Author Topic: wind and sup  (Read 9539 times)

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: wind and sup
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
Insane waves again here today, but then there was some of that side-off wind to deal with too.  I usually prefer to just go windsurfing in it when its this windy.  I guess sometimes all you need to do is just spend some time SUPing in that there wind to figure it out how to SUP in it.  I probably could have been on a 5.2 and wavesailed a day that could have easily rivaled any Hookipa or San Carlos windsurfing day, except for the temps, but I had already rigged the paddle and was already out before the wind came up.  Probably rode way more waves than if I had wavesailed anyway.     

PeconicPuffin

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »
Paddle like hell and step to the tail once the board starts over the edge. It helps to start turning hard as soon as the board is accelerating on it's own too.

I had my first paddle in strong wind (22mph offshore...would have windsurfed except our launches for that direction were iced in).  I found I had to walk all the way forward to the nose to get the board to surf down the wave face (followed by a hasty retreat back, then turn) as the wind was getting under the nose and seemingly preventing any drop at all.

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »

I had my first paddle in strong wind (22mph offshore...would have windsurfed except our launches for that direction were iced in).  I found I had to walk all the way forward to the nose to get the board to surf down the wave face (followed by a hasty retreat back, then turn) as the wind was getting under the nose and seemingly preventing any drop at all.

I know exactly what you mean Puff.  Back on December 28th I SUSurfed with some friends.  It was really blowing strong off shore- enough to get under the board and toss it back.  After I while I found out the same technique you mentioned is the only chance of getting on the down slope.  It is a really weird feeling being fwd of center with nothing but air under you and gravity not doing its job! :o 

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
in paddling into 20+ knot winds, standing up is kinda useless, unless you're built like laird.  i find that sitting cross legged or legs straight out like a kayak makes for easy up wind paddling.   i bring my shaft hand down close to the blade and treat it like paddling an outrigger or canoe.  keep the lower hand almost straight throughout the stroke which makes your torso do the work. by sitting vs kneeling, you have more flexibility with our hips to edge the board to turn, etc.  and the lower you are, the less you're catching wind. i move 3/4 up towards the nose to keep nose from catching too much wind, yet keep it high enough to not grab too many waves.  i've paddle this way in up to 35kts.  easier paddling downwind. 

i've seen a lot of newbies going out without knowing about a possible weather change, then having to paddle back in heavy wind. not a great way to get more interested folks into the sport. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
Paddle like hell and step to the tail once the board starts over the edge. It helps to start turning hard as soon as the board is accelerating on it's own too.

but if the wind is heavy off shore and you move too soon the board might take off as the wind flows up the wave face...it happened to me one of the first times I went out, and the board lifted off...an 11'6'' got good air and I had to dive in to not get hit (hand and paddle up) After that I've been moving back kind of late for the drop on strong off shore winds.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill