Author Topic: Halcyon Days  (Read 2890 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Halcyon Days
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
TM sent this over this morning,

"Today (Saturday) is the first of the Halcyon days, the fourteen days surrounding the winter solstice. The halcyon is a type of kingfisher that builds its nest on the surface of the ocean. According to Greek mythology, the bird charms the winds and waves so that seas remain unusually calm during its nesting season, a week before and after the solstice".

It has been since last Sunday since we had anything resembling calm winds, but the waves do seem to have been "charmed" into submission.  Someone needs to give this bird a talking to.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:00:08 AM by Rand »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Halcyon Days
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:28:01 AM »
I think the bird is dead here. Heavy winds, choppy big waves and we have slush falling from the sky in big clumps at the moment.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=607.0 See tree stands comment/forecast later in the post. Pretty accurate so far. Except we got more snow than we were supposed to.....16" of wet heavy stuff on the ground..... >:(
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:32:03 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »
I love sup surfing, but I also love surfing, windsurfing, longboard sailing. And I'm even thinking about giving kitesurfing a second try now that the new kites seems to be really much better than a few years ago.

Agree: the conditions suck to be winter time (no clean swells and lots of wind), but I'm having a blast windsurfing on head to logo high windswell waves at Hookipa.

Don't get stuck with only one discipline, you guys...

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »
Agree: the conditions suck to be winter time (no clean swells and lots of wind), but I'm having a blast windsurfing on head to logo high windswell waves at Hookipa.  Don't get stuck with only one discipline, you guys...

I have only one discipline this week: work.  Tis the season for those of of us who sell shhtuff.  For that reason alone, i am doing my best to convince myself that no one is out there having any fun, so please, shhhhhhh.

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 01:16:15 PM »
People ask me all the time if I will ever surf again ?!! and I quickly explain to them ,when I am stand up paddling...I am most certainly surfing in every sense of the word. In fact..I'm surfing more like when I did at 20 something. I do everything on my 11'x28" Footemaui,  that I would do on my former 9'2" "Frierson" long board".(actually more). When I get to Maui in mid January, I can't wait to sail my custom, Footemaui wave sailboard . Theres nothing better then chasing open ocean 15' swells on the outer reefs from Hookipa to Paukukalo....Snorkleling , spear fishing...I have lots of fun "disiplines" I just don't discuss them on this great SUP forum....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
I think I'm done with the kitesurfing, Giampaolo. It just does't ring my bell like windsurfing does, especially now that I'm doing it on a longboard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »
Oh man you guys cant give up the kite its sooo fun, and a great option to SUP.  I only ride a directional surf board now and many times I ride it strapless just to practice my footwork for SUP riding.  Standing parrallel on a 5'8"kite board going 15 knots is fun for sure.  But I know its not for everyone.  Give me a call if your on Maui in the next week I will be kiting and suping eveyday and happy to share gear, instruction, and stoke. 
BTW my bro wants to tow me into Jaws on Sun or Mon if the conditions permit.  STOKED OUT OF MY HEAD :D
Sweet ;D
425-387-7258
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut