Author Topic: 12 glide - RRD cruiser  (Read 5705 times)

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
12 glide - RRD cruiser
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
Seeking some opinions here.........

my specs: 5'10" 185#±, windsurfing shortboard skills & balance, SUP'd once & gotta get one!

plans: flat to choppy water lollygagging to full on exercise, w/ some light wind sailing to boot..........possibly even get my wife out on the water and into it with this board!

budget: tight

I've done a ton of reading and pretty much narrowed it down to these two available boards, Glide AST and an RRD Cruiser LTD, with my thinking being the narrow nose boards aren't going to fight me when running into the wind, [just seems like the big rounded nose is going to slap, bounce and act like a sail in the wrong direction!], they both should glide well, and be fast enough to be fun, cruise around and sightsee on, and even kind of sail OK. [Also I found a couple fo them used for $1000±], and can have a mast track pro-installed on the Glide for $90] Also the Cruiser with all the black, a bit worried about heat being an issue......?

Outside options would maybe a deal on a Naish Nalu 11'4", Starboard Blend, or a Amundson TR 12'6" but I'm thinking these other two are better choices.......

Opinions please:
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12 glide - RRD cruiser
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:28 AM »
I cannot comment on the RRD but own a 12 Glide. It is a very good everything board. I actually use it more than any of my other boards. Surfs(kind of), downwinds(kind of) and paddles the flats well(kind of). It sounds like I am disrespecting the board but it is truly a jack of all trades, master of none. I have heard that it sails very well. I do think it makes a great "one" board.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
IMHO your two choices for all purpose cruisers that sail and move along well should be the 12' Naish Glide or the 12'6" Starboard Cruiser. I have owned them both and they are both great boards. I sold the Glide and have always kept a Cruiser in my quiver because it surfs better for me than than the Glide, is more stable when goofing off, and has the same overall paddle speed when pushing it harder. The Glide has a higher top speed in a sprint but doesn't maintain it. The Cruiser is easier for me to sail closer to the wind but handles like an SUV where the Glide handles more like a sports car under sail. Hope that helps.

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12 glide - RRD cruiser - 14 Tahoe?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
OK, now possibly stretching my budget to the full extent I've got a shot at a 14' Tahoe Zeypher for $1300......new! The others could be gone by now, not sure. I really seem to be deliberating hard over this.

The Tahoes sound pretty specific for flat water but good into the wind and chop, decent for all other aspects, waves excluded, which fits my intentions, and spec at just over 30#. Decent for a 14 footer. Seems my first board should be the biggest one I intend to own and go down from there. Plus they are gorgeous. [Lusting for a wood veneered board all along but didn't think I'd find one I could justify the $ for.] I've read they're possibly fragile, which doesn't really concern me. So are all my windsurf boards and they after tyears look like new........I can deal with that part.

.......would love some honest feedback about the Tahoe use and impressions to influence me enough to choose and just buy one so I can go play instead of read and shop!
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

onostuff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
Hey Whitecap
I'd say go for it! They are really nicely built boards and have good glide. I've been demoing boards the last couple month, and have had a chance to try the 12 foot glide and 12'6 tahoe. The Tahoe with the displacement hull  cut through the  nicely, as did the Glide; but I felt the Tahoe had more "glide", which makes since. The tahoe felt slightly more tippy when first standing up, but once you started moving, no problem! I believe they also have built in hold downs, nice for touring, etc.. As Mentioned, the Tahoe does seem more fragile construction. Saw one with a puncture in it and it seemed pretty thin. I am about you same size and weight, and think if you are going to be using it mainly for working out and touring, the Tahoe at that price would be great. Nothing wrong with the Glides though; I'm currently waiting to see what the 2012's 12'6" is going to be like on the water.

oNo stuff

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »
$1300 for a 14' Tahoe does indeed sound like a good deal.  Be aware that the construction changed in the 2011 models making them quite a bit lighter than earlier models (though I am not even sure that Tahoe made a 14' board before 2011).  Anyway, the earlier Tahoes were on the heavy side.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »
hey whitecap - so i basically had the same specs and plans with a tad more $ to play with...and I chose the Starboard SUPer 12'6.  It does it all...SUP with good glide, distance paddles, stable to fish off, easy to surf, and can be sailed.  Good stuff. Do a search on it and you will see many guys on here call it their "go to" board.  I've seen it being sold online for $1,300 at a marine store (cant remember name but not west marine and Im not sure if shipping was included).  Anyway, check em out and try to find a used one on Craigslist or something. THis board also comes with a daggerboard for going upwind  peace.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:42:29 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
saw it on sailsportmarine website 1350 plus shipping (100 to biz 180 to home) good deal imho check it out
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:45:56 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard