Author Topic: Shaft Flex  (Read 9001 times)

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shaft Flex
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 02:38:16 AM »
I like the Quickblade flex for distences and racing, easier on the joints. I like the c4 for surfing because it is more bouyant (easier to find) and stiffer for getting into a wave and not wanting to lose any power when it is needed.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 09:00:24 PM »
I think my bro is going to like the flex in the wooden paddle I built for him. It has a decent spring to it but I also built in a reverse camber (about a 1" deflection) to the shaft so it shouldn't flex too far.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=172.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:02:37 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TybeeTim

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:37:22 AM »
I don't notice much flex in my c4 carbon paddle, and it's a little long. However it seems that you could shoot some expanding foam in it if you wanted to stiffen it up.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »
I like the Quickblade flex for distences and racing, easier on the joints. I like the c4 for surfing because it is more bouyant (easier to find) and stiffer for getting into a wave and not wanting to lose any power when it is needed.

I am now on my third blade and I think that I have found it.  I did four miles on Friday morning, waves were terrible and went Torrey Pines towards Scripps using the C4.  I was stroking on a hard pace and pretty aggressive for and hour and a half.  My shoulders were shot all Sat and Sunday, that left me wondering if I was going to have to have shoulder surgery. 

I already have the sawyer wood / hybrid and I like it, it has more flex than the C4 but I think the blade head is a little large.  I was also getting some shoulder issues with the Sawyer.

Sunday, I went out and bought the Quick Blade Kahana http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/standupsurf.htm with the same dihedral cut the C4.  Two surf sessions later and my shoulders feel great.  The shaft is bending like hell but I have no pain after the sessions.  It is a little strange feeling the flex, there maybe some loss of speed but that may be the cost of keeping my shoulders together.

I can see is really heavy surf, i would prefer the C4 with the Rock Iron shaft but for distance and small waves, I am grooving in on the QuickBlade right now.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 07:51:44 AM »
i like the stiff shaft / flexible blade that my custom infinity paddle offers. due to it's shape, it gradually fills on the catch offering no flutter throughout the stroke cycle. there's a similar effect of the forgiveness found in a flexible shaft due to the flex of the ottertail's blade at the power stage of the stroke along which also provides a mild dihedral effect, then flattens out again for a cleaner exit. when compared to the metal shafted kialoa (for the extreme end of stiffness), which one has to manually vary the force applied at the stroke or suffer the slamming effect at the catch and find themselves fighting the flutter which further strains the muscles. the alternative solution for these flat ended blades would be the more flexible shaft option.

i do agree that blade size would have a lot to do with muscle strain but that too could be alleviated with a flexible blade.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »
Mike F.   I totally agree and actually had very much the same experience. Now I use my old Quickblade (with the braided texture shaft) for everyday and save my new Quickblade for long paddles and races. My Pohaku is for surfing sometimes and what I loan out.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 11:35:21 PM »
I've used all the high end Carbon paddles out there and my favorite is Kialoa.   In my eyes the best made, light weight quality paddles.     Look at the shape and construction of their carbon shafts and its clear how far ahead they are...   I have all kinds of paddles but nowadays my Kialoa is the only one I use.   It has the perfect amount of flex I like.       

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal