Author Topic: SUP in Southern France - Any tips on destinations?  (Read 12243 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP in Southern France - Any tips on destinations?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
You are showing up outside of the main tourist season, but full on for the surf tourist season.  Some lineups will have crowds but lodging should be easy. 

You will need a car when you arrive as a spot you could install at and walk to board rentals and a walk to the breaks will leave you stuck with prone rentals and crowded water. 

If on a budget then doing just that will be fine.  Weather and water are still warm and the predominant off shores will ensure the beauty.

Search for a place to stay near "la Côte Basque" in Biarritz.  Plenty of prone and maybe sup rentals right on the beach.  The village of Bidart should have a similar setup.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:33:49 PM by surfinJ »

IslandRob

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »
Heading to San Sebastian, Spain in late June-early July. Would love to surf SUP but looks like prone surfing is MUCH more popular. Crowds in the summer at main beach looks pretty crazy too. I saw some some delivery options for SUP/surfboards online and reached out to them (http://surfrentalsansebastian.com). They seem like a decent option. 

Anyone have any other resources? Worst-case I just plan to ask around for SUPs at the rentals/schools at Zurriola beach and figure it out when I get there.

-R

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 10:54:56 PM »
Unless just an easy surf in the city is enough, you will need wheels.  Zurriola is an average beach break with many surf schools.  The area is dotted with points and reefs.

Don't miss the evening tapas bars in the old part of the city.

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 03:48:21 AM »
I found this SUP rental spot in Biarritz.

What a great town, you'll love it!
I spent 3 months living two blocks from la Grande Plage, in 1972.
Surfed a lot of great spots without crowds back then.

https://www.location-surf-biarritz.fr/

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 04:34:52 AM »
I checked it out, only inflatable for the SUPs.  And not in walking distance any beaches.  The are lots of surf schools down at the beach that usually have quite a selection of boards.  Probably your best bet.

And from the Grand plage that Rick mentions, Côte Basque a ten minute walk south, or just 5 min north by car to the miles of beaches in Anglet you will find plenty of surf.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 09:01:20 AM »
I checked it out, only inflatable for the SUPs.  And not in walking distance any beaches.  The are lots of surf schools down at the beach that usually have quite a selection of boards.  Probably your best bet.

And from the Grand plage that Rick mentions, Côte Basque a ten minute walk south, or just 5 min north by car to the miles of beaches in Anglet you will find plenty of surf.

Yeah, I looked for quite a bit, contacted Gong, etc. I think we are going to head to Greece (Santorini or Rhodes) and I may get some kiting in, if not, no big deal. We will tour around France some, but not the extended trip down into Spain (next trip).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
If you come through here and there are waves we might be able to meet up for a surf.  I’ll have a board you can use.

Safe travels.
Check this out on Santorini 
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/12/travel/traveling-europe-summer-crowds.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
then there's skiathos, which i enjoyed--tho that was 30 yrs ago!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal