Author Topic: Need advice before ordering a 14' Bark  (Read 2663 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need advice before ordering a 14' Bark
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:13:04 AM »
Hi all,
I'm about to order a 14' race Bark. Will use it in flat to choppy Swedish water. From my so far limited email correspondence and a phone call to Joe he seems to be a very nice person to deal with.

About the board I have a few questions (of course I will discuss this with Joe, but would like to hear more opinions):

1) How big difference makes the carbon in performance? With a carbon bottom (glass deck) the board becomes about 27-28 pounds instead of 29-30 and a full carbon saves another 2 pound. I also assume the carbon makes it quit a lot stiffer? Each side is USD300...  What are your calls, no, half or full carbon?

2) From the pictures I have found in the web, it does not seem to have a lowered standing area? Why not? Should I ask Joe to incorporate that? Pros, cons?

3) I’m 6’ and 180Ib, will 28’’ be a good width or could I go down to 27 ½’’

Best,

Jesper B

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Need advice before ordering a 14' Bark
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:55 AM »
I've built a few 14 footers with different carbon layups.

My findings are carbon eliminates nose chatter. Ever paddle a long SUP and hear the hull slapping chop and see tiny vibrations at the nose? Even a 12 ft pop out will do that. Full carbon stopped that.

I also found my boards are tougher with carbon. They can take some bad paddle hits and not get any ding.

Every 2 pound reduction is huge. Just last weekend I did a some testing of my 2 newest 14'6 carbon race boards. One of the boards is full double carbon on the deck, which made it 2 lbs heavier than the other. Too much carbon adds weight. My mistake. Anyway, the results of the tests showed a heavier pull from the paddle on the board weighing 2 lbs more. Any time you can reduce the effort required to pull your paddle, it has to be good.

I'd order full carbon top and bottom.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
If you can afford it... go with at least the bottom in carbon... that should make it good and stiff like DW said.  My 18' is carbon on the bottom & carbon on top but just under the standing area...  no chatter at all.  I think the 14' footers do have a slightly lowered standing area, but it is slight and hard to see in the pics.  Check out the Thread in the "GEAR" section... there are pics of a new 14' there.

My 18' is 28" and I am 6'1" 180.  It is SUPER stable and if I only paddled calmer water I would get a 26" or 27" next time.  But I do paddle occasionally in pretty crappy water and the 28" keeps me from swimming.

Good luck!

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
I own a bark 18' 6" carbon sup, I have between 26" to 27 " in width, has a rudder. Same layup as greatdane, mine is painted foam green on top deck. I'm a carbon fiber believer as I happen to work with the raw materials within the scope of my professionail day job. The board is easier to carry than my Southpoint kalama/timpone 11'6", except when the winds gust suddenly as they do here in New England :o. I love the board, probably slightly narrow for me, I get hammered when I go out in winds 30mph and over, but so what, it is till fun, and scary,but always fun. You will learn to deal with the sun/heat issues after your first run with such a fine craft. I'm sure the 14 footer will serve your needs well. Thinking of getting a 12' 6" of 14 footer (bark) this winter to add to my quiver. good liuck

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:17:48 AM »
Thank you all for the good advice. I will probably go for a carbon bottom and 27.5 wide. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to ship it for a decent price. I’m checking with some forwarders that have been good to me before. If you have any info regarding cheep shipping of a 14' board LA - Europe, please share it with me.

Have any of you been able to check a 14 footer as luggage flying trans Atlantic?

Aloha!

Jesper

Ninth Island

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
Jesper, where in Sweden do you live/paddle? I have a twenty year old aupair from Sweden who had never seen stand up boarding before coming to the US.

Alex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal