Author Topic: Do You Have Paddle Questions?  (Read 3757 times)

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Do You Have Paddle Questions?
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »
Does anyone have questions on the stand up paddles? I’m going to interview Dave Chun who started Kialoa Paddles 17 years ago next Tuesday. If you guys or gals have any questions then post them as a comment and I’ll ask him.

http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2007/11/29/do-you-have-paddle-questions/

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: Do You Have Paddle Questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
Howdy,
I actually do have a paddle question...
When I have looked at some photo's of myself flat water paddling, I can see a huge amount of flex in my paddle shaft.  Is this a design feature to save my tendons, or am I being robbed of efficiency?  If my carbon bicycle flexed this much, I'd have to throw it away!
I use a 2-piece C4, & I weigh 180lbs.  Maybe a one piece shaft is better?  Just curious.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Blane Chambers

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »
Be happy it flexes!    Super stiff paddles send all the torque right into your body.    I know plenty canoe paddlers that have wasted shoulders, elbows etc.    The length of the SU paddles is a blessing if its carbon...   Flex is your friend.

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 02:40:10 PM »
G'day from down under.

I'd love to know if anyone is using a paddle that's symmetrical (no off-set with the blade).

I've been using a straight blade paddle for a couple of years now and I like it..Maybe because I'm so used to it.

Is anyone making a quality paddle without any off-set?..Also what degree of off-set is best..They seem to vary a lot.

Does how tall the person is have any effect on how much off-set there should be..A canoe or outrigger paddler would swing through a much shorter arc so more off-set makes more sense to me.

They say that the most important part of the stroke is the first 6-8" (where I think a straight blade works better) and not at the end of the stroke (where the off-set blade is working best).

Just wondering....Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.. ;D

David

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 03:08:31 PM »
I'm interested in DJ's question too. I haven't paddled my latest build yet but it's a straight shaft so I guess I'll have a personal answer this weekend.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=543.0

I know from your previous post that they are being made. I'm wondering what users impressions are. As DJ mentions, seems like it's unnecessary based on the mechanics of the stroke.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:15 AM »
Be happy it flexes!    Super stiff paddles send all the torque right into your body.    I know plenty canoe paddlers that have wasted shoulders, elbows etc.    The length of the SU paddles is a blessing if its carbon...   Flex is your friend.

I would be interested in his thoughts on the flex and the relations to shoulders/ elbow issues.  I have 4 different paddles and I finally determined that flex was good like Blane.  I now use the Quickblade paddle which is a like a noodle compared to the C4 but i have no pain in my shoulders anymore.  Expensive but cheaper than surgery and being off the H20

WHat is the right flex and what learning does he have from outrigger paddling that could help stand up paddlers?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 06:27:54 PM »
i use a straight paddle with no angle in the blade...i like it much better for paddling...personal choice...the only bad thing for me is that it gets stuck in the face of the wave sometimes if i dont complete my stroke while i am crusing down the line...

i think the angled baldes have all their power from the blade entry point to about your big toe then its time to take it out and take another stroke ...lots of short really quick hits

i like the straight blades cause you can pull all the way from the entry point all the way past your heel and twist your torso till the blade is maybe a foot past your heel...big long strokes where you can crank the hell out of it....like when youre doing one arm seated cable rows....long stretch and puuuulllll and squeeze that elbow whip it around behind you around at the end of the stroke...

i know the C4waterman guys say that this way is not as efficient but it feels better for me.... ;D

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »
Great questions everyone.  Any others before Tuesday?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 05:17:06 AM »
i'd like to know if there are any differences b/ a good paddle for skinny guy like me and one of your pipecharging big bruisers.  sometimes i stick my 9"-wide blade in the water and it just won't move for enuf of a split second that i notice it and it throws me off.  i'm thinking that skinnier blade (but how skinny) coupled with more flex in the shaft is the answer; but i dunno for real.  could you ask?

oh yeah -- and when are paddle prices going to reach normal mortal levels?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:18:45 AM by linter »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 08:31:17 AM »
How about the need for a quiver of paddles? I'm thinking cruiser, surfer, and combo at least and I only have one board. Maybe more for those with a quiver of boards.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »
Definately a quiver.

IMO: Shorter and stiffer for surfing, and 1.5" longer and more flex for point to point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal