Author Topic: starboard whopper vs avanti  (Read 14656 times)

hunty

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
starboard whopper vs avanti
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can give me a comparison on which board would be better for me.

I am 6ft2 of solid build weighing approx 113kg, i would like to be able to go out in small  surf (no bigger than head high wave face) as well as explore on flat water.
I am an average surfer at best.
I like the whopper but im worried that there is not enough volume for my size, but im also worried the avanti might not be very good for surfing.can anyone give me any pointers?.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: starboard whopper vs avanti
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »
My friend weighs 250lbs and does very well on the Whopper surfing.  It floats him great! I wouldn't consider it a flat water cruiser, although it does pretty well for that width. 
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »
What is your skill level with standup? Just need to ask because the whopper could be challenging for a newbie. Where as the avanti is very wide and a bit longer stability should not be a challenge.

hunty

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »
I have never done sup before, only surfing and outrigger canoeing (oc1 and oc6)

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
I would atleast try demoing both sizes of boards you have in mind before any final decisions.  IMHO I would lean to a longer and wider board. You would actually enjoy the new venture into SUP rather than being ultimately challenged on a shorter board. Some of us just makes the wrong decision with board size and never wants to SUP ever again.

hunty

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
yeah i went for a demo on the whopper today, which was my first time trying sup.It was awesome.I felt a tiny bit wobbly, but other than that i felt reasonably comfortable.Went out on reasonably flat water.Unfortunately the avanti wont be in New Zealand till about april so i cant demo one yet.Im really keen to get into it but i probably should wait till i can try the avanti.But im gonna go out for a few more sessions and if i feel good on the whopper i might just go for it.
I tried a longer narrower board and it felt much more unstable.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
Have you considered the 11'2 x 30" starboard it looks to be a great in between size. It's the same width as the whopper just longer so it will have a bit more glide and  be much easier to catch some waves. Just figure I mention it.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »
Have you considered the 11'2 x 30" starboard it looks to be a great in between size. It's the same width as the whopper just longer so it will have a bit more glide and  be much easier to catch some waves. Just figure I mention it.
Not to split hairs, but the Whopper is 34 inches wide... not 30 ;) Unless they changed it for 2010?
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

hunty

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »
I kinda felt like i was border line weightwise on the whopper, I weighed myself today and im 115kg after all the xmas beers and food.Should you be on something where the water line is halfway down the thickness of the board or is it ok if the board sits a little bit lower than that in the water.?
Is there any recommended weight limits for the whopper?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:07:13 PM by hunty »

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:03:07 PM »
Greatdane is correct specs for whopper is 34 wide being no change  for 2010. Sorry I was lookin at the pocket rocket my bad.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
Hunty, I have the whopper and it is a great board in the waves, big or small.  I wouldn't worry if it feels slightly tippy for you right now thats expected and will improve after only a few sessions, its probably one of the most stable boards you can find.  Good luck man.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
I kinda felt like i was border line weightwise on the whopper, I weighed myself today and im 115kg after all the xmas beers and food.Should you be on something where the water line is halfway down the thickness of the board or is it ok if the board sits a little bit lower than that in the water.?
Is there any recommended weight limits for the whopper?
If you have trouble getting your questions answered... try the Starboard SUP Forum... I've had good luck there, and often their pro riders & designers will talk to you personally.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

hunty

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »
awsome thanks greatdane, their sup forum appears to have a database error at the moment but once that is sorted i'll ask the question over there.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »
If you were only slightly unstable your 1st time on it after a dozen sessions you won't be unstable at all. The volume is plenty for your size. I have a friend with one and he outweighs you considerably. You might also try the UB 11-2 x 30 as previously mentioned. It's my go to board for most surf and its very stable too. It glides better than the whopper and catches waves a bit easier.
I don't know what other boards are available to you but my advice to everyone is to demo as many as possible before you buy. The right board will talk to you.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:49:33 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
It is impossible at this time to compare the Whopper and AVANTI. As the AVANTI is not yet available anywhere I know of except in R&D at Starboards

I (6'1 278#) LOVE my Whopper in fun surf (Waist high & bigger) it RULES! Fast down the line loose off the top & Bottom. Not exactly a flatwater board but we are talking surf here. Catches wave like no bodies business. just wonderful board. I've ridden it in every construction and it works great. I particularly like the Technora but very difficult to come by here in the USA.

I have some AVANTI's order (a Technora one for me) but I don't expect to see them until June/July. It should be real interesting to see how they stack up against other board with Similiar dimensions. Which are avail. now

Naish Mana Kialua Nice shape kinda heavy but works in waves better than the Naish write up says.

Pau Hana Big EZ REAL NICE BOARD kinda longboard nose ridding Not Back foot skateboardy like the WHOPPER well made pretty fast for its size.

South Coast TURTLE (10' X 34" X 4.5") This is a better mouse trap kind of design more stable than the Whopper SUPER EASY TO RIDE and way versitile in its style (has 5 fins) I've ridden every configuration and I like it as a Quad and a Thruster with the 2+1 set up coming in a close Third.

These are just ones I'm familiar with there are probably others I haven't found yet. Let's see what the Avanti does but that is going to be a while

Don't forget the PADDLE is as important as the board!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal