Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 7025 times)

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
  • Goodbye, Sunshine. Daddy misses you.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - katzkillz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
Hi. I'm new to the forums.  Been interested in SUP for a while now.  Been surfing longboards for about a year.

I was trying to get some information about SUP and found this site, so, I figured I would ask here.

I'm about 6' and about 250 (though, I'm in the process of losing weight, about 30 pounds in the last few months) and will probably get as low as about 220, but not much lower.

I'm curious as to what dimensions I should be looking for in an SUP for a beginner.  Thanks.

Jes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »
I'm an expert on beginner big guys... ;D. I have a few inches and lbs on you.
If your balance is good you could go as short as 10-6 but I wouldn't go any narrower than 30" I started on a Starboard 12-6 x 30 Cruiser, great beginners board and I still use it fairly frequently. It or something like it will make learning much more enjoyable. Take a look at the ke nalu board showcase. You'll get an idea of the size of boards that similar folks liked. its a bit out of date as far as board selection goes but a good 1st look at sizes.

http://www.kenalu.com/forums/showcase-index/

It hurts to read your tagline. Sorry for your loss. Can't imagine the pain.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
you know what? welcome to the forum! i envy people like you looking for an outlet to escape anything that bothers you. Dont answer specifics, but ask your new questions that will help you move forward in a sport that is moving as fast as your emotions! Welcome...Welcome.... Welcome!!! ask me, i will help you in anyway possible!!

cape supper

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - colorcharm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
Yeah, keep it wide to start with. Width = Stability.
A stable board will keep you on the water for longer without getting too tired.

Nothing less than 30 inches should work well for you.

Welcome :-)

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys!  I'll look around and see what I can find locally, in the way of boards.  But you've given me a good starting point.  I appreciate it.

BD

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »
BD-

I'm about the same weight as you and started on a 12'32" starboard big easy.  Made starting easy but I wanted something smaller for the surf after about four months.  Second board was a Paddle Surf Hawaii 10'6" WAA that's 30" wide.  I still use my 12' Starboard occasionally in flat water, but I spend most of my time in the surf.  The PSH is pretty stable for me know, but would have been tough to start on.  I've had a lot of fun on both boards.   

You may want to get somewhere in the middle of what I have to start.  Something 11'x30" will ease your learning curve, but also keep you happy past the first few months.  Starboard makes an 11'2"x30" board and PSH has a 11'x30" WAA.  I haven't ridden either, but I've heard good things about both.     

Have a good time with it. 

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
I love my starboard 11'2 x 30". It's the Ultimate Blend model, now just the Blend, I believe. I'm 5'10, 200lbs, and it fits me really well. Depending on your athleticism and coordination, it might be a good board for you once you've gotten the hang of standing and paddling. But for now, go as wide as possible and if you are looking to surf more than just distance paddle, stay under 12'6.
Some more advise:
Little did I know 2 years ago that I was going to progress as much as I have AND have boards that have progressed as much as they have. So now, I've gotta figure how I can buy my next SUP! Do I want to go with a shorter surf-specific (C4 Sub 9'3) or go with the other end of the SUP spectrum with a 14' distance/race board? It's exciting, overwhelming, addicting and awesome all the same.
So, when you really get bit by the SUP BUG, be prepared to obsess (if yur like me), ogle, daydream, research, demo everything SUP!
I love SUP. All day I dream about SUP. I surfed for 3 hours on my 11'2 yesterday in 40 degree water, 35 degree air temp, trying to get the helicopter move down. Talk about post nasal drip when I was done! WWhew, I'm rambling...JUST SO STOKED ON..........SUP :D

jimbro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »
hey man, like most of the other responses i am about your size but just taller.  I had surfed for years and tried SUP to just get in the water on small days.  I do not have any recommendations for you other than you should look at where you could be in a few months as far as ability.  I went out and bought a dog of a board and spent too much money only to find out the learning curve is steep with SUP's.  Now i am not saying go and buy a 24 or 25 inch wide board, but maybe 28.5 or so.  If you learn fast and buy a big tongue depressor then you are going to be bored in no time.  hope this helps!!!  I do ride a 11'6 C4 stand um, tandem board from time to time and they are stable and good in the surf, if you can handle a big board.   i have been trying to progress to a 10'6 but am just a little heavy with all the rubber on.  I would look at C4 though if you wanna surf a big SUP.  They actually turn rather well!

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
IMHO, you need the longest widest board you can get your hands on.
I don't think there are any 28.5" boards that are long and thick enough to have enough volume at that width to float a 250#er.
I'm 220# and I got a 28.5" X 10" X 4.5" for my wife, when I stand on it, the board is nearly all underwater.
A big floaty board like the Southcounty boards are always fun to have around for your kids, friends, visitors even after you perhaps progress to something else.
And you can always sell a big board like that easily, where I live all the used boards are smaller.
It would be very frustrating to try and learn to balance on a little board.

critterfur

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:42:21 AM »
 Try renting a few before you buy one. I'm 5'10 225lbs. I ride a 9'3 30 wide. but I started on a 11'6 then worked my way down. Enjoy.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
Welcome to SUP.  It is a great sport.  I have been loosing weight on mine.  I have had many a board trying to find one that floats my big### and that surfs as good as my Yater Spoon.  IMHO there is the perfect board for you and it is the SouthCounty Turtle it is 10 foot long.  Save yourself the hassle of buying and selling 12 foot boards looking for one that is stable and can float us big guys.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »
Starboard Whopper. Plain and simple.
Yesterday we put my 215 pound friend on one. Good surfer, but it was his first time on a SUP. Paddled it no problem. Caught his first wave (waist high) 5 minutes later. Paddled out through the soup standing after that.
I can't tell you how much time people waste trying to learn on a giant 12 foot long skinny board.
Once you go wide, you'll never go back.

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 04:04:32 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  Cocoa Beach Surf Co. has one I can rent, and, weather permitting, I'm going to try that this weekend.  Should be interesting, to say the least.
I'm hoping RonJon's has one as well. 

If I get out, I'll make a post about whether or not I'm a  new addict.

Thanks again!

BD

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »
I'm 6'2" 250lbs, hopefully on the way down!  I picked up a used C4 11'6" and it floats me pretty good with I believe 29" width.  It does take some getting use to the balancing and I'm still not ready for surf (just got out this week), but I think the dimensions will provide a fun board for my size in surf and flat water.  If I didn't find this board used, I would have purchased a Starboard Cruiser.

Have fun on whatever you decide.

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:58:47 AM »
There is a Laird on Craigslist in Tampa for $400 bucks you may want to check that out!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal