Author Topic: Hawaii Tsunami Warning!  (Read 9047 times)

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Hawaii Tsunami Warning!
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:51:45 AM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12055046

The estimated arrival time in Hawaii of the first tsunami wave is 11:19 AM Hawaiian time Saturday February 27 2010.

Jared K.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Tsunami Warning!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:34:16 AM »
Still up watching Keahi Tucker.  Damn, I was all loaded up to dawn patrol too.  Better stock up on adult beverages.  Stay safe everyone.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »
This Warning has been issued for all shores of all islands.

Hawaii prepares evacuations ahead of tsunami
HONOLULU
Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04am ESTRelated NewsTsunami in Hawaii threatens islands- US agency
7:17am EST
Strong quake strikes east of Taiwan
Sun, Feb 7 2010HONOLULU (Reuters) - Hawaii prepared to start evacuations ahead of a tsunami generated by a massive earthquake in Chile, a civil defense official on the U.S. island said on Saturday.

U.S.  |  Natural Disasters

It planned to sound civil defense sirens across the island state at 6 a.m. local time (11 a.m. EST) after the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said a tsunami was generated that could cause damage along the coasts of all the Hawaiian islands,

"Get off the shore line. We are closing all the beaches and telling people to drive out of the area," said John Cummings, Oahu Civil Defense spokesman.

Buses will patrol beaches and take people to parks in a voluntary process expected to last five hours.

More than an hour before sirens were due to sound lines of cars snaked for blocks from gas stations in Honolulu.

"Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property," the Warning Center said in a bulletin. "All shores are at risk no matter which direction they face."

The center has issued a Pacific-wide tsunami warning that included Hawaii and stretched across the ocean from South America to the Pacific Rim.

Geophysicist Victor Sardina said the Hawaii-based center was urging all countries included in the warning to take the threat very seriously.

"Everybody is under a warning because the wave, we know, is on its way. Everybody is at risk now," he said in a telephone interview.

The warning follows a huge earthquake in Chile that killed at least 82 people and triggered tsunamis up and down the coast of the earthquake-prone country.

The center estimates the first tsunami, which is a series of several waves in succession, will hit Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. Hawaii time (4:19 p.m. EST) in the town of Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii, with waves in Honolulu at 11:52 a.m.

Sardina said the Hawaiian islands could expect waves of six feet (two meters) in some places. Other estimates have been higher but he could not confirm those were likely.

Sardina said the center was looking at Hilo Bay on Hawaii Island as a worst-case scenario right now.

"The shape of the bay favors the waves gaining in height," he said in a telephone interview.

He said California and Alaska could also be affected, but the impact on those coasts should be minimal.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 08:42:57 AM »
Still up watching Keahi Tucker.  Damn, I was all loaded up to dawn patrol too.  Better stock up on adult beverages.  Stay safe everyone.

I was ready to roll out and bless my new board until I got a call 4:30 this morning get one Tsunami watch. Oh well rather be safe and surf another day always another day. Every be safe and take care the ohana. ALoha
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:46:11 AM by Pureadrenalin »

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
Wow - Another earthquake...larger than Port-Au-Prince...Crazy..

Tsnuami warnings eveywhere...

I hope it all turns out ok. 

Best Wishes to all the islands of Hawaii.
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
It takes a quiver to do that.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

lamontweaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »
Latest word I got from HPR is consistent 3 footers for Oahu. Who's ready to paddle out?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
Maybe we'll be able to watch it happen here @ the camp one cam,,,,,,,, assuming it happens~
http://www.mauiwindcam.com/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:57:51 AM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
I imagine Hilo is pretty much evacuated. They get really pasted by south american earthquake tsunamis. The 1960 one was really bad, I read a book about it a few years ago. It probably won't be all that much on the rest of the islands.

We've had calls all morning from relatives and friends that want to make sure I don't go out in the water. My reputation for nuttiness is well deserved, but Diane has clamped herself on my leg, hidden the car keys, and has turned a deaf ear to my diatribe about how cool it would be to be out on the water in a tsunami and how these long period waves won't do much until they hit shallow water.

In truth, Hawaii is way "overdue" for a nasty tsunami, there's good reason to be careful of these things. Good to see the emergency plan working smoothly (smoothly being a relative term in emergencies). We had a helicopter with siren blaring over our house about 6:00AM. No fixed sirens nearby. I had just gone back to bed after learning the race was canceled.

In the unlikely event of serious local damage, Ponohouse is about 300'--we'd need a noah's ark event to have problems. If you're on Maui and need anything, get in touch. either PM or call. My cell is five oh three nine three six seven six six zero
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:13:34 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »
Hope everyone stays safe here in Hawaii and in all impacted coastal zones today.  Our sympathies go out to the Chilean people as they deal with the devastation caused by this massive quake. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
My heart goes out to the folks that have been devastated by the quake.  8.8 is the most powerful I've ever heard of.  

I seem to recall an earthquake up in Alaska that was way up high and moved a lot of real estate...

Unfortunately, I'm in the projected inundation zone.  I'm about 200 yards from water.  Safety is up the road about a half mile.    

My important stuff is loaded on the truck and ready to go if necessary.  My plan is to watch TV and the live camera shots of Hilo Bay.  If Hilo gets it, I'm on the road.  Kahului is due 20 minutes after Hilo.

Unfortunately, the waves can be 20 minutes apart, with the 3rd wave sometime the largest...  

Well, ten minutes to go for Hilo.  Better go get my laundry off the line...

edit.  Oh man this is classic.  A tourist was wading in the surf at Wiakiki.  The TV people were calling him bad names...  A helo came down to chase him out...    

11:37 -  here it comes..  Scary to see that water go out like that.. :( :( :(  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:40:40 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
Hey Larry, if you wind up needing a place to stay, mi casa, su casa. It doesn't look like it right now, but tsunamis are sneaky buggers. Just don't make the mistake people in Hilo did after the '60 quake and think that the second or third wave is all of it. Wait a couple of hours if there is any inundation from the first few waves. Most people in Hilo were killed by the third wave when they decided it was fine and went back home.

8.8 is a very large wake, but the measurements are limited in accuracy until a lot of them are combined. Richter scale is actually a damage assessment, the modern numbers are based on acceleration and converted to richter-like numbers because the public has a better basis for understanding them. There have been modern quakes that had an estimated intensity of 9.2. the scale is logrithmic so that's a substantially bigger quake than 8.8 and a far bigger quake than 7.0--at least in terms of accelerations.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »

Thanks for the offer Bill.  

TV reports have been spooky to watch, but on the whole, rather positive.  But, as everyone says, we are not out of the woods yet.  It's a BIG ocean, nuff said.  

Should be some good stories coming out of this one.  A witness at Kahului says the harbor was draining very quickly.  NOA guy says it went down 1 meter.

It's an hour into the event and the water is rushing out of Hilo Bay again...

NOA guy says we have probably 'dodged a bullet'. And that this was the best type of tsunami.  People can see that something happened, but no great losses.  He did mention tha the island chain is very complex and that 'constructive interference can still create large waves..

Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal