Author Topic: Mano 9-0  (Read 3934 times)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mano 9-0
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »
First one in the US

Mano 9' x 27-3/4" x 4-1/8"  20.8lbs wet (rode it today for the first time)

next to a...

PSH Ripper 9'3" x 28-3/8" x 4-1/4"  24.6lbs dry

Choose your ride, both very very fun, yet quite different riding.

Maroubra SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mano 9-0
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:41:29 AM »
Helpful photos. So how did the 9 footer go? Are you light (like me at 150lb)?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:33:32 AM »
I've ridden the 9-0 twice now in only ok-ish conditions.  I'm still getting used to it and its feel.  I have noted some things so far compared to the 9-3 ripper...

-It does not catch bigger/slower waves as easy, must drop in more critical.
-It does not glide out as well in the bottom
-It's more affected by wind from its light weight, with a 10-15mph head wind it almost feels like it wants to take flight down the face.
-It's significantly more work to balance on, 25 less Liters?
-It tugs a lot less on the leash when swallowed
-It can be pumped up to speed easier on the face
-It turns like nobody's business, the first time I stomped on the tail I spun it out completely
-It feels really loose and skatey, super fun!

It's most notable traits are the lightness and turning/loosness.

I'm very happy with it so far, but I can't see it replacing the 9-3 like the 9-3 did my 10-6 C4.  In good waves it's going to really be fun. 

I'm 165lbs, been paddling for a year.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
Great review between these two. I was out the other day in the line up and talked too two different guys and they as well gave up there C'4 subvector and the other was a Gerry Lopez surftech for one of Blaine's ripper models. I  recently traded for a 9'3 ripper and am dying to try it.

Floridanimal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »
Great review between these two. I was out the other day in the line up and talked too two different guys and they as well gave up there C'4 subvector and the other was a Gerry Lopez surftech for one of Blaine's ripper models. I  recently traded for a 9'3 ripper and am dying to try it.

I went the other way.  The first board that I owned was a ripper.  I got it used from a buddy who had moved to a subvector.  After 2 months we traded off boards and I was instantly in lust.  I am going to keep my ripper for my wife and kids to play on but the SV is my new mount.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:19:20 AM »
we all love different boards and all should be grateful that
jimmy, blaine,dave et al are continually pushing the envelope

all the boards are SO different to wht we were riding just a
couple of years ago

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
What I've liked more about each board I've transisioned through had more to do with my skill level growing and the next board allowing me to progress further in the conditions here.  I've gone from a Starboard Mr Easy, to C4 10-6, to 9-3 ripper, to JL Mano 9-0 now.  Each one has opened new doors for performance and riding style in waves, but the 9-3 and Mano will share time on the water, whereas the bigger boards don't have as many advantages for the fast beach breaks I ride.

Floridanimal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »
I give a lot of thanks to Dave Parmenter and Brian for being the first to move boards in this direction and starting this shorter idea from when tandem boards were all you got.  It has opened doors for all of us.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »
Amen to new toys to tickle our fancies, my heart races just thinking of taking one of these boards out in good conditions.  Can't wait to see what the future brings.

;D

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »
ive been riding a 9'4" mano since sept. and i cant wait to trade in for the 9.' looks like the same rocker, just 4" shorter. like you, i came from bigger boards and have been working my way down. im 155 and could go smaller. my board before the mano was of course, 9'8" surf model JL and killed it! ive been riding the 9'4" with a twin fin set up, talkin about loosey gooosey, but still plenty of drive down the line and grab for steep drops. Lovin every minute of it! Nice board and thanks much for posting!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:17:09 AM by NXLVL »

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
its hard to believe that there are no other surfboard shapes out there with a rocker like the mano to compete with. seems like everything is flat for mushy type waves, when compared to short style boards. what other shapes are out there compared to the mano with a rocker?

Thomo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Science
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 01:10:04 AM »
Naish 9'3
All the best

Darran Thomas

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
Yes, 9'3" Naish.  Great board.  Swapped the stock fins for a thruster setup last weekend.  Loved it in the small, but fast, conditions. 

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
I really appreciate the extra nose rocker on the mano for steep/fast waves I ride.  I've stuck the nose a whole lot less than with my other boards.  From the limited boards I've seen and ridden, this seems to set it apart from the others.  I suppose everything is a trade off, and the more nose rocker could contribute to more wind getting under it, making it more flighty in a good headwind down the face.  It might also make it slower paddling in chop.  Everything is a tradeoff for something else.

It's really nice to find a board closer dialed to your local conditions though, and the mano certainly is great for where I'm at (Nor Cal).  I suppose the ultimate is if you find a local shaper familiar with the conditions where you ride and have them make a perfect board for your skill/style and the local conditions available.  While I love the mano, I'm already thinking of things I'd like to have changed to make it even more agreeable to my local conditions.  Can't wait to see what the designers come up with for the future!

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
its ashame it took SUPin to teach me the fundamentals of board shaping. ive surfed for over 20 years and never considered rocker vs. no-rocker, just a fish catches more waves than the potato chip. never rode a long board ever, but i loves me some SUP. at least you got da best of both worlds, 9 mano for spittin barrels w/ drops, 9'3" rippr 4 mushy no-dropprs. lucky u!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal