I wonder if they cut down the trees to make boards and paddles.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal