Author Topic: Troubled waters and easy steps.  (Read 29095 times)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Troubled waters and easy steps.
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »
There have been several incidents of SUP generated conflicts at the Ho’okipa area lately and top members of the SUP and surf communities have asked for our help to minimize the troubles. No SUP in the Ho’okipa area is a simple thing that we can do to reduce conflict island-wide. These spots should be reserved entirely for the surf community and known entity watermen who have a generally accepted reputation for previously surfing those spots in huge conditions.  All others should never go. 
The surf community has been openly angry, yet honest and willing to discuss ways to improve the current situation in a fair minded and respectful manner.  To do our part, we would ask that all members be considerate and honor their wishes by leaving any inflammatory pic’s or discussion of the Ho’okipa area off of this forum. 
For a more complete discussion see,
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=5508.0

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Troubled waters and easy steps.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
I just want to say that I support your efforts to persuade the general SUP community to find waves outside of the Hookipa lineup. I know a lot of guys that surf Lanes and they go there to get away from the crowd at the main Hookipa breaks. The last thing they want are SUPs crowding their spot and taking all the waves. I'm sure that part of the reason that guys SUP there are to get an easy picture of themselves on a nice wave. And unfortunately when there's a camera on the cliff aimed at them, people are generally more aggressive trying to capture that perfect shot.

For those of us that are more experienced, the outside and/or more secluded breaks have more to offer than Lanes anyway. No crowd except for us....

Thanks for trying to keep the peace.

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
Will the Standup Zone be providing a list of acceptable persons SUPing at Hookipa.
Who and how is this this list created. I know allot of my local brothers would like to see this list.

I think this is a huge can of worms, and the Zone should not and cannot regulate, but ask people to be aware of the tensions out there.

These are the exact same issues raised with the resurgence long boarding... no difference and it worked itself out.

I agree that Hookipa is a place for advanced SUPers, but that is a decision each of us have to make before going out to any break.

This decree will not be taken very well by the advanced SUPers and especially by the Hawaiian born and raised, that have surfed Hookipa all their lives.
You going to tell them they can't SUP there...You gotta be kidding me...   

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:47:55 AM »
Hi Bolt Upright,

We aren’t in a position to make any rules and we never have.  I think if you read the thread more carefully you will see that.  What we are doing is informing the SUP community of an ongoing process which was started by Dave Kalama, after a conversation he had with Brian Keaulana concerning the problems that they are seeing.   We are working on an article detailing some of the work that they are doing.  It has involved interviews and meetings with top members of the SUP and surf community.  The sole purpose of this process is to establish an environment where riders can return to fun in their respective sports.  

They have asked for our help and we are doing all that we can to assist.  Of course what they are asking for is not law, nor legally binding, but there is a long standing tradition in the surf of abiding by the word of mouth regulations of the senior members at these breaks.  

It will be disheartening if some members of the SUP community decide not to help with this, but at least we will have done our best to inform.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:58:34 AM by Admin »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
I'm Laird's long lost half cousin twice removed (whatever that means), and a mediocre SUP surfer.  Can I go out at Hookipa?  Can I, can I?   :-\
It takes a quiver to do that.

Mauirippers.com

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »
Try supping Hookipa and see what happens. Nature will take over. If you don't get pounded and humiliated you'll get your akole kicked. But some tips from the zone are good for the novices to heed. As Sam says, Give a lot of waves and take a couple. There are too many people that don't know the Hawaiian style.

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
I'm Laird's long lost half cousin twice removed (whatever that means), and a mediocre SUP surfer.  Can I go out at Hookipa?  Can I, can I?   :-\

Sorry Weasels wake, there's already enough people tugging on Superman's cape...   ;)

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 02:41:49 AM »
No SUP in the Ho'okipa area is a simple thing that we can do to reduce conflict island-wide. These spots should be reserved entirely for the surf community and known entity watermen who have a generally accepted reputation for previously surfing those spots in huge conditions.  All others should never go. 
I read this post and have the interpretation that the zone is setting the regulation set forth for those who can surf there and who can't....This is were I think that Bolt Upright may have taken this in the wrong way......but I see his point were the born and raised locals hawaiians NOT on the list of accepted few that are not looked up as the supermen of SUP.

The surf community has been openly angry, yet honest and willing to discuss ways to improve the current situation in a fair minded and respectful manner.  To do our part, we would ask that all members be considerate and honor their wishes by leaving any inflammatory pic's or discussion of the Ho'okipa area off of this forum. 
I would like to see if all pics of SUPerman stay off youtube when he's out.......or is this only for that small user group thats seems to be a major lightning rod for SUP conflict......It would be interesting to see how this pans out!

What we are doing is informing the SUP community of an ongoing process which was started by Dave Kalama, after a conversation he had with Brian Keaulana concerning the problems that they are seeing.
I talked with Brian Keaulana this morning and hetold me that he did talk with Dave on this matter.....he said "It's not the user group or it's equipment thats in question........it's the surf etiquette........I mean you can be on a short board and act stupid and if your stupid then your stupid"!!...........Don't blame the equipment or the sport....it's the individual and his action thats to blame..............and thats the bottom line"

It will be disheartening if some members of the SUP community decide not to help with this, but at least we will have done our best to inform.
Even though I'm not from that island and has not been there for two years now but frequently visit.........What's REALLY disheartening (in my eyes) is that my friends I have grown to love, share the same stoke, had dinner with, and have become very attached too........... seems to have parted there own ways and now have different views on a sport we have grown to love.

I hope one day we all can meet up and have a surf session like before, then hopefully go and eat some killer pasta/fettichini...........To be honest that was one of my most memorable moments on Maui.   :'( :'(

Aloha......Sam

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:36:16 AM »
It will blow over Sam. Friends can have disagreements. Look at you and me!!  today's big emotional issue is forgotten tomorrow.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:05:16 AM »
Aloha Bill,
It will blow over Sam. Friends can have disagreements. Look at you and me!!  today's big emotional issue is forgotten tomorrow.
:D :D :D :D :D hahaha........True to that!!!!.........Sometime I can't help but to think about what your brother last quote to me "Sam.....one day will look back at all this and laugh about it"....Yup this is so true!......meeting you finally at the BOP, racing, and having dinner at the luau.....fond memories of enjoyment.   :)

Aloha.......Sam

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
Hi Sam,
You guys are all welcome over for pasta anytime.   :)

I started this discussion by stating: “top members of the SUP and surf communities have asked for our help to minimize the troubles.”  When asked to report on the issue, and spread the word, we agreed.

Brian is a great diplomat, and his viewpoint that this is about individuals causing problems and that they should not define the sport is correct.  The very select breaks that we have mentioned are the most overcrowded and highly contested surf spots on Maui.  They are the regular spots of the vast majority of all surfers here.  Only about 20 SUPers ever go to them, and yet these spots are causing the majority of the SUP hatred on the island.  Of that 20, some are to a certain degree, accepted, and the remainder are fanning the flames.  The question we have been repeatedly hearing in the interview process is, how do we convey to these guys that they are the issue in a way that they can be receptive to?

Now back to the fun!

Local

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »
Dear all , I am sorry but  I can no longer hold myself back from this posting , I believe that there is a time and a place to make a statement and that sometimes we missjudge the time ans place . I  think that in this case the mistake should be rectified .

It does not seem right to me that a forum administrator should take it upon themselves to try and enforce any type of rules or law outside of their own website, and lets face it that is what is happening here even though you may be  hiding behind the pretense that you afre doing a service on behalf of others  this web site was hugely instrumental in  helping establish the popularity of stand up-paddle boarding and so it should also absorb the responsibility of helping the sport along, and i applaud you for that achievement. However I  feel that discussion about this thread has been avoided because a lot of  people do not want to address the obvious flaws to this stand . A huge  portion of the stand up community is talking about this thread between themselves privately and in emails  and because it is a sensitive situation  or  perhaps because the forum has been ‘ cleansed’ or filtered it seems that Chan has the first and last word . I am confused as the nature of  this post , if the “Elite” surfer ‘s wanted  to make a statement why do you act as their mouthpiece ?  Can they not type ?  Is it because they are too scared to make a statement  themselves? Or is it because they never read this site ?- come on guys – Dave , Laird , Buzzy whoever ? Speak up please . I know of many “ Local “ ohana on maui  who are completely   stunned by this posting , can they no longer let their children go to Hookipa ? It amazes me that you would take such a stand .

I would like to know  Is it ok to surf  Hookipa if I have lived here for 20 years ? Or do I need to have been born here ? Would you or one of the 'elite' like to hold a class and grade us all on out  skills so as to decide who can go where. If you live near a certain break is it considered a local break ….?

Should we only allow  3 rd of 4th generation  Hawaiians to surf  wherever  they want ? If your skin is not dark enough should  you be banned from certain breaks ???  Should we not allow Afro americans  or  Jews at Hookipa ? Should the Berlin Wall still be in place ?

Of course these questions are way too extreme but if they are asked  asked  the ovious flaws of this thread are exposed.  
It is self righteous , bigoted and elitist to even suggest that only certain groups of people are allowed anywhere and not the American or for that matter the Hawaiian  way 
This 'stand' is so dangerous and so offbeat I truly feel it deserves an apology , and not just small paragraphs of self justification . Seriously when make a mistake own up to it ! Everyone is guilty of not thinking through things from time to time , and this has to be a prime example !

But to hide behind the line “ We have been asked by certain  elite surfers is a ‘cop out’ – I would ask you to name them – or keep quite – I am asked to be a 'dick' everyday in my job but I refuse and so far it has stood me well – you may want to consider acting the same way , in order to avoid people accusing you of being elitist yourselves unless you are striving for that title , however it should be a title that is worn with pride and not saddled upon you with shame . 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
Local,,,,,, great post, this is what I was trying to say with my satirical post above.

This is Thanksgiving eve, let's be thankful that this 'option' hasen't gone any farther than the water cooler.
It takes a quiver to do that.

tstansbury

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
I totally agree with local.  A total ban is better than a list of names who are alowed on public property.

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
I think a lot of people held back simply because this is a highly charged scenario with no good solution.  And maybe emails and discussions at the beach are a better way to resolve these issues than public forums where not knowing people personally can lead to many misconceptions.

I know I’m generalizing but if you put too many rats in too small a cage then the shit is going to hit the fan.  The question is do we designate rat “removers” or do we just let the rats work it out themselves?  If you were to insert Pipeline or Ala Moana Bowls for Ho’okipa I would have to say the rats have it worked out  :o  ;D

Having said this it will be awfully cool when the “lion lies down with the lambs” and we find a better solution.  I look forward to the sensei’s thoughts as gathered by Chan in her upcoming article.  The war will rage on but maybe it will help us pick the battles we can win  ;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard