Author Topic: What do you use? Rail Tape, Paddle Protector, Nothing, or Something Else?  (Read 23157 times)

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just curious what you guys use to protect the rails of your SUP?  Do you run the Rail Runner Tape, Paddle Edge Protector, Nothing, or Something Else?  All I've ever done was put some electrical tape around mine.  Probably doesn't do too much but I haven't decided what is the best solution.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use? Rail Tape, Paddle Protector, Nothing, or Something Else?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
I don't use anything- took time but I got to the point where I didn't smack the rail anymore... I've seen a board with self adhesive window flashing along the rails for protection- guy told me it took a little patience to put it on cleanly but the result was super nice and it looked like it'd protect the rails well.

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:52 AM »
I put clear duct tape on the rails on my first board.  Seemed to help ease the learning curve.  Kept for a couple months, but now I don't use anything.  No problems since.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:11:32 AM »
3m auto clearbra on the rails.  I see in Wardog's blog that Starboard has copied me.  I am still waiting for my royalties. ::)

Car door edging on my paddle although I am thinking of trying xcel polyurethane tape

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »
Mastic works well on the paddle. Stretch it around the blade and then wrap the shaft a foot. 

I don't beat on my rails anymore.  Once I pulled the paddle forward as I was laying on the deck preparing to jump up and the paddle blade connected with the fin and split the blade. I had to force it off and then glue the split.  The mastic will keep this from happening again.

You will find mastic at a box store for around $8.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »
Nothing on the rails.  For the paddle though we had this " Great Idea "  when we started three years ago-  clear self-adhesive car door edge protector.  Got it at Pep Boys.  Works great. Now I see that Surfco ( the Nose Guard guys )  are selling the same stuff.  I don't seem to bang my rails with the paddle much these days but it's nice to have and protects the paddle blade.  YMMV...

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »
3M mastic tape on the paddle.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »
All good info.  I'm gonna look into some of the ideas you just mentioned.  If I understand right, as long as I don't sell any of these ideas, I won't owe any royalties. ;D

I'm using my c4 10-6 sup as a loaner to friends and they seem to bang on the rails a lot more.  It's a board that's still in good condition and I hope to keep it somewhat that way as long as I can.  The board seems pretty tough though..

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
If you are talking paddling outside of the lineup for distance I think the best stroke is going to involve touching the rail with the SHAFT of the paddle.  The blade should obviously be buried and below the rail entirely.  You want to be as close to the keel line of the board as possible and unless you are surgical with your paddle, pulling while skimming the shaft on the rail is the way to go...over time you wear on the side of the board.  Tape the paddle shaft ala PonoBill.  Discussing this at the battle of the paddle I got the nod from the high Caesar so I dont question it...if you are doing a hundred strokes one inch farther from the keel line IMO you have lost a chunk of forward motion to zig zag motion

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
colored tape on paddle works well and cheap.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »
 I take mastic and measure off a piece large enough to go all the way around the perimeter of the blade and back up the shaft just a hair past the blade. I then cut this piece of mastic length-wise in half. As I start the application of the tape above the blade, I stretch it as I'm applying it along the edge to make it even narrower. I then use a hi-quality vinyl tape a few windings around the ends of the mastic just above the blade... This leaves a very clean and thin application around the blade than the normal width of the mastic - which is too wide (IMO)... The downside is the black hack marks but these wipe off easily with a little sand or a paper towel...  Later,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

srfr96701

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:02:46 AM »
I use 3M part #2228 Moisture Electrical Tape , its the same as the mastic tape but 1" wide instead of 2" wide .

Aloha ,
Cal

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:36:37 AM »
Car door edge plastic on the padddles, Clear Surfco rail tape.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
I sue clear paddle edge guard from the Infinity shop.  I'm not sure if it's really car door edging, but I don't care.  His price is good, and it's nice and flexy, stays stuck on and protects my paddle, and protects me from my paddle.  I don't have any painted boards, so paint chips have never been an issue for me (although dings to the varnish of my redwood Waveyarder were a concern at one time).

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:52:18 AM »
A friend of mine turned me on to the door molding stuff.  We use epoxy at the ends and inside curves to prevent it from peeling up... and I added shrink wrap to keep it on where it ends.  "PROTECTS  BEUATIFIES" ... lol

I destroyed the rails on my C4 before going this route.  It works great for regular paddle scraping, but big hits from losing balance and such it still leaves a ding sometimes, it's just more spread out and has less penetration into the board skin.  Great stuff.  If you could find something just a little softer it might help with the bigger hits more.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard