Author Topic: New 14' Bark Race Board  (Read 10114 times)

Ronan "Doc Jacobs"

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New 14' Bark Race Board
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
I just ordered a 18' race board(second hand), we will be a bunch of Bark addicted here in France. I hope it works as well as it looks...

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 02:00:26 PM »
I wasn't talking about race results. Just stoked on my new board.

Bro I would'nt care about race results either. Your board and what else Joe Bark has to offer is plain old Bad ass. Can't wait to get my 12'6 race. Aloha and enjoy

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:56 AM »
Hi all,
I'm about to order a 14' race Bark. Will use it in flat to choppy Swedish water. From my so far limited email correspondence and a phone call to Joe he seems to be a very nice person to deal with.

About the board I have a few questions (of course I will discuss this with Joe, but would like to hear more opinions):

1) How big difference makes the carbon in performance? For a carbon bottom (glass deck) the board becomes about 27-28 pounds instead of 29-30 and a full carbon saves another 2 pound. I also assume the carbon makes it quit a lot stiffer? Each side is USD300...  What are your calls, no, half or full carbon?

2) From the pictures I have found in the web, it does not seem to have a lowered standing area? Why not? Should I ask Joe to incorporate that? Pros, cons?

3) I’m 6’ and 180Ib will 28’’ be a good width or could I go down to 27 ½’’

Best,

Jesper B

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
at 14 i dont think you need carbon.  more of a pain in the ass then anything; heat, care ect.  been through a few carbon boards and, unless it was 18 or above (and then 1/2), i wouldnt bother with the stuff again.  seems like a lot of the guys that i race with feel the same way

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Question.  If the carbon is painted, is it still a problem?  Our OC-1s are carbon and they are not a problem but I could see if it was not painted that the heat would kill it.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »
Question.  If the carbon is painted, is it still a problem?  Our OC-1s are carbon and they are not a problem but I could see if it was not painted that the heat would kill it.

No, painting it white makes it cool.

It's dumb for race board builders to leave the carbon showing. It's all a marketing scam. Exposing the pretty carbon so people can see why it cost so much money. What a disservice to the consumer.

You don't see windsurfers doing dumb stuff like that and windsurfers almost all have carbon in them.

Ninth Island

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

1) How big difference makes the carbon in performance? For a carbon bottom (glass deck) the board becomes about 27-28 pounds instead of 29-30 and a full carbon saves another 2 pound. I also assume the carbon makes it quit a lot stiffer? Each side is USD300...  What are your calls, no, half or full carbon?

2) From the pictures I have found in the web, it does not seem to have a lowered standing area? Why not? Should I ask Joe to incorporate that? Pros, cons?

3) I’m 6’ and 180Ib will 28’’ be a good width or could I go down to 27 ½’’

I ordered the Carbon for durability as I want to be able to run it through the surf, may be overkill, but it is what it is. The bottom is carbon and the deck has a carbon patch in the standing area. Joe puts a four foot carbon patch on the deck of all his boards.

From mid point back the thickness of the board is 2.5" thinner, thus lowering the standing area.

If I ordered it again I would probably gone with 27-27.5" on the width. The board is super stable.

Diesel, the board is actually pigmented resin on the deck. You can paint over the carbon, but when you are trying to save weight every bit helps.

Aloha, Alex

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
Any action footage? That would be sweet addition to this thread.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 06:14:32 AM »
Thank you all for the good advice. I will probably go for a carbon bottom and 27.5 wide. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to ship it for a decent price. I’m checking with some forwarders that have been good to me before. If you have any info regarding cheep shipping of a 14' board LA - Europe, please share it with me.

Have any of you been able to check a 14 footer as luggage flying trans Atlantic?

Aloha!

Jesper

shiner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »
I paid $500 usd air freight for a 16.5 foot board from california to the uk.

twinrigskier

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »
Hey ninth island, great looking board. Was just wondering why you would order one at 27 or 27.5in next time around if you could. Because the 28in is super stable and you could cut down because of that, or are you able to get anymore speed out of a board being a little less wide?

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
Ninth Island,
Great looking board, thanks for the photos and report. 

Did you consider the Surftech Bark 14 Dominator, or just decide on the custom? 

If so, what made you go for the custom over the production board?

How wide is your custom?

I am hot for some flavor of Bark 14 after a brief paddle on the Surftech model.  Considering the price of the Surftech, I wonder if the relatively small upcharge for the custom is worthwhile. 

In general I like custom boards, and have never been disappointed in paying for good ones.  Enjoy the beautiful new machine!

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
Very sick board.  Someday I will have to get one.  Would be so fun for those summer times.  How does that board work in ocean chop?  For downwinders in the ocean no problem right?  Wish we could try them on the east coast.

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
Andygere,

I just went through what you are going through.  I was comparing the 14' Surftech version to the custom Dominator.  I currently have the Surftech 12'6 Competitor, and am very happy with it.  I went with the custom board in the end.  I think it was about 450.00 or so more, but I got exactly what I want.  I spent a lot of time talking about it with Joe and he talked me into a custom.  This was interesting, because he talked me into the Surftech model last time.  Here were the 3 things that got me over the hump on the custom.

1. Joe though the Surftech might be a little too narrow for me.  I weigh 210lbs.  We went with ~29" instead of ~27".

2. I was able to get the exact color scheme I wanted, plus some custom graphics, which ensure I have a one of a kind board.  Not a huge deal, but kind of nice.

3. I went without Carbon Fiber.  Joe really pushed me away from Carbon.  I live in Texas and it gets pretty hot out here.  He was concerned about that with carbon.  Plus, he said it really isn't needed, and he plans to start moving away from it with his BOP boards in the future anyway.

Johnny Mac

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
That is a beautiful board brother.  It looks like it should be in a museum of art.  I am constantly amazed at the skill and total artistry some people possess.  I just bought a Bark 18'6" prone board and can't wait for it to be delivered. I am trying to budget some money for a custom Bark 14' SUP as well.  It would take me no time at all with the finances but my wife keeps nagging me about paying for stupid groceries and the mortgage....whatever.  Again beautiful board!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal