Author Topic: advice for oahu  (Read 12028 times)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
advice for oahu
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
Hi guys,
I am going to Oahu in the beginning of March and I am ready to book some place.
i am thinking about this place
http://www.vrbo.com/95867
if you browse thru the pictures you will see the building and there are tons of other listings from this building.
they all say its a walking distance from the famious surfing break
here is another from the same building with the map:
http://www.vrbo.com/235388#ownerprofile

Questions.
1. do u know this building, if yes any comments?
2. the surfing, will it be extreme? I am SUPing for three years now, probably 150 sessions, but I really do not want extreme.. and hate overcrowded spots (kinda spoiled on vancouver island)
3. if not those breakes in hailewaa, are there are other less extreme and crowded breaks on North Shore? somebody told me about "Churns"?
4. renting a board. I want to rent something like 9'6" 30" wide or a bit less, quality board only, PSH or NAISH or Starboard? where is the best place to do so? (I am bringing my paddle with me).

any of advice will be very much appreciated.

also, if you know about any other spot at Oahu where i can rent beach front for nonsurfing wife and myself with proximity to not extreme break, advice will be so much appreciated! I just referencing those condos simply cause it come up on my search engine fairly soon.

thank you!

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: advice for oahu
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »
I think you can rent boards in Haleiwa at SurfAndSea.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Hi guys,
I am going to Oahu in the beginning of March and I am ready to book some place.
i am thinking about this place
http://www.vrbo.com/95867
if you browse thru the pictures you will see the building and there are tons of other listings from this building.
they all say its a walking distance from the famious surfing break
here is another from the same building with the map:
http://www.vrbo.com/235388#ownerprofile

Questions.
1. do u know this building, if yes any comments?
2. the surfing, will it be extreme? I am SUPing for three years now, probably 150 sessions, but I really do not want extreme.. and hate overcrowded spots (kinda spoiled on vancouver island)
3. if not those breakes in hailewaa, are there are other less extreme and crowded breaks on North Shore? somebody told me about "Churns"?
4. renting a board. I want to rent something like 9'6" 30" wide or a bit less, quality board only, PSH or NAISH or Starboard? where is the best place to do so? (I am bringing my paddle with me).

any of advice will be very much appreciated.

also, if you know about any other spot at Oahu where i can rent beach front for nonsurfing wife and myself with proximity to not extreme break, advice will be so much appreciated! I just referencing those condos simply cause it come up on my search engine fairly soon.

thank you!

don't know the places. NS, can be extreme. It can be beyond extreme, but it can also be super nice. Haleiwa is close to some nice keiki breaks that can work even when other places are extreme.

March is a weaning season, but it can be pretty much anything. I'm not sure what you mean by extreme though...

Puaena Point Beach Park
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHPF_enUS358US358&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=haleiwa+puaena+point&fb=1&gl=us&hq=puaena+point&hnear=haleiwa&cid=16602964043602696389

..but it is crowded. There are uncrowded spots, but they can be hard to find.

Yes you can rent boards in Halewa or just about anywhere on the island.
Some spots are more territorial than others. Just be humble and ask people in the line up. Don't go if you are not comfortable, and remember the current

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »
I'm also interested in where to rent either a SUP or a prone paddleboard, both in town (Honolulu), and on the North Shore.
Any specific shops (other than SurfAndSea)?

thanks
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

acqua.marina

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
Haliewa is beautiful, and that place looks great, but my 2¢ would be to forget renting a car, and stay in Waikiki. Stay near Kapiolani Park, bring a wheelie deal so you roll the board around to check out different breaks (so many to choose from) and bring a really long bike lock for it while you are out surfing (good also to secure your board, esp. if you are renting a board for a week, and keeping it in/near your hotel room). Better yet, negotiate a multi-day discount from one of the many shops or beach boys and return the board daily. That way you can try lots of boards, and not worry about storing it overnight. (A huge hassle if the place you rent cannot accommodate a big SUP board.) If you want mostly easy conditions with challenge mixed in, and daily/nightly entertainment for your non-surfing spouse, Waikiki is really the place.  8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
Most of the hotels on Waikiki have board storage, they even had room for the Penetrator (19'!!!) at the place I stayed. If you want to hike around with a board get a mule before you leave. It fits into a bag about 2' X1' that you can lock to stuff or bury in the sand along with your slippahs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 02:19:17 AM »
the place your looking at looks fine.  i'd never choose to stay in waikiki, it's an extremely overcrowded area full of hotels and tourists and will have very small surf in march.  the north shore has lots of mellower breaks and will be settling down in march and theres plenty of places in haleiwa to rent boards.  rent a car and bring straps for the board and you'll be set.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
I don't think I'd stay in Waikiki either, though it's more fun than it looks. There are some nice breaks and they are surprisingly unpopulated sometimes given the number of tourists renting boards. Surfing at night is pretty cool--the hotels on the beach give so much light it's very do-able. I stayed out past midnight one night, wonderful.

The surprising thing to me is how incredibly beautiful Oahu is--I spent four days there last year just bumming around. I always thought Maui and Kuai were the pretty islands, Hawaii (big island) was too big and too much lava, and Oahu was just built up and ruined. Not so. As soon as you leave Honalulu Oahu is spectacular. Well worth taking a day out of the water just to drive around the island (but bring your board anyway). North Shore is just incredible. The best breaks on Maui probably wouldn't have a name on on the North Shore. Bill Foote said that first, but he's pretty much right. I know now why Oahu has so many secret spots. Everywhere you look there's a surfable break.

Have a great time, I did.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
If you stay on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, it's very nice. I'm talking about the last hotel in town, or the few hotels isolated from the heard. You surf breaks that are not crowded, and come evening, you can walk the town and find nice dinning. Lots of free parking in the evening.

There are breaks to the right of Diamond Head not accessible to prone guys. Just a little too far to paddle for them. You won't find a crowd there either.

I surfed the north shore only one day. The other parts of the islands were more than enough fun for us.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »
If you end up in Waikiki, you will be doing a lot of walking. Bring a mule or strong girlfriend for sure.
I made one (a mule, not a girlfriend) out of a fold up hand truck that came with the condo. Brought the beach chairs and a cooler on those all day beach days.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:00:23 AM by southwesterly »

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »
I'm also interested in where to rent either a SUP or a prone paddleboard, both in town (Honolulu), and on the North Shore.
Any specific shops (other than SurfAndSea)?

thanks

Mik911, I think you can rent boards at Blue Planet surf shop just outside of Waikiki.  Hawaiian South Shore surf shop is closer to Ala moana beach.  There are a ton of other surf shops that rent.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
If you end up in Waikiki, you will be doing a lot of walking. Bring a mule or strong girlfriend for sure.
I made one (a mule, not a girlfriend) out of a fold up hand truck that came with the condo. Brought the beach chairs and a cooler on those all day beach days.

Very clever!! You could carry a girlfriend on that too.

DW, I know the breaks you mean, I had a really nice time there. Fairly uncrowded though local prone surfers paddle out from the little community in the cove above it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:16:25 PM by PonoBill »

acqua.marina

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Val: yeah, I DO love it when people claim Waikiki has no surf. You're so right brah!  8)

acqua.marina

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »

Very clever!! You could carry a girlfriend on that too.

DW, I know the breaks you mean, I had a really nice time there. Fairly uncrowded though local prone surfers paddle out from the little community in the cove above it.

PB, guess what? The strong girlfriend carried her own board. ;)
SW, what cooler? That girlfriend would have loved a cold one. And a spammy, too.  :-*

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 12:45:52 AM »
who said it has no surf.  it has great surf.  in the summer.

Val: yeah, I DO love it when people claim Waikiki has no surf. You're so right brah!  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal