Author Topic: Who plays guitar?  (Read 8332 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who plays guitar?
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:34:36 AM »
I have been playing guitar for around 15 years and enjoy it so much.  Wish I would have kept at it when I was in junior high. 

Lately I have been playing christmas carols.  Kind of cool because I hear people singing them as I play.

I find guitar is another path to the zone. For the last year or so I have been pumping nylon playing flamenco style. Been into classical, blues, finger pickin, flat pickin, surf but the latest has been flamenco.

So who plays guitar or any other musical instrument or vocals? 

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who plays guitar?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »
I have a couple of Ukuleles that i play but i would not dare play to anyone else but my kid...he thinks i'm really good! He's just 1 1/2 years old  ;D

jimbro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
I play guitar quite a bit myself.  I will tell ya though i go on spurts.  I will play for 3 or 4 months straight and then not play for 2 months.  Very hard to consistently practice.  Any of you guys have the same problem as me?

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
I have a couple of Ukuleles that i play but i would not dare play to anyone else but my kid...he thinks i'm really good! He's just 1 1/2 years old  ;D

Thats classic!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
I don't play myself but I'm a big fan of Joe Bonamassa.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself his new dvd for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonamassa-Live-Royal-Albert-Hall/dp/B002L5GQGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260994727&sr=8-1-spell

It's a beauty..  :)

DJ

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »
I do, just not all that well. My doggies are my best audience, everyone else heads for the hills. :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
I play at it, have some nice guitars, but my wrists don't let me play much anymore. So I do Uke instead. I suck at Uke, but it's fun. My specialty is "little surfer girl". The babes like it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
Juuuuust take a look at my pic and you'll know what I'm talking about... ;D

Kidding... The soundtrac'k of the vid posted at Leko Salazar topic in sessions is actually me singing and playing all instruments...

Mahalos,
Bob.

Reef Rocket

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »
Yup! I do.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
Ekolu Kalama sure does--what a talented guy. Nice voice too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »
I have such a difficult time singing while playing.  I suck at it unless I am just doing strumming.

My mother in law likes me to play home on the range when she visits as the whole family likes to sing it. I play the melody (lead) and almost everytime I open my mouth I screw up the melody.

I really admire the skills of those who can play technical lead and sing.

I rarely don't play daily even if for only 10 minutes.  Sometimes I may play for an hour or so and with others well then it can go on for many hours.

There are so many skills that need to be acquired to play well (which still eludes me) that it can be a lifetime of learning. That alone is satisfying but in the beginning it is nice to have a nice sound.  For this it helps to pick up sheet music like Dylan and strum the cords.  Learn the cords of the song first then go at it. If you are holding the cord then it is hard to get a bad sound.   

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 04:51:12 AM »
I can only play the meat organ and bongos...

Reef Rocket

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
Wish I could make it to the Donovan concert tomorrow night in Ft. Lauderdale. Ekolu is supposed to get on stage and jam with him. Should be good.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
I can only play the meat organ and bongos...

Is that like the skin flute?

Jared K.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
Just bought a few toys I've been wanting for my little setup.  I got a loop station and a small effects board....now I keep saying: "Damn, where the hell did those last 5 hours go?" The looper is super addictive, just pick a drum pattern, lay down a rythm, and jam away! I was in the classic pattern of playing hard for a month, then losing interest, but I'm finally stepping it back up...I think I'm going to find a teacher and start doing lessons again to retain the motivation!! 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal