Author Topic: print publication...  (Read 2289 times)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
print publication...
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
seeing the growth of our sport i can only anticipate and look forward to a print publication (monthly magazine) being born. yes the internet is and will remain the best source of info, but print has many other contributions, such as longer articles and beautifull photography. keeping fingers crossed...

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: print publication...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
I think there's a print publication coming out Q1 2008.  Reid Inouye from Heavywater is launching it according to an article from surfersvillage.com. 

Quote: "I'm also launching another publication, Stand Up Paddle Magazine early next year. It's going to be a solid, clean and pure mag which voices the movement of SUP, the lifestyle and a greener world."

Link to Article:
http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/31419/news.htm

Article:
Hawaii Industry News

Reid Inouye Calling It A Day As A Surfing Promoter

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 12 November, 2007 : - - Reid Inouye has announced after the $75,000.00, 4-Star Xcel Pro, his retirement from producing events on the Association of Surfing Professionals WQS tour. After 25 years of involvement and seeing how much both Hawaii's surfers and surfing has grown, he exits as his other business interests are becoming increasingly important for his watchful eye. We had a chance to take a breather on the beach at Sunset before the semi-final heats of the opening event (Xcel Pro) of the Hawaii winter season.

So tell us, was this something that you've been thinking about or just happened?

Actually, yes and no. Yes because on the publication side of things. Heavywater magazine has blown up over the last six months and I'm keeping a watchful eye on how we grow it. Sales have doubled and it's really evolved into something I'm finally happy with. But, you need to really pay attention to the little things in business and give the Hawaiian surfers and island lifestyle a solid picture of the real perspectives. You know what I mean, "no fluff".

I'm also launching another publication, Stand Up Paddle Magazine early next year. It's going to be a solid, clean and pure mag which voices the movement of SUP, the lifestyle and a greener world. My paddle schools start up in Hawaii next month as well, so....

Wait, paddle schools, more people in the lineup on SUP's?

No, no way, I've done about a hundred lessons already and what I have is a workout program called "Paddle Core Fitness". Paddle Core Fitness is a flat water training program that helps condition any body as a form of a water workout. If you've never tried it, your core gets a major workout. From your toes to your abs as well as your paddling muscle group. We do stricly flat water paddles for about an hour and you're just dripping sweat by the time you get done. We're launching five schools in Hawaii from now till next Spring. In an hour, your burn as many calories as say running three miles or surfing four hours.

That'll keep you busy, no surf time huh?

Trust me, I surf at least 2-3 hours a day, way more than I ever did.

So what's the NO in yes and no?

Well, this year was a real wake up call on the permit side of things with the City and County. I got a Pipeline permit denial letter from the director Lester Chang. To make a long story short, it was given to an individual that claims he had title to the Pipe Pro and that he was to run a WQS, longboard and bodysurf event.

What this really boils down to is this. Anyone can come in to the north shore and write up a great thesis paper on why they should get a permit at a north shore surf break and possibly get a contest permit. No event running experience needed.

This also means events like the Triple Crown Series could lose events in the future, no guarantees for anyone.

Kind a scary if your livelihood depends on it. Fortunately for me, it's not what I depend on. It was more a passion thing. Seen the kind of talent come through a system I created back in 1984, the decades of surfers who came through both the amateur HSF system and the HPAC that I created and developed through an idea, concept and passion.

So what surfers do you remember most fondly?

Without a doubt, Sunny (Garcia). Sunny went through the gammet with us. From winning every amateur contest he was in for six straight years (and getting suspended) to making the finals as a fourteen year old in the HPAC pro series and eventually winning most of the local pro events at fifteen.

While most skeptics were suprised when at 16, he made the World Cup finals at 10 foot Sunset Beach, I had no doubt he'd one day become world champion.

And of course Andy and Bruce. They took over the show when Sunny went on to bigger things. Every time they were in a semi-final heat together during the HIC Pipe Pro contest, I'd get a call from their father (Phil Irons) asking how come they were in the same heat. Those guys ripped when they were in their teens.

And most memorable event?

The year at the Monster Pipe Pro when Tom Dosland won. I think it was 2004. Third day of the waiting period and we got Pipe perfect ten to twelve feet for four days straight. Perfect direction, the sand got cleaned off the bottom, hardly any sand on the beach and here we are running the event from inside the old Gerry Lopez Pipe house from the third floor just watching these unbelievable waves pour through. On the deck area, the grill is going and the oysters and steaks are grilling with the Ahi poke being served up. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Any words to the surfers?

I'm just stoked to see some of these guys do something for themselves in the surfing industry. Guys like Braden Dias, Cody and Miguel Graham, Kala, Kamalei, Matt Kinoshita, Makua, Bonga, Freddy P, Jason Shibata, Jun Jo, Joel Centieo, Jamie O'Brien. Even Kelly Slater.  You see, these gentlemen didn't get hand outs coming up through life, they had stoke to be out there surfing and applied it to the lifestyle.

I could shout it out to a list couple hundred long, but all I got to say is keep it clean and keep on surfing.

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
I'm not totally sure, but Clay Feeter's new mag, Windsurf Journal, may carry a little bit of SUP. We'll have to wait and see.  But for now, check out the picture of Robby Naish, he definitely isn't windsurfing!

http://www.windsurfjournal.us/
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

hilton

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
I think Clay has actually retitled the magazine to include stand up paddling.  It won't be monthly, but should have lots of great stand up photos.  The first issue is due in the spring.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »
Reid Inouyes Stand Up Magazine will be awesome.       I got a sneak peak to what's going on and I was very impressed!    We're talking top quality photo's and writing...    Its going to be a first class, beautiful publication.

Stoked to see real magazines coming out which means my morning throne work will be much more enjoyable! ;D

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:13 AM »
Sounds interesting. it'll be good for the sport to have some print medium to represent it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal