Author Topic: SUP in Southern France - Any tips on destinations?  (Read 12247 times)

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP in Southern France - Any tips on destinations?
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:11:27 AM »
Hi guys,

There will be no surf trip for me this year, since I'll have to go to Europe for business, sometime between April and June.

So I was thinking about taking a three or four days interval in southern France, in some place where I can rent SUBs and surf some waves. The idea is to spend some time and have fun in the water, more than catching the right swell at the right place, right time... So I would rather go to an average but constant spot, with nice cafes and hotels nearby (I'm going with my wife who's also a cheff, so there's gotta be some fun for her too)

If you have any tips or directions, they'll be more than welcome.

Thanks a lot,

RecSuppa

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP in Southern France - Any tips on destinations?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
Your best bet for consistency will be near Biarritz. Just post in the forum at http://standuppaddle.site-forums.com/stand-up-paddle-f1/ (you can post in english), lots of local SUPers (and shop owners) will be able to help you.

I am on the French Riviera: warm and scenic but waves are elusive, you have to hunt them.

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:09:32 AM »
Thanks a lot, Colas!

I've checked the forum, but unfortunately, I don't speak french and can't understand much of it. :-\

I'll post there later (in english) to see if I can get more info about the SUP in Biarritz area.

Thanks again and have a great SUP!

RecSuppa.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
Where are those Gong guys located?

In any event, here's a link to their English-language forum.  Maybe post your question there.

http://www.gongsup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=d180ca7d6adb8302019bca2fb2a08927

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
Hi all,
I am planning a trip to Biarritz end of June. Which beaches would be suitable for SUP surfing? Any tips?

thx

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
Hi,

I only prone surfed when I went.  I really enjoyed Biarritz and there were a couple SUS out at the time. Up the coast was getting hammered with swell and onshore winds, and Biarritz was sunny offshore and beautiful.  The beach breaks looked pretty heavy and challenging on a SUP.

San Sebastian down the coast is Spain is a pretty mellow beach break that seemed SUP friendly.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
Thx Clay,

I will take my SUP board with me and try some beaches I guess. Yes, San Sebastian is nice but we will skip it this time. It is a challenge to find a good priced lodging there.

Colas in the seabreeze forum gave me this information.

"
I would avoid the beaches in the Biarritz city, too crowded.
Basically, you have 4 options, from south to north:
- Hendaye beach, at the spanish border, a sheltered spot in case of wind or big swells, very relaxed and friendly
- Bidart https://surfermap.com/item/guide-surf-spot-bidart-plage-centrale/ not SUP hostile, unlike the famous lafitenia and guethary spots
- Anglet, the beach breaks between "La chambre d'amour" and the Adour estuary
- The beach breaks at Seignosse and up north till Bordeaux, much less crowded, but not surfable if waves bigger than 2.5m or onshore winds (that blow every afternoon), but no rocks, and clean water."

Hi,

I only prone surfed when I went.  I really enjoyed Biarritz and there were a couple SUS out at the time. Up the coast was getting hammered with swell and onshore winds, and Biarritz was sunny offshore and beautiful.  The beach breaks looked pretty heavy and challenging on a SUP.

San Sebastian down the coast is Spain is a pretty mellow beach break that seemed SUP friendly.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 07:02:39 AM »
Reviving this thread, as I'm thinking of taking a similar trip through southern France/Spain in a year or so. SUP surfing - a rental would be great so I don't have to trek across the Atlantic and through Paris with a SUP.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »
Still looking for SUP surf rental/hire info in southern France. Looking to go with the wife for a few weeks late September/early October.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:13:44 AM »
The only sup specific shop that comes to mind has closed.  That said there are many surf shops renting boards so I would google the area you’re interested in and start inquiring. I’m sure someone around here is renting as it is quite a surf tourism zone. Good luck and drop a line when you’re here.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:19 AM »
The only sup specific shop that comes to mind has closed.  That said there are many surf shops renting boards so I would google the area you’re interested in and start inquiring. I’m sure someone around here is renting as it is quite a surf tourism zone. Good luck and drop a line when you’re here.

Thanks - any decent kiting there? I know there is in southern France, but I'd rather ride waves. I'm mainly interested in renting a SUP, I haven't proned in years. I'm not certain as to where we are going yet, I thought we would basically hire a car and drive from Paris down the coast through Biarritz into Spain.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:24:01 AM »
Mostly the corner down here in the Southwest is a low wind region.  Kites are a rare sight and there are no schools reflecting that.  Up towards Bordeaux or the Mediterranean coast are where the kiters have the wind.

For the sup rental I meant from a general surf shop where I’m sure they will have some. Check the towns of hossegor, capbreton or bidart.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 03:59:35 AM »
One last question (well, maybe) - if I have a choice between say late August/early September and mid-October. Which would be better in terms of crowds, waves, etc.

I'm guessing October, less crowded, etc. probably just have to deal with a 3/2 wetsuit hopefully (which I will bring).

Unfortunately, that's the same time we have usually pretty decent waves here, but that's when the wife can go.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:10 AM »
October for sure. The summer is mediocre waves with mega crowds and Sept brings on the offshores, groundswells. By Oct the top surf season is in full swing with the Quik Pro in the beginning of the month. Most days the swell is running about 6’ meaning all the spots will be working. And though it’s still warm a 3/2 will be handy in the chilly mornings.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 09:18:06 AM »
Reviving this thread, flights booked (very cheapily might I add - $430 for upgraded seats on the front row of economy) - October 6 - 18. Probably 4 or 5 days in Paris/northern France, the rest of the time is wide open. Would like to train to Biarritz and then explore from there, maybe go to Spain as well.

Any suggestions/board hire, etc. would be welcomed.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal