Author Topic: water penetration.....  (Read 5828 times)

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
water penetration.....
« on: December 24, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »
I have recently noticed that water is getting into my board through the fin box. I hang my SUB from my garage cieling, and it has been dripping for days from the edges of the fin box. I have determined that it is where the box meets the epoxy, and there are 3 spots that are breached. They are super small openings, and wouldn't be noticed at all if I didn't hang my board, fin down. My question is what can i do to fix this? I tried suncure epoxy resin, and filled around the edge of the box. It started "bubbling" air out of the edges of the box before the stuff could cure. I took the board out this morning for a few hours, and it is dripping again. I really want to get the board watertight, before it causes too much damge. Thanks for any help and suggestions anyone can give me. And just FYI I let the board dry out for 2 weeks before epoxying it. It had stopped dripping water for at least 4 days.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: water penetration.....
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:01:10 AM »
I have recently noticed that water is getting into my board through the fin box. I hang my SUB from my garage cieling, and it has been dripping for days from the edges of the fin box. I have determined that it is where the box meets the epoxy, and there are 3 spots that are breached. They are super small openings, and wouldn't be noticed at all if I didn't hang my board, fin down. My question is what can i do to fix this? I tried suncure epoxy resin, and filled around the edge of the box. It started "bubbling" air out of the edges of the box before the stuff could cure. I took the board out this morning for a few hours, and it is dripping again. I really want to get the board watertight, before it causes too much damge. Thanks for any help and suggestions anyone can give me. And just FYI I let the board dry out for 2 weeks before epoxying it. It had stopped dripping water for at least 4 days.

You have a weak box installation. It needs to be removed and redone from scratch. Otherwise it will wiggle loose again and again. Another possiblity is a cracked box. Some boxes are a multi piece mold. So the bottom can split and crack away from the sides. Windsurfing boxes are one piece. I know Angulo's and Bernhardt's use windsurf boxes for this very reason.

I'd take it to a professional and have the box set in a Divinciell insert next time. This is how strong boxes are done. Old school strong installations used woodies, but Divinicell inserts are better.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »
Russ

I agree w/ D W. You need to have the fin box removed and re-glassed with a new box. I'm sure there is a crack in the base of the box where the fin slides into. That is one of the weakest parts of the box. If you cant see any surface breaches or cracks on the surface of the board, I bet that is where the problem lies. I had one of my fin boxes take on water and it was a crack on the thin wall layer in the slide track that receives the fin pin. 
  In a nut shell, I dremeled the fin box out , cleaned up the area and let it dry out a few days. Then inserted a new box w/ reinforced cloth and epoxy resin. I set the fin box up w/ a very small fin and supported w/ tape and a level to set the box flat and true till the epoxy goes off. Up to an 8 hour set up time. When st and dry, I grinded it flat and then added a thin cloth layer over the top masking off the box's opening trac. Sanded that down and taped off the area for a gloss coat. I tried to match the color but was a shade or two off. But the box is solid, dry and better than before. Yes, I did add a little weight with the repair but is not noticable on the SUP
  I do my own repairs. I use to work in a boat yard glassing boats and  glassing boards for a buddy of mine who shaped boards. Epoxy repair is kind of new to me but has its pro's and cons. Its a trial and error.
  I would have it repaired by a professional. I dont know anyone in the St. Pete area but I know Juan Rodrigez in Sarasota  my help. You may know someone.   I would get it fixed ASAP you may do more internal dmage. 
  Good Luck
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:10:36 AM »
I guess it is off to get repaired then. I was hoping for an easy fix, but it is what it is. I don't know Juan, but have heard of him, he is supposed to be a Guru of shaping (if it's the Juan I am thinking of). But he is a little far for me. I will most likely use Tommy Daniels, he shapes NXTC boards, and I believe Juan taught him shaping. I am picking up my new shortboard form him today, so I'll just bring my SUP to him and see what he thinks. Thanks for the replies, I rreally apreciate it.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:49:06 PM »
Dropped it off at my shapers today. He is going to remove it and replace it with a better box. I should have it back next week. And I know this is the SUP forums, but I have to show off my new board to y'all, it is sooooo sick.......

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
Russ,
 Glad to hear you found a person to repair your SUP. You'll be much happier knowing it's fixed when out on the water. Your short board looks great. Good luck with it.
    I headed over to Jax. Beach  Fl. today and had a great session 3-4 foot with light offshores and super glassy conditions in the morning. Was able to snag a couple of  over head bombers that rolled thru. Its amazing the amount of speed you generate  on the larger sets making turning and carving  much easier.  Super fun session....  ..     

8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »
Yeah, the East Coast has been getting a great run of Surf, and I have not had the time to hit it. I want to hit Sebastian Inlet Sat. but it is looking small for the weekend. But the Inlet can be good when small on an incomming tide, wich it is all morning :D .

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:11:08 AM »
Well, that repair didnt last long. It actualy started leeking after the 2nd run out. I am ready to take a chainsaw to it LOL, J/Kn. I am going to take it back to the shop I bought it from, and let them fixx it. The shaper works directly out of the shop, so it shouldnt be a big deal. I just have to drive across Floida to get it there :D. I have been waiting fro a good swell to hit, so I can make good use of the trip, but not much going on over there till Tuesday, or Wednesday next week. Its messed up because the guy that did the repair is more than qualified to do it. It is just opening up right at the finbox edge, and where the glass meets its. On the bright side, my board sings to me during the day. LOL. It squeels, and humms from the pressure of the water and air being forced otu of it.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:29:12 AM »
Hey just curious what brand of board was that.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 07:36:35 AM »
Island Surfboards out of Cocoa Beach , Florida. Roy is the owner, and is a realy good guy. I am going to get them to fixx it, so at least I hope it gets done right this time.

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »
I had to get one of the side fin boxes replaced after running over a branch in the water. Fortunately I know one of the board repair legends over here and this is what he told me. One of the challenges with the side fins is that there is so much foam in the board and combined with the huge stress put on the fin, it should really be anchored to the deck of the board to keep it from wiggling loose from the glass around it.  When we replaced the box on my board, we cleaned out the foam enough that some of the deck was exposed from the inside. Then, after setting the fin, when we poured in the resin with the milled fibers, as soon as it cured, the box was anchored to the deck for good. Then we smoothed it out and glassed it over. That box isn't going anywhere. If the shaper/repair guy is open to suggestions, maybe mention it to him.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:34:25 AM »
I will definatley suggest this. Thanks for the tip.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 06:29:20 AM »
Found the problem. Fin box was cracked in 2 places. They are replacing the box with a much better one, and going to glass it into the deck, as you suggested Nate. Should have it back this weekend. I miss my babby.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal