Author Topic: Shaft Flex  (Read 8965 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Shaft Flex
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
Check this out.  Here is a sequence (they are grabs from video that No Worries shot with a new vid cam) of me pulling hard to catch a little one in crumbly onshore conditions yesterday.  Look at that shaft flex.  I don't think that this could be lens distortion either as it is bending in the wrong direction for that, and is not present in shots 1 and 4. 

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shaft Flex
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »
Dude that's embarrassing. 

Warning...If you experience a bent shaft that lasts for more than four hours, consult your physician. 

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »
I've noticed that the "Laird" paddle has quite a bit of flex in my opinion. Some people like it, and say it's smoother in smaller waves. A paddle with flex may also be less brittle, and less likely to break. I have a Pohaku and it's pretty stiff. I like it. Infinity's paddles are also quite stiff, if you're looking for one with more dig and resistance. Saturday, I was checking out one of the wooden paddles made by Leleo Kinimaka and those also felt solid. Leleo won the first two SUP events on Oahu with one of his wooden paddles, and Saturday's event was won by Todd Bradley, using the Pohaku paddle.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
Hi Kalani,
Glad to have you here with the Oahu scoop.  Congratulations on your beautiful online mag.  I have you bookmarked.

This is the Laird model, and it is pretty flexy.  I just replaced a lost paddle, and have been gradually cutting this one down, to see what length feels best.  My last one was at 6-7 inches above my head, which I loved when riding waves (great for leaning on hard in bottom turns, for bracing etc), but not as well for flatwater and catching waves.  In the photos this was at 10 inches over head, and that is too long for my liking overall, but feels super powerful in the flats.  I have also tried a few wood paddles now.  Most recently, I tried one of Malama's paddles and it was really nice feeling.

One interesting thing is to feel how much stiffer the shaft feels with each inch you cut off.  It is noticable.

Best,
Randy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:33:27 PM by Admin »

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:51:43 AM »
wow! that may seem like a lot of flex but that would depend on how hard you're pulling it through the water. i'm thinking it's no problem as long as it doesn't snap on you.

i plucked down some money on one of infinity's ottertail paddles, and only after doing so did i do my research. i've tried some other paddles before but i wanted to check them out and see what they are all about. have to admit that i've been pleasantly surprised. first off i ordered a custom take-apart opting for the thicker more sturdy carbon tubing (comes in a blue color) to accommodate any weakness in the joint. they had no problem providing it and did a great job. i requested a 9" blade, the widest offered, because i'm digging into fresh water but for some reason they decided to give an 8". i wasn't happy but decided i could live with it or just look elsewhere to get exactly what i order. it wasn't that bad as it turns out. interesting flex on the blade seems to give it dihedral, the occasional flutter makes me think there's some customization i can try but otherwise a respectable design.

something that occurs to me is how feather light the carbon paddles can be. sometimes i yearn for a little more weight to sling around. it seems like a little heft might come in handy from time to time... but i'm still learning.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:53:59 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:17:17 AM »
That was actually too much flex for my taste.  It fealt unpredictable.  In a bottom turn, even on the small waves we have been getting, it had way too much give, and left me tentative to really lean on it.  But...4 inches later (at 6 inches over head now) it feels much firmer.  I would not have thought this was possible with such a realtively small length difference, but it is significanty stiffer.  I will keep this paddle for a short paddle, but I picked up a stiffer model at 10 inches over for most riding. 

Hypocritically speaking now, as I am guilty of having added to the mis-advise on this subject, I am seriously doubting the validity of ANY of the rules of thumb on paddle sizing.  With solid, skilled riders choosing heights ranging from head high to 15 inches over head, I think we may need to realize that there is no simple answer to this question. 

There are so many variables, that the body measurement rules we are using are just not realistic.  For instance, my wife an I are now riding on the same model of board, but under the 70 lb weight difference between us, she is riding a full 1-2 inches higher than I am in the water.  That distance has to be accomodated, etc, etc.

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:42:01 AM »
Thanks Rand! We are totally stoked on the site. We just added photo upload section.
It's true that eveyone has an different theory, and you're right about there being so many variables that will determine what's comfortable for you: arm length, posture, wave conditions, board thickness, etc.. The guys at C4 Waterman recommend one shaka above your height. I was talking with Blane Chambers at Paddle Surf Hawaii about it and he told me that Bonga Perkins recommends one fist over your head for riding waves. I started out with C4's advice, but it was too tall for me. My center of gravity was thrown off so I cut it down to Bonga's recommendation and it paddles like a champ.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

erinh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:25 AM »
Hello-

Here are some thoughts on shaft flex. People say they want flex, yet  the ammount
of flex most stand up paddles have, far exceeds even the most flexy canoe paddles. The canoe paddle
market is huge and they have flex ammounts dialed in from a hundred years of feedback. Stand up paddles
need to copy that, and become much stiffer. One way to do that is increased shaft diameter. I made a paddle
with a 1.45" shaft and its' nearly twice as stiff as anything on the market. And it weighs 15 ounces.

-Erin

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 11:11:45 AM »
Really inetersting Erin.

Are you talking about a carbon paddle, I imagine?  If so, is the shaft wall thickness the same?  In any event, please send some pics.  Thanks for the post!

erinh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
Hi Rand-

Yeah the paddle is all carbon. The wall thickness is .035", which is thinner than average.
Probably not bomb proof,  but that's what wood paddles are for. I have been surfing
with it often with no problems. I will post a photo or two, but I'm not sure how, any tips?

-Erin

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 03:23:14 AM »
I will post a photo or two, but I'm not sure how, any tips?

Hi Erin,
If you have a photo host, you can copy/paste the link to the shot into your post, highlight it and click on the little picture frame icon from the icon list just above the post field. 

If not, email the pic to admin@standupzone.com, and I will add it to your post. Thanks again!

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »
Not to take away from the importance of this thread, but has no one read Chan's comment?  I just laughed my a$$ off!

That was awesome - thanks for a great start to my day, Chan! 

Aloha!

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »
Thanks, glad to hear it got a chuckle. Did you watch Tom Tom’s tongue and groove paddle video?  It is hysterical.

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »
yes, Tom's movies are all great, but the 'new paddle technology' is the best.  Tom will be the MC for the awards at the 1st Annual International Waterman Stand Up Paddle and Surf on September 22nd.  Since I've veered off from the subject into plugging this event, you can get more info on this event at:

http://www.sdwaterman.com/events/SummertimeContest.htm

I hope to see most of the Southern Cal paddlers - or anyone at all for that matter - getting together for a great time, a fun paddle, and to promote our awesome sport.  See all there.....and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Aloha!

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »
I wish we could make it, but our schedule is pretty tight right now.   Please, keep us posted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal