Author Topic: Bay Area stand up paddling???  (Read 11775 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bay Area stand up paddling???
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
It sounds like you have made a great choice!  Be sure to send pics of her maiden voyage, and let us know how she rips.

Randy

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »
sure will try to...

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
noah,
i am in the bay area and just about to get a sup - i am currently leaning toward the JL 11'. paddled it on maui and liked it. it is the only board i tried, but it seems to have what i want. i live on the peninsula and will be going to the coast - half moon bay - pacifica - likely bolinas also. i will do some local distance stuff as i too am very close to the bay. ;D
pat

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 06:02:37 PM »
hey pat,
good to find someone else getting into SUPing...mind you, I haven't even tried it yet here I am awaiting for the arrival of my first SUP board, naturally am psyched about it but I'd have to go through the trials of being a beginner...since you have tried it, perhaps you could offer me some pointers, eh?
likewise, in the beginning, will try to do distance paddling around the bay, live in richmond where I'm right next to the water where all the windsurfers and kiteboarders are so it'll be funny to be SUPing among them :)....and bolinas as well, as I become comfortable, wherever else then...
so, let's see about a hook up in the future for a run or such...
until then
noah

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 06:47:58 PM »
noah - one of the tips i got was don't try to learn in wind. so you don't have to embarrass yourself in front of the kite and wind surfers. ;D
i ordered my board today and it will take about 2 weeks to get here. when do you get yours? be fun to hook up. i think bolinas is a great starting spot for waves. i'm like you flat water right behind the house.
Pat

[pointers, eh?
likewise, in the beginning, will try to do distance paddling around the bay, live in richmond where I'm right next to the water where all the windsurfers and kiteboarders are so it'll be funny to be SUPing among them :)....and bolinas as well, as I become comfortable, wherever else then...
so, let's see about a hook up in the future for a run or such...
until then
noah
[/quote]

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 12:32:54 AM »
My advice: Hide your wallet because you're going to want to start building a quiver of boards! Also, my good friend has one of those Infinity Nose Rider models and the stability of the board was really good (he was a beginner)- he learned really quickly on it and now has no problem paddling in mildly windy and choppy conditions. I've also interviewed many shapers and they always have good things to say about Steve over at Infinity- I think you made a great choice! Good luck and give us updates.

John Ashley
www.paddlesurf.net

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 11:51:54 AM »
hey pat...

I hear you (even though I'm deaf :), thanks for the tip regarding beginning out in the water where the kiteboarders and the windsurfers are, I'll make sure to find a flat water surface area to kook myself away:)...
Actually, my board just came in last night, am thrilled, didn't realize what a boat it is!

Thanks John, for the reassurance that I did the right thing in putting a serious dent in my wallet and I didn't know this forum was also a horrorshow for my wallet, I believe you, I'm worried that I'll quiver away my mortage on the house (just kidding,no, I won't! but....)grinning.  Defintely will drop in some words (photos?) regarding my experience with the board.  Steve was nice and patient with me the whole time and with my emails of questions, so, I'm glad of the choice and to hear you say these postive words about him makes me feel encouraged.
John, I've checked your blogs and enjoy them very much, they helped me in the whole process by the way, thank you.

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »
guys...

I stand humbled and stoked big time...went out in the water yesterday for the first time with the new toy, went to this area called albany bulb where there's no one there in the water, admittedly, it was a bit choppy, didn't want to drive around looking for a totally flat water surface area, so, just "dove" into it, and did I ever dive into the water a million of times,kookingly!
But FUN!!!!
It is such a trip to be in the bay water facing the skyline of SF in the near horizon and the GG bridge, more breathtaking and beautiful when in the water than viewing from the land.  It's opened(opening) a new world for me, having moved down here from Santa Cruz, away from the waves which was  hard on me, feeling that occassional sense of despair of being far away from the waves to surf, days of being unmotivated by the drive to the surf (of course, more times, plunging ahead and driving out...) but now, here, five minutes away from where I live is the water of the bay area where I can just go and frolic around on my SUP board. 

You guys are right, this SUP thing is going to grow tremendously, I forsee a day when SUPers will be seen making a run across the bay perhaps to Angel Island and back (to wherever around here) or such.

As you can imagine, I am going to be posing here my beginner's questions after having been on my SUP board but in the meantime, I am just going to go out and focus on getting up, paddling straight, balancing, embracing the joys of SUP grommethood and so on before I begin to ask the questions that's been asked already here and these that hasn't been asked yet.  Sometimes, I just say "forget the technical stuff" and just feel it out!  When I (or one) gets to thinking all about these technical stuff, mistakes happen from overthinking and it takes the joy out of it.  And one needs to do it several times to be able to ask and understand how to ask these technical questions, I think, at least.

But one question here, am now sore all over my body which is to be expected and okay with me, but, my hand feels sore and I could see the possibility of a blister forming after I get out in the water again today, is that normal?  does it mean the paddle is too long for me?  or I'm holding it/paddling it wrong?

36 years old going on a kid...
aloha
noah

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »
congrats noah,
i know it will be over a week before i get my board. went out a few times while on maui, but i am sure you will pass me before i even get my board - so i'll be looking for tips.
i can only guess on the hand thing, but a blister seems likely. not a probl;em for me, but that may be because of my kayak paddling. you might consider a sailing glove until as you toughen-up so the blister doesn't keep you landlocked.
pat

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »
hola pat...

you and your kayaking experience to go along with my general clumsy ways, don't worry, I'll still be the one asking you for tips, grins.

where does one find that sailing glove you suggest? 

you know, I used to cycle, and there's that saddle soreness we all say we gotta live with when we cycle, maybe soreness in my hand is something that I have to live with when it comes to SUPing, just wondering? not a big deal right now...

bet you're anxious with the waiting game for your new toy, pat...

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 01:54:43 PM »
A boating/sailing shop or maybe windsurfing shop. For that matter a cycling glove would likely be as good and maybe for fewer bucks.

I am thinking paddling day and night. I check the shipping tracking a million times per day - that speeds it up doesn't it??? I figure it is in Oklahoma by now!
 :D
Pat

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 02:30:20 PM »
hi noah, pat is right on the money when it comes to using gloves for relief from sore hands. no doubt that the added burden of being in water only exacerbates the whole situation. i've found nitrile coated / nylon mesh gloves (nylon throughout nitrile coated fingers and palm only) to be a perfect fit for our activity. they are light, comfortable, shed water easily and provide maximum grip with a low profile contact patch. i've seen them at home depot in their gardening department as well and commonly available at most hardware stores too. if you are as lucky as i am to have an open street market in your area you may be able to find them for $2 to $3 dollars a pair. they come in a broad range of sizes too.

hope this helps!
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
hey!

been away for a while, returning to reality, work! summer break being over, not quite an endless summer life I have, gotta figure how to have that :)!

trying to catch up here, ways to go...

but wanted to briefly report that I've been SUPing often as possible after work, starting to feel more and more comfortable, having fun...gotta say that SUPers has my respect totally, it is not easy...

one day, I'm going to try my best to post a picture or a few of the SUP's point of views of SF, the GG bridge, Mt. Tam and the Pacific Ocean in its supreme glory beyond...

shapeshifter, thanks for the glove advice!  however, lately, it has not been a problem for me, getting used to it?, paddling better/correctly? or not doing it hard enough? :)

pat, get your new boy toy yet?

be back soon, am on the sly here at work, gotta get back to reality...

aloha
noah

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »
Got the new stick yesterday - installed the deck pad last night and trimmed the paddle this morning. Three days (sounds like years) for the pad sticky to cure???? I don't think I can do it - Well one day at a time, I won't paddle today.
Soon!
Pat

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal