Author Topic: New Video--paddling straight  (Read 9541 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
New Video--paddling straight
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:26:55 AM »
I came to the realization that a lot of people have problems paddling straight. You don't want to switch sides when you're catching a wave unless you absolutely have to. This little video covers paddling straight and doing forward position turns. It's on www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog and also at www.kenalu.com , which is the new online SUP magazine I'm developing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Video--paddling straight
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:08:58 AM »
PonoBill, thank you for the video. I found something new for myself!
In particular I was really impressed when paddling on the right you managed actually to turn to the right. You don't have a hidden rudder, don't you?  :D ;)

Jokes aside, what's was new for me is the fact that your blade actually goes under your hull. Another thing - the emphasis on the body arching out to keep shaft vertical. Also my stroke is a J-stroke "upside down", yours is more like a letter "C".

I have to try your technique. 6 months from now - skiing is here at the moment

With regards to turning, I didn't get it. Yes if you stand on the nose you can pivot around the nose, same way you pivot around the tail. Pivoting around the nose lifts your fin in the air, but if you pivot around the fin its not that much of resistance either.

For myself I found this technique works best:
* at full speed make one reverse backstroke (half turn done)
* jump into surfer stance and make sweep on another side from nose to back in one big circle (lower yourself, load the fin)- another half turn complete, and you already in the surfer stance pointing to the beach.

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »
That works for me too. I'm a newbe so any kind of help really helps
mahalo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »
Two problems with a reverse backstroke--your balance is upset, and you need to accelerate the board again. Neither of those things are all that terrible, I'm just trying to find something better. I think the stepping forward to turn thing is so counter-intuitive that most people would never try it. I've got it to work really well in flatwater, and we'll see how it works in waves in a couple of days.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:26:32 AM »
I found the stepping forward thing a little odd also..and have not got around to trying it myself..Maybe tomorrow.

I was wondering if stepping forward actually lifts the fin slightly..I know on my board it would.

I find the back paddle thing gets me around quicker..even though it may not look as cool as a good tail sink turn.

I'm looking forward to your next vid.

DJ

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:04:18 AM »
I found that if I get into a surf stance and put weight on my back foot near the tail and stroke to either one side or another I pivot fast and turn the board quickly to catch the wave. I practice on the flat water. Here is a "You tube'' vid of Jimmy Lewis  doing it in the  1:22  part of the vid.
 It works for me and use this technique all the time.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysRgzv0LiU
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »
Here is a "You tube'' vid of Jimmy Lewis  doing it in the  1:22  part of the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysRgzv0LiU

Likely just a typo, but that is Ivan during the turns in that video.  I suppose those kind of styley skills deserve to be recognized.

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »
Nice instructive thread here...great comments. PonoBill's vid is a good one, particularly noting the angle of his paddle blade as it "catches" or enters the water. That angle, plus his pull which places the blade under the rail, and the paddle shaft next to the rail, I have found to be particularly important basic principles for paddling straight. I have been practicing this technique along with rotating at the hips (not just the shoulders) to achieve the "stacked hands" vertical alignment of the paddle shaft which helps with blade angle and shaft pull next to the rail. Practice, practice, practice...

Re the step forward quick turn, I am unable to do this on my 10'4" Angulo Olohe. Stepping too far forward from the paddling sweet spot just sinks the nose too much...it is very unstable, especially in any kind of ocean chop or bump. A better way for me is the step back and pivot quick turn as demoed on the Jimmy Lewis vid. Of course I can't do that yet very effectively because stepping back and paddling hard on either side really throws me off balance and I end up fighting just to keep from falling off, and therefore lose any efficiency I may have gained in trying to catch the wave.

The best I am able to do as of now re a quick turn in order to catch a wave or put myself into a better position is the back paddle/forward side sweep paddle.

All the above being said I have been getting better at shifting from a parallel feet paddling stance to a one foot back surfing stance while paddling for, or just prior to catching a wave. This also can throw me off balance (especially when paddling hard) but once my forward momentum has been established (even a little bit) balance recovery is not a big obstacle to overcome. I believe that learning and mastering this, will help me learn the more difficult step back quick turn, which I see as essential to good SUP surfing and wave catching.

Practice, practice, practice.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
Rand,
  Ivan it is... Many  thanks ... Was under the JL vid search.   Mahalo
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »
The big trick with stepping forward is not to go too far, and then simply practice. I can now turn just as fast from the forward position as I do from the step back position. I THINK the big advantage in wave will be that one quick step back with just your non-dominant foot and you'll be in surf stance with the board trimmed. From the step back position it's at least two steps, and it's very easy to still be too far back to catch waves early.  It's all theory now, by January fifth I might be telling you all that it's a crock.

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 01:19:48 AM »
I find when its choppy the easiest way is to remain faceing out to sea till a swell arrives then give one back paddle,which is enough to start the turn, then dig the paddle deep on the other side and pivot myself past it which is enough to spin me around then I keep paddling on that side and go into my surf stance as the speed increases.If its glassy its another matter you can step back slightly and paddle around weighting your back foot and your away even if your still paddling out.
As you say practice practice, preferably in choppy water.
Cheers from Australia.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
re turn to takeoff: the guy in the video has the move...  that's how leleo and other guys i've seen who do it fast do it... it's all off the tail...  moving forward reduces control and makes a pearl more likely, in my experience.  it's an intereting idea though, anything to make it faster, easier...

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
GREAT video Bill! Learning to paddle straight is crucial if you plan on riding waves. Vids like that are a huge help when starting out. Thanks.

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
Did you try to scull? it's sometimes practical.
When i say "scull" i think about pulling and not pushing like a fisherman!
Hey! a new sport is born: the "scull surf"  ;D
When i say scull, i mean going sideward. If you can control that, there's no worry to paddle straight.

One thing also practical is to control your course each time you're on the top of each wave you face.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
As it turns out, the stepping forward to turn idea didn't pan out in waves. I was afraid of that. Nice idea, but it basically dumps you in front of a wave with great regularity. I've got the step back turn mastered though, going either front or back--and it's just a simple trick. the trick is, step back but keep your weight forward, on the front leg. Start to paddle wide, starting your sweep up by the nose. As you sweep, lean back on the rear heel and press your rear leg towards the turn. As you end the sweep lean forward and put your weight back onto the front foot.

You stay stable, and yet you turn fast all the time you are sweeping. If you just put your weight on the rear foot and start stroking, you'll lose your balance as the tail sinks when you end the stroke and raise the paddle to move it forward again. If you watch people trying a step back turn you'll see their tail sinks when they lift the paddle, and off they go.

It takes about three tries to get the timing right, and once you do, fast 180s are a snap.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal