Author Topic: Starboard Element, 9'8" Pro, 10' 5" Gun Pro, PSH 10'!!  (Read 6308 times)

RKC11

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Element, 9'8" Pro, 10' 5" Gun Pro, PSH 10'!!
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »
Ive been SUP surfing for almost a year now and loving it. 
I've been surfing for 30 yrs before that, short and longboards. I'm 148 lbs. and I'm currently riding a PSH 9'3" ripper and an Oxbow 11' cruiser.  The Ripper is a sweet board in the surf from 1 ft. to overhead.  One of my favorite breaks is almost a mile paddle away, and when it's glassy I'll take the Ripper.  When it's bumpy/choppy I'll take the 11 footer.  The beauty of the big board is obviously the glide and ease of paddling getting to the spot. The other benefit is the stability of the 11'x30"'s.
The down size is the lack of performance of the bigger, heavier log when riding the wave. On the choppy days (when on the 9"3") I have to shorten my session due to leg fatigue, and some strength for the paddle home. Fatigue is never a factor on the big 11'.
I'm looking at getting something "in between" what I already have, for when it's onshore and bumpy.  I'm thinking about a board in the 9'8 to 10' range to add to my growing quiver.
These are the boards I'm looking at:
Starboard Element 9'8"
Starboard 9'8" Pro
Starboard 10'5 Gun Pro
10' PSH AA
In the perfect world I'd demo all of these models before making a decision. Unfortunately that's not an option in my area.  Your input, suggestions, and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Element, 9'8" Pro, 10' 5" Gun Pro, PSH 10'!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
My recommendation is to buy the PSH 10', and sell the Ripper to me....

:)

No, really, I've surfed the PSH All around at 140 lbs and think its a great board.

RKC11

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:36:28 PM »
My recommendation is to buy the PSH 10', and sell the Ripper to me....

:)

No, really, I've surfed the PSH All around at 140 lbs and think its a great board.
Chipmonk, If I didn't love the Ripper some much, I might consider that.  I had a good session on it today.
Thanks for the PSH 10' AA input.  Before I got the Ripper, I had a 9'2"AA which was a pretty darn good surfer board, too.
Maybe the PSH 10' AA is the "missing link" of my quiver?
Any other opinions?

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
I'll just add that I owned the 9'2 AA...for about 5 days. I never gelled with it. I greatly preferred the handglassed 9'6 AA, and was really surprised by how different they felt. I admit that I didnt give it a fair shot because I was concerned about turning the thing around.  The 9'2 AA had what seemed like more rocker, and that combined with the extra weight of the molded, made it seem like it didnt catch waves that well to me. The 10'3 (?) AA I surfed was also an early handglassed one, and it also ripped for its size, paddled awesome. So my feeling was, keep the AA a lil longer so they can shine with their paddle and glide, and when you want to push on the board, surf the Ripper. I got to surf the 9'3 Ripper recently and really liked it, and of course for lightweights like us, it was STILL a ridiculously large board. My custom Stamps 8'10 is way less volume than the Ripper. The Ripper still had a lot of paddle glide, I felt. Good times, love the PSH boards. Saving money right now for when the new ones sail into town.

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
Keep what you got!

midwest

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »
I was in a similar position and wanted a board to paddle some distance to the waves. I bought a SB 9'8 Element  but I was disappointed  with the wave performance then it snapped and I replaced it with a JL 9'9 mano which I am much happier with.

RKC11

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »
Keep what you got!

I plan on keeping the 9'3 ripper and the 11'0 Oxbow.  Just look for something in the middle. ;D

SUP Dork

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
Central cal, I just got the starboard 10'3" pro gun, surfed it in double over head plus the first day and it worked great! lots of glide. very loose in bigger surf. would be a good board for long paddle and still surf good. i am 160lbs and have a 9'3' ripper 12'0" Psh gun, 8'5" pocket Rocket. live on the central coast so if you would like to try, let me know? Ken

RKC11

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
Central cal, I just got the starboard 10'3" pro gun, surfed it in double over head plus the first day and it worked great! lots of glide. very loose in bigger surf. would be a good board for long paddle and still surf good. i am 160lbs and have a 9'3' ripper 12'0" Psh gun, 8'5" pocket Rocket. live on the central coast so if you would like to try, let me know? Ken

That would be awesome, Ken.  I'm in Morro Bay.  I've been waiting to hear about the SB 10'3". 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal