Author Topic: Anyone know much about the Starboard pocket rocket or converse?  (Read 4614 times)

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone know much about the Starboard pocket rocket or converse?
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »
I'm looking at moving down in size and came across a few starboard models.
1. Pocket Rocket - 8-5 x 30" at 126L
2. Converse - 9' x 30" at 136L.

I'm max 170 pounds and still want something that will float me so I can maybe paddle to 1 or 2 surf spots while i'm out.
Do you guys know anything about these boards?  are they new or have they been around?

Thanks

board-boy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know much about the Starboard pocket rocket or converse?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
The Pocket Rocket has been around for at least a year and seems to be well-liked.  Do a search - lots of info.  The Converse is a new model, so not much to talk about.

SUP Dork

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »

Hey Boludo,  Right now my 3 main boards are the 9'3" ripper, 12'0" gun and the Pocket Rocket, I am about your size, 160 5'9"  I use the P.R. mostly on the beach breaks, the 9'3" an the 12' on the reefs and bigger waves. The P.R does everything on the beach breaks, nose rides, goes really fast, super fun board! As the waves get steeper the 9'3" will work much better. The problem is there are a lot of new boards coming out right now, It mite be worth waiting! Also the P.R. is very stable for a 8'5" Hope that helps.

Thomo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Science
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »
I'm 5'7 and 190 pounds. Been on standups for about a year. I demoed the converse last weekend in head high beach breaks and absolutely loved it. For me it just clicked instantly. Very stable good allround board that should work well in just about any surf. I was on the JL Mano 9'9 and the converse is more stable. I really like the JL, it is also avery good board but the Converse will be more user friendly in a wider variety of conditions. At your weight,  you could also look at the Starboard Pro 9'1 x 29.
All the best

Darran Thomas

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:24:51 AM »
P R is a great surf sup and I have had it out in 10' swell.  I weight 190 + the wet rubber and the pr floats me fine.  I would not consider it a cruiser for paddling although I am all over the place with long rides.

Can't compare to the other board, and as mentioned new models are coming out.  It might be worth trying to demo some new boards if possible.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
Thanks.  yeah the converse seems like a good board and that pocket rocket looks like it'd be a blast.  Thanks for the comments.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal