Author Topic: Hi from LA  (Read 7267 times)

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi from LA
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »
I just discovered this forum - this is great to exchange ideas, meet, etc.

I am 56 years old, have surfed since I was a kid and been a hardcore windsurfer and wavesailer for about 25 years.  I was inspired to try SUP surfing when watching a few guys catching all these nice, but mushy, waves and getting long rides while I sat and waited...and waited....  I also loved the idea of getting a good workout when there was no decent surf or wind, plus it takes way less time than going windsurfing.  I usually manage to go out a few weekday mornings before work + on weekends.

I have a Big Red (11'10") and a 10' custom board from Ron House.  I love going out on my SUP.  No waves, no problem.  Just a great workout in a beautiful surrounding.  Some days I see large rays, sharks (usually 3-4'), shoals of baitfish and larger fish, and the usual dolphins.  I look forward to participating on the forum.  I also ride a motorcycle, and know from motorcycle forums how helpful it is to connect with others sharing the same interests.  Terry

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from LA
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:42 PM »
Cool- I'm here in SD and can understand your excitement. I've got the SOS Big Red too and I just bought a Big Blue for my wife- everyday I ride that BRed I learn a little more about her- that board does a lot of things really nicely. If you make it down south, drop me a line at my blog www.paddlesurf.net we've got a good crew down here and you'd like surfing the Cliffs.

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  You have a great website - I have seen it previously.  The Cliffs must be ideal for SUP - wide channels, peak after peak, many too far for prone surfers to access.  I went to UCSD as an undergrad, quite a while ago.  I mostly surfed No. County and La Jolla, but had memorable trips to the Cliffs.  I'll stay in touch, come down one of these days.  Terry

betteryeti

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 10:04:28 PM »
Hey there. I just discovered this forum, too. I'm really liking it.

I SUP around Pt. Dume in Malibu. I discovered it a year ago -- tried to do it on my longboard, but no way. I'm 6'7" and 260lbs, and I had to get a custom board to float me. I'm pretty sure I own the largest SUP ever made, but I'd be happy if somebody checked me on that. My SUB is 12'6"x32"x6". I got it at Infinity. It surfs pretty well, though I can tell that in another six months, I'm going to want something a little smaller.

I'm interested in the question of the theoretical minimum board to float a paddler of a specific weight and ability. Right now, I have only very crude metrics (up to 200lbs, 10'x28"; 225lbs, 11"x30"; 250lbs, 12'x 31"; if you can carry the SUB under one arm, it's too small.) But I'm really interested to know if anybody else has thought about this question in terms of displacement, materials, surf style, etc.

This is my first post, so I'm probably going to figure out that there's already a thread on here somewhere. But any input appreciated. And thanks to the founders/moderators for putting this forum online.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:50:54 PM »
I'd heard about SUP surfers at Little Dume and if I ever get up there I will contact you guys.

I weigh about 210lbs and was surprised at the buoyancy of the 10'  C4 board- it was a bit to think about (and I don't know if it would've got me back from the sloughs this morning- n. wind with lots of chop- had to beat right into it all the way back- gnarly!) but it did surf really nicely. I've also paddled my wife's SOS Big Blue 10'10" which easily floats me (and I'm surfing tomorrow at Cliffs).

I'm interested to hear feedback from any others on this topic...

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 05:55:01 AM »
Hi guys,

It would be great if manufacturers would list board volume like these guys do http://www.gongsup.com/.  It is certainly the most valuable parameter in determining how small you can go.  As you know, your weight in Kilos, is the volume in Liters of water that you will displace (smart, those metric guys), so you would need a board volume of that number plus the weight of the board, paddle and your clothing/wetsuit, just to stay above water...but that does not make it usable as a Stand Up board.  

So the question becomes, how much over that volume is workable?

I am 6'2 and 185 to 190 and have slowly moved towards the 9'2 x 4.25 (ish) x 27 (ish) model that I am on now.  It has enough float and feels great in all conditions except strong wind.  My wife, however, had a board that was 9'6 x 26.5 x 4 that fell just under the threshold for me.  It was possible, and surfed well, but was a constant struggle of balance.  

Length is the sexy number to focus on, but effects volume the least.  A small change in thickness makes a huge difference.  Additionally I think that each rider will find a minimum width (for me that seems about 26 3/4 unless the board is really big elsewhere).  Although innacurate, plug in your boards measurements to a simple length x width x thickness formula and then morph the numbers a bit.  

Interesting stuff!

Rand

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:57:01 AM by Rand »

betteryeti

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 12:28:06 PM »
Rand,

Thanks very much for the input. I think you're totally right about volume: it's the least sexy, most relevant SUP metric. It's also the most difficult to measure (dunk tank, anyone?). But I bet you could approximate by taking a dozen or so measurements.

It's interesting; SUP is a little like aviation in that you *really* need to balance/tune the board specs for your weight/style/strength. I mean, I'm really big, but I can grab a pal's 9'6" longboard and fake it as a conventional surfer. Can't fake it as a SUP surfer, though.

Continuing to graze on this question. Will post what I find.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 02:48:06 PM »
It's also the most difficult to measure (dunk tank, anyone?). But I bet you could approximate by taking a dozen or so measurements.

C'mon, you are 6'7.  Who deserves a dunk tank sized tub if not you?  :)

Difficult for sure for one-off boards.  For scanned blanks or software aided designs I imagine the software would be able to produce a good volume calculation. 

I mean, I'm really big, but I can grab a pal's 9'6" longboard and fake it as a conventional surfer. Can't fake it as a SUP surfer, though.

Yes.  Comes a time when you're not paddling (no forward motion) and it just needs to float you.

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:33:10 PM »
On that topic, sailboards manufacturers always list volume.  It's the most basic criteria for board selection.  I weigh about 160 lbs, & my really large light air board is 130 liters.  My smallest high wind board is 80 liters.  I could only guess at the volume of my SUP boards. 

Since the SUP industry is brand new, it will probably get around to including this.  The boards from the windsurfing industry do include this, i.e. Starboard, Mistral. 

I tried the C4 10'0 - agree that it is very floaty for its size.  It's probably the same with their larger boards, too.  betteryet would probably be good on their 11'6 model, as he isn't a learner.  By the way, great session early this a.m. and yesterday on that south swell.  Long, beautiful lines....   :)

betteryeti

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 02:26:43 PM »
Okay, Rand got me to thinking more about the problem of figuring out the optimal SUB dimensions vs. the paddler's weight.

So I totally geeked out. I built a spreadsheet. I used some simple formulae to approximate board volume bases on length, width, thickness, and weight. The formula assumptions seem to hold up pretty well, as long as the SUB is more or less a normal shape (like, I don't know how it'd work on a SUB fish, with the wider/wierder tail). I also included an adjustment factor to bridge the absolute buoyancy (how much volume vs. weight to float you with the board just barely, but fully submersed), vs. functional buoyancy (the minumum volume you need to stand in flat water, with the nose slightly out of the water, tail flush, with an inch or so of deck out of the water). Oh, and keep in mind I'm thinking about surfable SUBs, not racing or pure paddling SUBs.

So then I started plugging in numbers. I started with my Bruce Jones Superfloater which, at 12'x26"x4 7/8"x45lbs, I've never been able to stand up on (remember, I'm 260lbs. Also, Laird saw me struggling with the thing out at Dume one day, paddled by and commented, "not enough board"). So, according to the spreadsheet, that board is only 82% of the functional floatation I need.

Then, I plugged in the nubmers for my Infinity Kukuhoe, at 12'6"x32"x6"x65lbs, which has alway felt like a little bit of overkill in the floatation department. Spreadsheet says it's 121% of functional floatation. Which kinda feels right.

So then I just started plugging in numbers to find the optimal floatation dimensions for my weight. The optimal size, with just 3% excess functional floatation, turned out to be 11'6"x30"x5.5" and a perhaps optimistic 40 lbs.

I'm pretty sure I can tune this spreadsheet up a little bit, but it's probably pretty good as a first cut.

Okay, and I did get out paddling twice this weekend. Didn't sit in front of the computer the whole time...

BY

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 07:57:27 PM »

So then I just started plugging in numbers to find the optimal floatation dimensions for my weight. The optimal size, with just 3% excess functional floatation, turned out to be 11'6"x30"x5.5" and a perhaps optimistic 40 lbs.

Betteryeti, I think you just need to try out some different boards to figure out what works.  You may just need to have a wider tail and nose than what would be typical and keep more thickness in the nose and tail.  I know Boehne likes to keep the tails thick.

I'm 6'4", 220lbs.  Started on a Ron House 12' x 28 x 4 5/8", which I exchanged because the glass job had some problems and moved up to a 12' x 30" x 4 5/8.  It's like standing on a stable platform compared to the 28" width. 

Had some fun ones at Sunset and Malibu yesterday, although it was small.  I need to get up to Dume one of these weekends.  Sunset is right at the bottom of the hill from me though.

betteryeti

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
Hey JD,

So, of course I have to plug your dimensions into the spreadsheet. Your Ron House is almost exactly the minimum functional floatation, according to the calculation (actually, it's .3% shy). Your new board reads as 8.33% excess functional floatation.

If I rode your Ron House, I'd be at only 83% of my functional floatation -- couldn't manage it at all. Though, before I made the spreadsheet, I might have tried to ride it.

I'm kind of glad I made this thing. It's going to make my next purchase better.

Thanks for another data point.

BY

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 02:40:51 AM »
Hi Guys im new to the site and to SUP and I love it. I brought a custom 11ftx26'' and had no luck so I purchased a Jimmy lewis 11ft. I'm 5ft9'' and 85KGs and find the Jimmy stable as a rock,well almost.Had some great little waves already in the last 2 weeks and am now looking for some slightly larger waves like 3ft. Ive got the genuine pad on the board but find I step back to far to turn and sometimes step to far forward to catch a wave or noseride a bit so I'll have to use some wax as well so as to stop slipping off. Only myself my mate and 2 others are SUPing in this area ie Newcastle Australia so we are still a bit of a novelty.Love the site. ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again