Author Topic: United Cargo Killed my New Foote Maliko 14 Arrrrrrg!  (Read 12728 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: United Cargo Killed my New Foote Maliko 14 Arrrrrrg!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
Shippers always should write: top load only, Fragile GLASS, Do NOT fork lift.

Always open + inspect before you sign for any shipment and refuse the shipment of your damaged SUP
The last claim that i had with a trucking company (business related) settlement was for 1% of the total claim
So be very persistant on this one.   

A great sticker that I have used on the box is "Caution - High Claim Item"   It may not effect the guy driving the forklift - but they get the attention of his boss.

Also - - ALWAYS insure the board for it's full value - yes it costs more - but is worth it in the long run.
Purolator Courier in Canada has "bought" 2 boards from me this season.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
First, my sympathy regarding the destruction of that beautiful board.  No amount of careful packing could have protected it from that amount of negligence by the carrier.

That said, for claims purposes it is valuable to document how the board was packed.  Take photos, as you pack it, and keep any receipts for packing materials, boxes, etc.  The advice to insure for full retail value is sound.  Often, it won't cost much more than insuring it for 70% value or something lower. 

I shipped a 10-0 longboard from the Bay Area to Boston last summer, and it arrived in perfect condition.  I did include labels that said no forklift, fragile, etc, and bought the full retail value insurance.  I also shipped terminal to terminal, and hand carried the box into the shipper's warehouse.  I'm not sure if that made a difference, but it made me feel a little better.  FYI, the company was Pilot Freight, and the rates were very reasonable.

downwindaddiction

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
Here is a little update on my saga. United Cargo Claims has settled the case in my favor. They have issued a check to Bill for $2500, the full amount of value. In addition, they only reimbursed me $68 of the original $110 shipping costs Maui to LAX, stating the will not reimburse taxes, 911 terror tax etc... Bill is shaping me a new board ;D and the old board is going back to Nelson Factory to hopefully get a new life. Storm,do your magic.  I will keep you informed. Only recommendations, ship SUP's by the book and maybe you will be as lucky as me.

Surfdog93

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 05:25:46 AM »
We ship our products domestically and internationally on a daily basis and while we may want to place all the blame on the freight companies, part of the blame may be placed on the way things are packed.
If you are paying $2500 for a custom board, I would ask the sender to crate it.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 08:26:20 AM »
Very good to hear that all went well with the claim.

Dasurfclub

• Malibu Status
  • "Get Out There and Paddle"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
Ouch. I'm sure you were so upset.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
Man, that's just aweful.  I'm afraid unless the board is coming over in a container...it's a coin toss.  I've had 2 or 3 boards damaged by a variety of freight companies.  Fedex paid up right away when I emailed the pictures.  It was so obvious as there was two perfect fork lift punctures in the box.  Both boards just needed minor repairs....but that's just ridiculous what they did to yours. 

I remember one time flying to DOMREP to surf and looking out the window and watched the baggage guys throwing my surfboard trying to get it to rest on top.  Took them 3 tries....ugggg.....I was fuming.  My experience is the freight companies are good about the claims.  The airlines will usually only give you a $$ voucher. 

Be sure to tell them even if you get repair quotes that the repair people will not guarantee it won't break later.  They will usually give you full price and have you sign a liability waiver.  Good Luck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal