Author Topic: SUP or Ski?  (Read 12868 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
SUP or Ski?
« on: December 14, 2007, 05:54:24 AM »

Used to be I'd be headed for the mountains. Now I want to see the beach in the snow. I bet I'll get a few odd looks today.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Blaise

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP or Ski?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:06:21 AM »
Let me know how it was. With any luck Ill be at the slope after taking care of a honey do list. Lakes in western mass are freezing over, going to have to put my board to bed for awhile.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:41:51 AM »
Its 64 degrees out with howling trade winds.     I was cold till I saw your picture...    You guys are NUTS!!!! :o

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »
You'll have to come east for a ride Blaise.

You too Blane. We'll get you a drysuit and some wool undies.... ;D. It's a balmy 32 here, water is 46, light breeze and the sun is starting to break the clouds. Hehe...a few other crazy people out there. I guess it is a little whacked.
http://www.morebeach.com/cape_cod_beach_cam/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:07:26 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Blane Chambers

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Wow, waves look better than here today and I'm not joking.   That's some really white sand you guys have there! ;)

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
Stoneaxe-

Did you go out today? It was awesome in Gloucester. Air High 20's,water low 40's, waist high, with chest high sets,clean, and no one out. It was outstanding. I owe you a phone call.

Blane, I think I am going to have the good fortune of getting one of your boards. I have been emailing with Austin and he has been really,really helpful.

ECSUP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »
I had to settle for a local flatwater workout. I would have had to ride either to the Cape or Scituate to get waves and I had to put in at least 1/2 a day of work today. I didn't hit the water until 2:00... >:(. Had a great workout and paddled in to a beautiful sunset though....the whole beach covered in snow was glowing red/orange... : ;D . I need to get a waterproof camera.

I can't wait until after the holidays. I have a couple of projects due in the next couple weeks. Once those are done I'll be on the water more.
Bob

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
Sunday...  ;D Offshore waters Mass.SUN
E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT... INCREASING
TO 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND
AFTERNOON. SEAS 8 TO 11 FT...BUILDING TO 14 TO 19 FT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SNOW AND RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN...A CHANCE OF
SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:36:12 PM »
Sunday...   Offshore waters Mass.SUN
E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT... INCREASING
TO 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND
AFTERNOON. SEAS 8 TO 11 FT...BUILDING TO 14 TO 19 FT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SNOW AND RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN...A CHANCE OF
SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

Jeez..I think you've died and gone to hell.. ;)

DJ

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »
As a Canadian, I have to support surfing in the snow. Here are some other photos to get you in the Christmas surfing mood... If you do SUP in the snow over skiing, just make sure you still enjoy the apres!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »
The sand bar at Coast Guard looks pretty good.  I remember some frosty winter sessions there in my younger days, but I can't say that I miss the frozen wetsuits and lobster claw mitts.  it will be cold enough in Santa Cruz tomorrow, with morning temps in the mid 30's.  Brrrrr...

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »
holy crapppppp!!!....are you guys freaking KIDDING ME?!?!?!!???!....

do you guys wear a dry suit for that?!?!...the kind the ice divers wear??...what happens if the freezing water hits your face??...dont you have to worry about frostbite?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 09:17:24 AM »
Yeah Sunday morning is looking good for my local spot. The Cape will be too big for me. Plymouth beach gets some nice waves in a nor'easter. Hopes it's not too choppy.

Whattya mean hell? You have to take Princess's comment about enjoying the apres into the equation. Nothing like after a long cold session taking off your wetsuit in the hottub with a hot chocolate and a little peppermint schnapps..... ;D

Nice pics Princess...looks good to me.

Hehe Steam...so far just a 4/3 wetsuit, 5mm boots and 3mm gloves. No hood...at least not yet. A little plunge feels invigorating. I'll probably need one on my birthday though...Jan 25th when temps are commonly in the teens. I'm lucky in that I generate a lot of heat, especially when working hard. I've been known to shovel snow in shorts and a t-shirt because I get too hot otherwise.

Bob

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »
All I can say is DEDICATION to FUN.  I would be out there, if I was there, luckily I am in HI and haven't even put on a pair of pants in 2.5 weeks just surf trunks.  YES!
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 05:12:53 PM »
Sure....rub it in.... ;D I'm definitely jonesing for a Maui trip. Maybe next winter.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:14:46 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal