Author Topic: tube ride???  (Read 11148 times)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
tube ride???
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
i try so hard to get barreled on stand up but just cant do it. i drag paddle behind me high on wave and slow down but just cant get in i get like back of my body but just cant commit. i get worried about having large paddle board slam me after going over falls. any tricks? i guess i just gotta get some more balls and just commit. we don't get big hallow waves here often but i spend whole sessions like today trying. i want it soooo bad.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: tube ride???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:08:50 PM »
I had a thread going a while back on this subject that you can look up.  One question, is the wave usuallly throwing a barrel most of the time when you are riding and you are too far in front or are most of the waves not throwing a barrel?  One way to check that is to do a really deep drawn out bottom turn behing the lip andwait for the wave to set up.  Then pull up into the pocket and stall.  It is not that easy on a SUP and I have not done it myself either out of fear of the big board.  I think it will happen in due time for both of us as we get more comfortable and cofident on our boards.  Good luck with your tube hunt.

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »
work on riding smaller boards and taking off later...
my best barrels were this summere on my SUPs.. no reason why SUPs with the right timing and waves dont get barreled..
Diesel is on the money with his comment..
My comment is from my last session..A short boarder on the inside said my late take off got me into the barrel ..
As i have been getting better and having more time to set up, I fing that im now dragging a hand to slow down a bit....  Dave 

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:15:14 AM »
Yep, you have to earn your tubes.

Watch videos of the tube masters like Shaun Thompson comes to mind.  He redirects under the curtain and holds it so long.  This was in the day of rounded pin tails and single fins.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »
I was just thinking of something.  SUP's have so much drive and glide compared to a normal board that you could do a super faded bottom turn and get behind the pocket real low on the wave.  Then you can bottom turn and come from behind, hooking yourself right into the pocket for a nice cover-up.  I will try this and report how it goes.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »
ya it seems to me on sup its all about the lateness i find it hard to slow down. board is so much faster. on short board u can slow down so easy and let things set up. im getting in on some good but tough time coming out.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:08 PM »
Geez, I find it pretty easy to go slow on a SUP. Pretty much automatic in fact.

I've only gotten in a tube once, but I'm still talking about it. I suppose it doesn't really qualify, little tiny microtube at Kanaha that knocked me off the board after about five seconds inside, but hey, I got shacked!!

I've never seen a wave break top to bottom at lower Kanaha other than this one--they're mostly mushburgers. Some nice tubes at uppers sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
My problem is I can't scrunch my body small enough for the small tubes and I'm too chicken to pull into the stand up barrels. ;)

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
I was just thinking of something.  SUP's have so much drive and glide compared to a normal board that you could do a super faded bottom turn and get behind the pocket real low on the wave.  Then you can bottom turn and come from behind, hooking yourself right into the pocket for a nice cover-up.  I will try this and report how it goes.
   This is how we get it done at my home spot. It works.... ;D

NCBA

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:36:20 PM »
You have to either drop in high in the curl and stall or turn off the bottom up to the curl and stall. Most of the time you're stuck at the bottom trying to lean into the curl which results in the head dip/cover suedo barrel or wipe out. When you pull in high, stall and get it you'll know it. It pulls you in, sort of. I get lots of suedo barrels and almost/out in front, mainly because we have short/small surf on the East Coast US. That's why they call "The Pipe Masters" , it's a learned skill through trial and error. One of the best is now a SUPer!

Chuck Patterson

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »
Tube riding is all about the set up when your making the drop into the wave. Some waves break super fast and some slow depending on if it's a reef, beach break, high tide or low tide. These boards are so much bigger then the average surfboard so it's important to get into the wave early so you can set yourself up for a big bottom turn and then hit the bowl section; or if it's a fast throwing wave, you will want to high line right after your take off so you can keep your speed to make the section. It's a delicate process some times, where you may out run the tube or get locked in and blown apart if you don't have enough speed.
Be prepared to take a couple good beatings, but in the end it's all worth it.
Front side tube riding is easier then backside depending where you are riding, but a tube is a tube so enjoy.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
Tube riding is all about the set up when your making the drop into the wave. Some waves break super fast and some slow depending on if it's a reef, beach break, high tide or low tide. These boards are so much bigger then the average surfboard so it's important to get into the wave early so you can set yourself up for a big bottom turn and then hit the bowl section; or if it's a fast throwing wave, you will want to high line right after your take off so you can keep your speed to make the section. It's a delicate process some times, where you may out run the tube or get locked in and blown apart if you don't have enough speed.
Be prepared to take a couple good beatings, but in the end it's all worth it.
Front side tube riding is easier then backside depending where you are riding, but a tube is a tube so enjoy.

Hi Chuck,

Not that it matters for me, but just out of interest, what are you doing with your paddle?

Chuck Patterson

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »
Great question, the Paddle is another tool in stable tube riding when it gets heavy. When I do a bottom turn frontside or backside I always like to lean into it, using the paddle as an extension of my hand like when you drag your hand doing a bottom turn paddle surfing.
I find that I can hold a better edge in the steep pocket section when I lean into my paddle and it helps me track better in the tube keeping my board in the direction i want to go.
Most SUP boards tend to be thicker then the average surfboard, so when you really lean into a bottom turn to sink that inside rail; you can really extend your whole body over the water leaning on the paddle, that will help you sink that tail to initiate a sharper turn.
I hope that helps a little and i hope to see you all in the water.
Aloha, CP

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »
Chuck...Great Pictures..Love the deflection from the paddle...
Corkey Carrol watched me get tubed in Salliditas on My SUP..Until the lip caught me in the head and crushed me...
I think he got a kick out of seing me not make it...He did say if you would of ducked you could of made that wave...
  Dave..  So remember to DUCK...

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
Oh, boy!! That's why this forum rocks... Chuck Patterson in a how-to-get-barreled tips?!! :o

Wow!! Luv' that!! Amazing pics!! Count me in as a huge fan... Thanks for sharing.

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal