Author Topic: One more  (Read 10860 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: One more
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »
Very nice.  What are the specs on that?

Hi Moto,
This is the finished product of the 8'6 from the first post in this thread.  Here is a snip:

8'6, 4.5 thick, 27.5 wide, wide point just back, light concave mid to double in the tail, but flat rail to rail (no Vee anywhere), pulled nose squash tail, domed deck, thin as possible (considerning the thickness) rails.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
It looks like the board is painted over the glass job, like a pop out. Why would you do that?

One feature I like about custom boards, is no paint to chip or scratch.

Was the resin not clear? No sandwich right?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »
Just got back from a 2 hour maiden voyage at Kanaha.  It was windless, chest to shoulder and mostly really mushy.  Occasionally, however a little better set would show up that would start off slow, but set up a little bit steeper open face right that would hold for 50 or so feet right over the inner reef.  Some of these were really fun.

I am really excited about this board.  I just didn't know what to expect.  I thought I might be ploopping in all the time just paddling around and really struggling.  I had prepped myself for that.  Not so.  It paddles well.  No speed demon, but fine.  Way better than I thought, actually.  This is not to say that I did not dork out on occasion and fall for no apparent reason.  I did (I always do-at least once a day).

But, holy shit!  This thing is rediculously fun on a wave.  It gets in easy enough, I found no catchy spots, and it builds speed really well.  Utra responsive.  Not really an in the flats bottom turning day, so no comment there yet.  Two fun little floats though.  I can't wait to try it out on some fun waves.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:08:49 PM by Rand »

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
It looks like the board is painted over the glass job, like a pop out. Why would you do that?

One feature I like about custom boards, is no paint to chip or scratch.

Was the resin not clear? No sandwich right?

This is Quatro's construction.  The use the amber colored epoxy due to (what is supposed to be) its superior strength and chip resistance.  Also the carbon patches they use would look odd anyways so....paint it is.  I put Mastik back on my paddle for just that reason.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 07:45:21 PM »
A couple things from today,

First off, thanks large to whomever it was that suggested putting colored electric tape over a single layer of mastik on the blade.  No more smudges anywhere.  I went with some white tape, it sticks perfectly to the Mastik and nothing to ink up your rails.  GREAT TIP!

I found another thing to love about this board today.  The pulled nose with the added kick at the end really helps in flatwater tracking.  A board of this size with small fins would tend to wander, but with that thin nose and kick, you can just edge in really significantly, dip the rail on your paddle side, and not worry about plowing a sunken full nose rail.  Same thing lets you take off with way more angle on a wave, and when rolling over a pile, no thoughts about sticking the trough side nose edge (its not there).  Nice.

Byronmaui

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
Not to change the subject but Mr. Clean Magic eraser will take off all the black marks. It is a sponge that leaves no scratches.

Aloha

Byron

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »
Thanks Byron,
Great tip.  Check out the colored electric tape over Mastik option as well.  Added side bonus is good visibility if you were to yard sale and lose your paddle.  Also, it slides rather than grips if it brushes against a surface.  That Mastik is some tacky shtuff.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »
Rand,

You said the 8'6" has a domed deck.  Can you comment on how you like the domed deck compared to other standups that have flat decks.  I've got an import board that I picked up that has a domed deck and don't care for it too much compared to the flat deck on my Ron House.  To me the domed deck causes me to have a wider stance than I would prefer and I think it adds to the instability of the board.  However, I'm sure Bill Foote does a better job with the deck than the one I have.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
You said the 8'6" has a domed deck.  Can you comment on how you like the domed deck compared to other standups that have flat decks.  I've got an import board that I picked up that has a domed deck and don't care for it too much compared to the flat deck on my Ron House.  To me the domed deck causes me to have a wider stance than I would prefer and I think it adds to the instability of the board.  However, I'm sure Bill Foote does a better job with the deck than the one I have.

Hi jd,

Mostly preference, I'm sure. 

I have had boards with domed, flat and concave decks, and I prefer a little dome.  My natural stance on this board falls where it has light angle, and that just feels comfortable to me.  To have kept the board flat to that same spot would have meant a thicker rail, a more rushed transition to the same thickness rail, or a wider board.  Also it allows a bit more volume to be "hidden" near the stringer.  Additionally, in paralell paddling stance, your feet are closer to the surface of the water, which makes more sense to me for balance than being at the board's thickest spot.  I definately like the dome better when surfing.

I asked for dome, and Bill did a great job with balacing that and all of the other stuff.  Always amazed that shapers can listen to us yammer on about I want this, and I like that, and still make a working board out of it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal