Author Topic: Great White Sleigh Ride  (Read 11653 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Great White Sleigh Ride
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:55:33 AM »
JRiggs sent this over for posting.  Not sure if this is fact or fiction, but hooking that gal with something meant for striped bass?

Sent: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:12:43 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Cape Lookout Shark        
Cape Lookout is but a hop skip and jump from Morehead City.  So much for swimming at the Cape.
Morehead City, NC  while the vessel 'Dawn Raider' out of Anchorage Marina in Atlantic Beach, NC was fishing for Striped
Bass (also locally known as Stripers), this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15
minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew  members to slip a rope around its tail !!! 'And that's when  things heated up!! .  
The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking
on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at
times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS.
It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food.  Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal
for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

Anchorage Marina

Atlantic Beach, NC

NOTE:  THE TAIL FIN IS THE SIZE OF A MAN!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:58:54 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Great White Sleigh Ride
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05:21 AM »
Damn that thing looks scary and huge.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »
Cough...BS...Cough... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
awww what a cute little fella!
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:39 AM »
I'm going for a bike ride.

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
I've seen those photos before, long ago. And that's not a Great White, it's clearly a Mako, and a damned big one. I couldn't kill a splendid predator like that unless I had to.

So yeah, I'd say Bullshit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »
Sounds a little fishy.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
still an impressive beast...even if it was a Canadien
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
I saw a Tiger outside the lineup at Kanaha today that would probably be somewhere in the ballpark of that size.  I think he was lurking around a momma humpback and her baby. I'd say it was after placenta but the baby was pretty good size--don't think it was new. I saw it's dorsal twice, once with the tail showing about eight feet back and once with the second dorsal showing about six feet back. Probably 15-16 feet long. Could be the guy that hangs at the harbor breakwall often, but it looked bigger.

I've decided not to tell people anymore when I see these guys. I don't think it matters, they're there all the time whether someone sees one or not. No point in bumming folks out.

Kenaha was wonderful today, and I was amazed at how much life I saw, even without my sunglasses. The whales (mom & kid plus a big guy doing breaches outside), the tiger, three leopard rays hanging out with two turtles (never seen that before, wonder what that was all about) a school of surgeonfish, a school of those yellow-tailed mullet looking fish that I can never remember the name of, and a big parrotfish.

Wonderful day. The surfing has been so fantastic all winter, I'm just blown away.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
From the photo title looks like it was taken off Block Island
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 07:49:19 AM »
Axe, no....i put that title on it to scare a friend, as it looks loke the ferry dock at point judith....but it's not.....should have deleted that label sorry....i've had that picture in inventory for some time.

It was the same fish as DW said....from Nova Scotia

That doesn't make Block Island safe though.....

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:11 AM »
maybe it's better to be confused about the location anyway?
I believe that a shark should go anywhere it wants.

The first tag of the great whites tagged in September off cape cod just showed up in Jacksonville Florida last week
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
LOL...nice trick on a friend.

A CCBC friend, Jody, had a 16' GW swim right under his board off whitecrest. I tried not to think about it the following weekend with murky water from the pumping surf and 100's of seals in the water.
Bob

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
I dont think Makos get that big..
It is Illegal to Kill great whites here in the states...Just a bull shot story..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal