General > The Shape Shack

HELP?...styrofoam board and polyester resin = BAD

(1/3) > >>

steamroller:
so i hit a rock last week with my EPS *i think* popout  regular surfboard...one of those epoxy boards with the styrofoam inside...it fractured the epoxy and glass around the fin box so i decided to try and fix it today...

totally forgot about the foam composition...just used regular old polyester resin from Home Depot...WRONG...the second i poured it on the foam started to slowly melt...where the heck are all these bubbles coming from?!?!?!...after 5 min...UH OHHHH?!?!!...after 10min its all over...this is BAD!!!!!! :o

QUICK....shop vac it all out of there as best you can to minimize the damage...whoops ....too late...now what do i do???

im planning on waiting a couple days to let the resin that i couldnt get out finish eating the foam and fill it all in again with gorilla glue but then what?

what kind of epoxy do i use for this thing?...the only kind i know of is the kind that comes in the two tube syringe from Home Depot...squirt it out...mix it up and spakle it onto the board over fiberglass???

im out of my league here...all i know is regular surfboards...none of this new fancy stuff....HELP....

after 5 min...

after 10 min...

i wish Sam was here....

:'(

cape supper:
Hi Steamroller

From what I can see, the styrofoam that surrounds the back part of your finbox got eaten. You now have a void that will need to be filled.

I this case I would get some epoxy laminating resin and mix it with a large amount of glass bubbles and fill the void. (overfill it slightly) After the epoxy is dry, flat everything down flush with the hull. Mix up a little more epoxy laminating resin and cover the affected area with 2 layers of 4oz. cloth and sand smooth.

If you have never worked with epoxy before, no worries. You must always mix by weight and stir the mix well. A nice guide is provided here for epoxy technique.
http://www.foamez.com/pdfs/Epoxy%20EPS%20Construction%20Guide.pdf

I use a cheap digital kitchen scale for mixing epoxy and it works great.

All is not lost, your board looks totally fixable.

Ciao

Cape.

JC50:
Agree with Caper. If you're unsure of what epoxy to go with, West System makes a decent enough epoxy while making it real easy to mix correct quantities. They also make microfibers to thicken up the epoxy and that's what I'd use here to keep fill as light as possible. You can find the stuff at pretty much any marine store.
I'd go with smallest cans of 105 resin & 205 hardener (get the pumps to ensure proper mixture), and use 403 Microfibers. You can use straight resin with 4 or 6oz glass at the top as Caper suggests.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/product-selection-chart/

The stuff has many uses and lasts a while so you can use whatever's left for many projects.

Good luck!

cape supper:
Yeah ! :) Ive used West Systems before. Its an ideal product for repair work. These days I use Gurit SP for board building.

goomba271:
Gorilla Glue foams up pretty good and will fill those voids.  It will weigh a bit less than if you pour epoxy in there.  Just grind it a little below flush after it cures and glass over.  Clear Gorilla Glue comes is available in a small bottle and cures off-white... not a bad color match with foam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version