Author Topic: Camera  (Read 5261 times)

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Camera
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:02:32 PM »
What are you folks using to shoot pictures while SUPping?
I'm interested in getting a point and shoot digital with decent megapixels that I can carry when going SUPping, like strap it to my body or something.  Any suggestions?  I'm particularly interested on what Blane used for taking those shots of Leleo in the gear section.  How do you carry your camera?
Thanks,
Honolii

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:14:10 PM »
I got the new Sony Xacti waterproof video camera but am not real happy with it. The stills are pretty darn good but its a pretty awkward camera to hold with the video screen extended. Havent really used it much since I found I would much rather be surfing than shooting. I just put it in a tiny fanny pack and take it out to shoot. Not the best setup. The screen is also very hard to see in the sun.

I've seen several people with the little waterproof Pentax Optio (I think) and its pretty compact. Still cam that shoots video. Pretty cheap too I think.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »
I had the Pentax, but it leaked one day. I wasn't good about rising it after each use, so probably my fault.
Now I use the Olympus, the model with the deepest rating, just in case.

Only issue is seeing the LCD screen in bright sun.

DaddyDog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
I have the Hero 3, I wear it as much as I can, but I'm too lazy to take many picts or videos, besides a few stills at the begining of a sesh.  Pict quality is marginal at best even  though it is ++ megapix (not sure how many).   

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »
Canon will be the best choice in this category IMO
I have been very happy with my Canon sd 800 IS
I even got the oem underwater housing and has been flawless. I am loving the video feature and it does 30 fps at 480x720 and looks good.  

I am taking it to HI tomorrow  ;D
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:40:49 PM »
I use the Olympus 790SW waterproof point and shoot camera. As far as I know there are only two point and shoot waterproof cameras on the market, the Olympus and the Pentax Optio. The rap on the Optio is that is takes better pictures than the Oly but it will spend more time in the shop with leaks than in the water taking pics.

My water shots are all taken with the Olympus. You can check my blog and see the results.
http://srfnff.blogspot.com/ Another very good shooter is K1...check his blog for some fantastic water shots. I think he uses the Oly 770SW. http://dalybread.blogspot.com/ Jason is a much better photog than me and has the Oly wired.

Here are a few more links from my blog that describe some of my experiences with the camera. You can also do a search on the blog for references to Olympus.
http://srfnff.blogspot.com/2007/10/indian-summer-and-new-camera.html
http://srfnff.blogspot.com/2007/11/waterproof-camera-neck-strap.html

The Canon mentioned will need a waterproof housing. Most cumbersome when trying to SUP. The Sony Xacti is a movie camera that takes stills or frame grabs from the movie. I've heard the Xacti has reliability problems too.

For some reason people are really uptight about the reflection on the viewing screen but I've always thought that when you're out there balancing on your SUP the best you're going to be able to do is point in the general direction, hope the surfer is framed and do the editing later in your computer. The Oly takes it's best image quality shots in wide angle. As soon as you activate the zoom you lose image quality. K1 says his best shots are 10-20 feet from the subject with no zoom. Hard to do on a SUP. For me safety is an issue so I'm not going to get too close to the surfers/SUPers that frantic collision avoidance maneuvers are necessary. Therefore no zoom means pretty distant (but better quality) subjects which I can enlarge in the computer later.

Bottom line for me is that the Oly is the bombproof camera you want for use on a daily point and shoot snapshot basis. You won't get the highest quality images because bombproof point and shoot housing, and high quality lens aren't being made yet. Best buy for the money is the Olympus IMHO.

Hope this helps....

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »
Here's my 2cents: I've got the waterproof Sanyo Xacti- or more precisely I've got my second Xacti- the first one just stopped working correctly (black screen) so Sanyo gave me a new one. I know Tom of Tom Tom productions also had problems with his Xacti so I'd have to say that of the people that I know who have one, they've all malfunctioned.

As far as taking water shots, I'd have to say it's adequate for what I'm doing, which is posting to my blog. Photos that I've taken look good, land photos look really sharp. I really bought it for the water proof video feature- that, I can say, is pretty darn slick. Clips are saved to an SD card (I've got a 4gb card in it and have never maxed it out) and compressed, uploading is fast and easy to my iMac. It's fun throwing together little surf vids using the Mac and this camera. I did one little vid along the Malibu coast- in one of the shots I swam underwater with the camera and shot up through the water at my friend looking down- the shot came out great and the effect (I thought) was cool.

I like the camera for what it is and for the video feature- I plan on treating this one a little more nicely (I have to admit the first one got abused- stuffed into the wax pocket of my trunks, screen slammed shut, dropped in sand etc.). Would be really sweet if some company developed the same type of small, relatively high quality video camera to Military Specs: highly waterproof, shockproof, sand impervious etc.

My buddy's a fabricator who's making a plexy camera housing for my xActi that I can screw to the deckmounts of SOS BigRed- so be on the lookout for some POV vids!!

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 09:57:36 PM »
I have the Olympus 725SW, which you can buy on ebay, reconditioned (new but returned, mine looked brand new) for only 180-190 bucks.  A little heavy, but strong case, waterproof to 15 feet, drop proof to 5 feet, takes great photos. I take it everywhere nowadays. I got it just before the Ironman here in Kona, did water safety on the SUBS (along with Dave Kalama, Laird, Jack G., and Makana D.) Awsome day! Got some great photos of the boyz, and tons of photos of the swimmers in the race. Had it hanging around my neck. Now I have the floating wrist strap and keep it in my pocket when surfing. THey also have a arm pouch to hold it in which will be my next purchase for it.  I love the thing.  The 790SW is better, but 340 bucks. THe 725SW is a great buy IMO.   

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:15:16 PM »
HEY! Thanks for all the feedback. This is what I was looking for, different opinions and views and why.  This gives me ideas on what to research on. Thanks!
Big Island Mike:  I did waterpatrol for the Ironman in '94 and '95. Of course on a prone board back then. Wish I had a watercamera then also, electrifying! Unreal perspective from the water looking at the crowd, athletes, helicopters, etc, and then the "BOOM!" from the canyon. The view and memory is forever etched in my brain. Made me want to trying out for the triathalon, as I also had a couple friends doing it. Alas, training is reality and triathletes are a different breed....
Went to Mahaiula's Sunday, some size but waaay too wind blown for SUP.  Went out any way on my longboard, caught 3 waves, and came right back in...too much chop. Hope it cleans up for this weekend.
Aloha!

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
ON my second OLy - cracked the back of it.  Took the shockproof to seriously and cracked the first.

Kind of a pain in the ass, going into video mode.  Every time you stop and start up the camera it reverts back to photo mode.  You have to go and adjust it into video mode and then it will video.  Takes around 30 seconds for me to do it, so you have to plan ahead for the video shots. 

Photo taking ability is OK and not as good as a canon.

The photos and the videos are great just being on the H20 and able to get it wet is worth the issues.  I have been out with some friends that have surfed for 30 plus years and never had an on the water shot taken.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 03:34:03 AM »
I bought the silicone rubber housing cover for my Olympus. It provides an extra level of protection for the camera and my SUP against dings. I ordered it direct from Olympus. I recommend it to all Olympus users.

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
I thought the housing was plastic. Silicone! That sounds cool. What about carring it around, does it make it bulky?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
I thought the housing was plastic. Silicone! That sounds cool. What about carring it around, does it make it bulky?

The housing is 1mm thick stretchy silicone. Think of it like a slip on rubber sock, only molded for a prefect fit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
Pictures of the cover here.

http://ncpaddlesurfer.blogspot.com/

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
Ehh Honolii, Mahaiulas? I bet the way outside is sick for big drops out there. Nobody ever goes out there and it has to be big for it to break.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard