Author Topic: Newbie on Subvector  (Read 6773 times)

txkiter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie on Subvector
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
takeo

like you i am a newby with no surf experience but i do have other boardsport experience.

my wife gave me a 9'3' subvector for xmas- my first SUP ! and i weigh 225lbs!

I have spent about 15 hours on it and i am enjoying the learning curve and the challenge.

I am mostly trying out techniques on flat water and where i dont seem to be falling in. i have ventured out in the gulf of mexico 3 times and had my ass handed to me 2 of the 3 times...ah well, back to flat water to get confidence back.

my advice to you is thesame as other guys mentioned : put in your water time, paddle paddle splash and paddle some more!

enjoy the challenge.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »
i rode a 10'6 then went to the sub it was hard on me somedays still is. but i ride it as quad, with a big 3rd fin in it will be easier. but take that out when u get the hang of it quad is the way to go 100%....

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
Diesel,
I just added the 6" cutaway to the stock Vector sidebites.  Would a bigger single fin be more stable versus the 2+1 setup?  I just want to stand in flatwater and will adjust for surfing once I'm at that level.

Funny that many of you mention the tip about looking at the horizon.  I guess a common newbie mistake is to look at where my feet are placed, or to watch the board rock side-to-side.  So many questions going through my head and before you know it, I'm in the drink! 

The bigger the middle fin, the more stability it will have.  I bet you would be surprised how much stability having a big fin in the center of the board will have.  And a 6" center fin, and a cutaway at that, will not provide that much paddling stability.

The sidebites do not affect paddling stability (or do so only marginally).  So a single fin set up versus a 2+1 is not what matters, its the size of the middle fin.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
Bra hit me up i have an 8 and 8"1/2 you could try. Lmk

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful advice.  Haven't gotten back in the water yet, I will soon though. 

PureAdrenaline, thanks for your offer, but I'm in Hilo.  I'll find a bigger fin, even if I have to buy one.  Anyone want to sell me a big fin they don't need? 

The support on this forum has been awesome, makes me even more excited about the sport, so much so that I just sold one of my custom ukuleles to free up some $$, ha!  In the ukulele world, there is UAS, Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome!  From what I'm feeling, I bet there is SUPAS? Am I right? Aloha!!

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:58 AM »
Been a bit busy to get out in the water, but had a chance to get out this weekend.  Since my last outing, I added an 8" center fin and have been on the Indo Board and Balance 360 board daily.  I didn't spend a lot of time on the Subvector as I had friends who were riding it also but at least I'm now able to stand up on the dang board. 

I'm sure one of my biggest challenges is my own pride, falling off the board time and time again is very humbling as paddlers pass me by on their 11'6" 33" wide boards. 

Txkiter, how ya doin on your 9'3"?

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
Got out on some flat water today and happy to report that no more falling.  I think it was a combination of a few things, the 8" center fin, a week on the Indo Board, and mental confidence.  Thanks for all the advice, can't wait to get back on the water!

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
Great to hear things are working for you on the subvector. Did you get the flat round cushion with your indo board? Thats the most realistic way to train for SUP because you have that side to side front to back motion compared to the round cylinder.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
Great to hear things are working for you on the subvector. Did you get the flat round cushion with your indo board? Thats the most realistic way to train for SUP because you have that side to side front to back motion compared to the round cylinder.

I didn't get the cushion..yet, but I also have the Balance360 with the ball, that one is pretty tough.  I got a long way to go before I can actually surf it.  Appreciate all the encouragement, feedback, and advice! Mahalo and Aloha!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal