Author Topic: A change of scene  (Read 5657 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
A change of scene
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:58:05 AM »

It seems that the attitude and demeanor of SUP'ers is different than your average surfer.  I haven't figured it out yet, but maybe its the  freedom that SUP allows us.  Freedom from the constraints of surfing in one spot as opposed to and 'area'.  Freedom from the crowds and freedom to stop and enjoy the ocean and not just the waves.

I read this post by iwaterman and wanted to build on its underlying question: What is it that has the stand up community so, well...emotionally involved in the sport?  From reading here it is obvious that many if not most of us have spent much of our lives in the water, so what is different with Stand Up?

For myself, the first answer is conflict, or the lack thereof.  The traditional lineup has become a tense place.  Certainly, there are exceptions, and there are those perfect, uncrowded, static-free days.  Too often, however, the resource shortage plays out, and soon sparks the flare up.  Maybe its being 40 now, but listening to a nearby skirmish in the lineup, a threatened beat-down, a send-in, it rattles my peace.  What's worse, surf culture has moved (at least in part) from the days of Endless Summer style adventure, to the recent MTV/North Shore type surf reality shows that have actively promoted and glamorized territoriality and surf aggression.  Enter Stand Up.  In the last few months we have seen lifetime surfers take up the sport (at first privately and hesitantly, but then as enthused participants), and seem almost euphoric about it.  Why?  In part, I believe it is because Stand Up has fixed for them something that they may not have consciuosly known was broken.  Relaxation, fun and silliness have returned to play time.  Hoots for a great ride, letting the person on the shoulder get their fair share, board swapping, the freedom to express enthusiasm for the day, the sport, the other guy.  In short, I think part of it is that we are acting in a way that is consistant with how we feel about ourselves.

Back in school, I had a Psych professor who was convinced that if you want to bring a group together, the best way to do it is to make them learn something together.  Such is true of Stand Up.  Something about plopping in the water for no apparent reason (yup, it happens to everyone) acts as a great equalizer, it keeps the cool level down, and focuses the activity on fun.

Best,
Randy

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A change of scene
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
....well said Randy, I couldn't agree more.

I was trying to expand on my earlier thought this morning while out in the water, watching 200 lb. Groupers feed, beautiful leopard sharks swim right beneeth my board, and sea turtles float effortlessly by.  It occured to me that those of us who have taken up stand up paddle surfing have a completely different outlook on life than the guys stuck in the standard prone paddle line up.  Our paradigm of life is much broader than those poor, undernurished chaps that are fighting for waves, dodging stink-eye, and in general focused only on the task at hand, which is to eat (the food being the 'feeling' that we are all so familiar with).  They are so focused on eating that they forget to taste the food.  Paddling out into the lineup of prone paddle surfers could sometimes be likened to sticking your hand in the bowl of a hungry dog and getting 'the growl'.  Stand up paddle surfing has allowed us to be nurished so that we have more time to spend enjoying all that the ocean has to offer. 

I know that's an odd analogy, but then everyone that knows me knows I'm a strange cat anyway.

Aloha!

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:35:33 PM »
I'm with you all the way. Stand up paddle surfing is about noticing the little things; the sun streaking though the clouds on the horizon, an airbrushed sunset, and the palms in the breeze bidding you to stay out just a little bit longer. The other day when I was out surfing, I decided to paddle up the coast to ride the empty waves further along the shore. While I was paddling, I found myself gazing at the ripples passing under my board, and the most amazing thing happened. I felt that rush and peace of a riding a clean and open face go right through me as I began mind surfing those little ripples while I  was paddling into the wind. I started planting my paddle on the left, then the right. After that, I had not desire to return to the lineup where I came from, I had found the endless wave.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

Blane Chambers

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:05:12 AM »
Yesterday the waves were chest high fun stuff then a rain squall passed thru...    A few minutes later the most insane double rainbow appeared.   The kind with super vibrant burning colors....   The water had turned to oil glass.    Way on the inside paddling back out a perfect set peeled off to wide for anyone to catch so there I was, standing in awe  looking at the most incredible rainbow with perfect empty waves peeling right at me...      Oh yeah, tons of fish and turtles swimming all under me.......    Freaking AWESOME!!!!!!

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 05:47:52 PM »
Here on the East coast, Stand up has to be sent from Heaven! During summer, unless a tropical low is within sight, we have mostly knee high and glassy untill fall. Now, I don't even check the waves, I just head out and see what happens. I try to make sure I have specific music already playing in my head before I head out, otherwise your car radio will dictate what music or commercial spot ,your head will play while you paddle (at least for me anyway).

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:27:32 AM »
I have been Surfing for about 25 years, and SUP has filled the void of perpetual flatness we ahve here in the Gulf of Mexico. I just got my new Island Surfboards Epoxy SUP yestreday, and as soon as my Sunburn heals from yesterday, I am heading out for a spin on it. Untl now I have been using a windsurfer, woth moderate sucsess. There is just something so cool aboput cruising the shoreline, and checking out the surroundings.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 09:43:21 AM »
"There is just something so cool aboput cruising the shoreline, and checking out the surroundings."

I agree!   Yesterday I paddled from a friends house in Haleiwa up the coast and just hugged the inside right next to the beach or went over the shallows and saw sooo much cool stuff!    Tako (Octopus), fish, turtles, Urchins etc, etc, etc...     I also checked out the reef of our surfing spots which was very cool....   

Did an hour or so on my 10 footer...    I love it.    Paddle and cruise then pound out some sprints, then spin around practice for the surf...    I was born and raised in Hawaii and grew up on the North Shore.     At 43 years old I am still not jaded on the beauty here.    Stand Up makes it even better!

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 10:20:13 AM »
Scrappy's, Taint's and Leftover's

I find myself surfing breaks with the worst names these days.  Yesterday, I padlled in decent south shore waves for almost 5 hours.  About an hour and a half in breaks with better names, and ample crowds; the rest of the time on my own or with one or two other stand up paddlers.  In the morning (ultra low tide) Taint's was waist to shoulder, windless, and completely empty.  I rode 20 plus waves before Chan paddled over, and then many more together.  We were joking in our best John Oliver impersonations, "no you take this one, I insist".  Too sweet!

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
I have Surfed Leftovers, on my Honeymoon 2 years ago. I didn't know about SUP'n then, wish I had. I plan on comming back out to Oahu within a year or so. I have a few friends that live out there. Was great to have people I grew up with showing me around the Island. Got to see places I don't think I would get to see as just a tourist. Also got my A** handed to me on the North Shore LOL . But I would have loved to paddle around Waikiki and surrounding areas. Just total beauty everywhere you look. Well except all those High Rise Buildings ha ha.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 04:05:14 PM »
Hi Blane,
I'll be on the South Shore Mon - Fri.  Then off to Da Big Island.  Let's surf. 
cell 760 213-4133.
Aloha,
Tom English
Aloha,
Tom English

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 12:02:05 PM »
k... my little story.... 

Day after Thanksgiving, glassy, early morning. Kanaha little too big me since I still was riding the big 12' and didnt wanna take anyone out...   ;D

Soooo... looking for alternative spot, decided to head over to inside Kite Beach... Breaks fairly decently when its big although it can be pretty shallow.  No one out, looks pretty murky and there's a strange smell in the air.... hummm... Still... I go. All alone for about an hour, having a blast, caught set and was on the inside turning to head back out when....  out of the murky green/brown water rose this grey shape, almost as long as my 12' bright yellow board... We both checked each other out, motionless except for my pounding heart, then mr grey suit sank back down into the murk.. I carefully sat down and paddled in almost not believing it.

Dont think it was a Tiger... pretty bullet shaped with a huge upper tail fin and didnt see any stripes.. After a little research, I think it was a Galapagos... Actually fairly common.

Kinda odd but I wasnt that scared, more in awe..., perhaps because none of my appendages were in the water at the time..

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 03:00:32 AM »
I'm only new to it but after years of surfing its a breath of fresh air. The only negatives ive had are from longboarders.The shortboarders are very interested, bearing in mind I stay well away from both in the surf at this early stage.Maybe the longboarders want to maintain there domineering ways, but anyway who cares im having a blast.Cheers from Australia. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal