Author Topic: SUP ATX  (Read 79361 times)

dannyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP ATX
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
Also, in case anyone is wondering, I'm not affiliated with the company and I have my own gripes about them that I would prefer not to air on the forum.  If you have any questions, shoot me a pm.  I know that doesn't mean much, but I'm really not just a dude that only has 6 posts and is trying to write an overconfident review for a company...I think I was pretty objective, at least.

Thanks again.  I've learned tons from this place.

jrmcswain

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
Thanks Dannyo, that review was very helpful and makes me feel a lot better about SUP ATX's product. I'm still waiting patiently for my board (1 month and 4 days now) and will also post my experiences with the board once I recieve it.

-- Richard

dannyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
Good luck, Richard.  I think everyone else gives very sound advice when talking about quality versus price.  It all boils down to how the board is going to be used.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

jrmcswain

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
Well, I got my SUP ATX board yesterday. Im new to SUP boarding so this might seem like a dumb question to most of you but will it damage my 12' board to haul it like this in my pickup on the highway? The only reason I worry about it is because my truck is a short bed (six foot) which leaves 5 to 6 foot of board over hanging the tailgate.

-- Richard

jrmcswain

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 02:27:26 AM »
My wife and I took the ATX board out for the first time today and really enjoyed it. I will definitely be looking to buy a second SUP board sometime in the fall of this year. I have no experience with other board brands so, I wont attempt any comparisons at this time. However, this board is much tougher than I had originally thought it would be. I was worried about transporting it in my truck with 6 feet hanging over the tailgate. After our outing today though, I think I could easily hang 8 feet of this 12 foot board over the tailgate and not have to worry about it.
I purchased a Paddle Guard from C4 Waterman and it fit the ATX paddle like a glove. I had heard that these boards ding easily but, after returning home and inspecting the board carefully I couldn't see a single scratch or ding on it (probably due to the installation of the paddle guard).
I have not decided for sure yet but, I may try a different SUP brand for my second purchase just to see how they compare. Would I buy another ATX board? At this point the answer is yes but, I have not had this board very long so I'll have to see how well it fairs over time.

Neither of us has ever done anything like this before. I found it to be harder than it looked and fell into the water several times before starting to get the hang of it. My wife got on the board and paddled away never falling once while we were at the lake today.... UGH!

P.S..  We also purchased a couple of  How-To Stand Up Paddle Surfing DVDs from C4 Waterman and they were awesome. I would recommend them to anyone that like us are new to this sport.

--Richard
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:37:29 AM by jrmcswain »

SpinWheelz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 06:34:15 AM »
SUP ATX really are the cheapest way into this sport, aren't they.  Just shy of $800 and you get the whole package: fully-outfitted board AND a carbon paddle.  I've not seen another comparable package like that anywhere else.

cmaz44

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am here because I just recieved my SUP ATX last friday and it exceeded my expectations. I am an avid cyclist/mountain biker and always purchase equipment of high quality because I understand what it takes to have an enjoyable experience from the start. I was apprehensive about a total package costing $800 but could not find a reason why there boards were any different than a bigger name brand beginning board would be. I ordered in May and received on July 30th. It was aweful waiting all summer so I became bitter and bought a kayak which is a lot of fun.

Now for my first ride on the 12ft 31" wide behemoth of a board. It was simply awesome. I immediately took off. I have the luxury of living on the water so I cruised around the lagoons with ease....much faster than a kayak. My neighbors were inspired asking me what is that? I live in NJ so its still not that popular. My second time out I had people asking me to try it and two other people are planning on purchasing from SUP ATX. There is nothing better than having an enjoyable experience right from the start. SUP ATX provided that and then some. I am going to use this board as much as I can until I feel there is a need for something better. I would also like to mention that I was avoiding a boat in a lagoon and the wind crash me sideways into a triple jet ski ezdock and there was no damage to my board and I stayed upright the entire time. Very stable craft!!!!!

I say all beginners should use this board and use the extra money for buying beer.

Carl

surftrip

• Waikiki Status
  • surf, skate, run, paddle, swim ...do something
    • View Profile
    • Running like a phreak
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 03:52:32 AM »
Greetings.

I ordered a SUP ATX as well. It's been one week, and "Peter" has told me that the board should ship this week. I'm very excited as I have been a surfer my whole life, but been land-locked for about 10 years making weekend trips my only option.

SUP should get me back in the water more often, and with regards to the surf, it seems that SUPers can catch many more waves than even longboards, so I don't have to be AS concerned with swell timing and chasing storms.

Like others, I will post a thorough review of my experience with the company, the board itself, and anything else that may be useful for other newbies as they become exposed to this forum.

Looking forward to getting my board and sharing the stoke.

Cheers!

--
Christian Griffith

surftrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Running like a phreak
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »
I ordered a SUP ATX as well. It's been one week, and "Peter" has told me that the board should ship this week.

Welp, this is the week the board was to ship. No ship.

They alerted me during the order that my card would be charged a couple of days before shipping and the charge has not even been applied. This makes two weeks. I'm starting to get a little frustrated as the warm weather slips away from me.

I know, I know, "wetsuit", and I'm down, but I'd still like to play in baggies for awhile.

Very eager to get my SUP life going.

Come SUP ATX - hook a brutha' up.
--
Christian Griffith

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 05:19:28 AM »
They must not like those ultra runner guys...

surftrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Running like a phreak
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 05:56:36 AM »
They must not like those ultra runner guys...

indeed...
--
Christian Griffith

surftrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Running like a phreak
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »
Ok, now I'm getting nervous.

It's been over two weeks now, so I broke down and called SUP ATX today.

Now. I'm really bummed.

It's a call service. They ask you silly questions like, "how did you hear about SUP ATX?" - which is irrelevant now that I've already ordered and am simply inquiring about where the board is...

Dropped another email to "Peter Bailey" but since he's not on the web site's staff list, most likely he's just a contract communicator as well.

Can't blame the gazillionaire owner, I guess - he's just running it like a business - blame me for low-balling my entry to the sport.

{sigh}

so I wait...
--
Christian Griffith

jrmcswain

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 03:05:09 AM »
Ok, now I'm getting nervous.

It's been over two weeks now, so I broke down and called SUP ATX today.

The only problem I had with SUP ATX is the wait time (a month and a half in my case). The product is good though so, I dont think you will be dissapointed with the quality. The SUP ATX website has a link to their Facebook page which was a big help to me so, you might try there. I do believe that they are working on a solution for the long wait times though.

-- Richard --

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 05:58:02 AM »
Weather the boards are any good or not is irrelevant if you have to wait over a month to get a board.

Is there no shop even remotely close to you that you can go and support / buy a board from?
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 09:45:33 AM »
I ordered a paddle from these guys as a spare to keep at my parent's place across the country.  It was a price point decision, and I think I got a good value for what I was looking for.  It's a bit heavy as carbon fiber paddles go, but it's nicely made, plenty sturdy, and despite a wider blade than I prefer, it paddles quite well.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it came with a nice CF palm grip, better than I was expecting.

As far as the transaction went, I had a similar experience to others when I called SUP ATX for some information before purchase.  The call center rep did give my number to one of the "tech guys" and I did eventually get a call that cleared things up.  At the time, the web site showed an adjustable paddle, but that was not available yet, and not at the same price ($145) as the fixed length model.   Shipping was included in the price, and it got there in about 3 weeks.  For an outfit that is selling as many boards as they are, they need to improve their website, and find a way to get customers accurate information without waiting a few days for a phone call from the "tech guys".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal