Author Topic: Two new 8 10 guns...  (Read 4933 times)

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Two new 8 10 guns...
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »
The first one 8- 10 by 27 by four..Thicker thru the tail.. ..More volume through out..Quad fin or three fin..I like this board in everything to overhead and a few feet..Its build just like a SHORT BOARD ON STEROIDS.Paddles great. Turns like a mofo..                                                                                                                                                      The Smaller one is a virgin she has not been ridden!!Just got it last night..                                    8/10 by 26 by 3 3/4..Thinned her out on the tail.And moved the fin boxes back three inches...I had the rails tucked on the smaller board like my origional 8 10s.I like how they work for me....going to get to use her in the next two days here in the east cost..This board and my rounded nose 8 10 will be going to Indo this winter..
Played with the new one all day with my custom shark graphics..And deck pad..
Monster Painted the beast..                                                                                                                   I love Monster paint ..But my arms sometimes dont..
Grabbing the board by the nose sometimes peels a lil skin...
You know when your getting worked and you wrap your arm around the front of the board..
Summer problem..now with the rubber its not an issue..  aloha adios....

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Two new 8 10 guns...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »
Sorry the red blood shark board is 26 in wide by 3 3/4

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Nice boards

cloclo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »
Nice quiver.

It gives me some ideas for next board, I'm thinking about the perfect quiver, I have already a good small wave board, it's a 8'8 x 28 x 4 quattro fins (the next one will be 8'5). I think a 8'10 like yours is a good choice for good wave, but I think I will have a roundpin tail instead of the diamond.

Supperson

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
sweet boards!  ;D

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »
  Thanks ya,all..  Me BTW 5ft 7 @ 165...Lb...My first diamond tail worked havent changed it...
I have been trying to get minus 27 inches wide.not into exess with...  I think this one should work great...  Dave

Supperson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »
Let us know how they ride please , i am 165 also.. they sure look siko.
26'' wide is definately getting down there for a shortie
I will have to get me one of those.... damn

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:19:56 AM »
man id love to demo one of your boards one day to see how small i could go they look sick. but im 195lbs i ride a 9'3 but id like to see how little i could ride.

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »
Just got out of the water here Montauk Radar Tower was firing...
First paddle out on the 8/10 by 26..8 am..wind hard offshore 20 -25 mph..the bouy here said 8.9 ft at 9 seconds...,Set waves to double overhead.
the new board didnt like the chop from the wind but once on a wave it worked great.It stand up paddled better than it knee paddled.Fast stable.Sick sick churning inside,,,exellent board....I love the board its going to ba amazing in Indo...
Peeps were getting barreled..
Hey Newton..I bet my 27 inch wide 8 10 would work for your weight..The smaller one i dont think has eneugh float for you..

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 10:21:30 AM »
Just checked the bouy again..Looks like it was 10.2 ft at 10 seconds at 8 am..even better...
Going back in after some food....

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »
Sorry the red blood shark board is 26 in wide by 3 3/4
I like those dimensions...narrow board and thin rails... should be fast down the line, and stay glued to the face in steeper waves.
My board is a 9"6"x 25.5 x 3.75" works awesome in bigger waves.
Personally I don't think I would want to go wider than 26"... I likes em surfy.
Although I'm sure my opinion could change...whatever works eh?

Randy

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:46:49 AM »
Hey AIRcube  Your on the money with both statements...
.I think the thinned out rails and thin tail worked ...The ecceleration was amazing on the new board.. Fast fast fast had three comments from hard core short boarders on how fast the board was..
We got two days from this swell this morning good to head high clean ..Surfed the bigger gun .
it worked great too....  ahhh till the next swell..... D

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:39 AM »
Aloha Dave,

Great boards!! Loved the outlines & thin rails... I think thinner rails are the ticket to steeper waves. Tell us more about the tail and why did you chose diamond...

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »
Super D:

I like the tails... standard SUP tails, even for performer SUPs are just too darn wide!  I am a big fan of the diamond tail as with the Shorter SUPs I think that you need to get your glide where ever you can find it... and you can get your tail narrower.  At 185, I have a tough time on 27's... but I am getting more used to it.  What is your take, Dave on the perfect all around performance SUP ... the one that you can always have with you and charge... the one that can survive in the chop, but also speed through a section? That, to me is the magic question.  I am trying to figure that out... I am trying to find something between my 9'1" by 27 1/4 House quad (can ride that in chop) and my 8'0" x 27 C4 (impossible in chop).  Working with the same shaper who made my magic 9'5" quad to try to find the answer.

What say you Dave?

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »
Tim...I  i rode one of Tom Englishes Ron House Quads that size..In Cardiff last winter..I liked the board.But i Buried the rail more than a few times..Seems they dont release like my Boards..Im sure once you get used to the diffrence the RH Quads rip too...My boards are looser and much lighter..
 My new rule of thumb on my SUP board volume/wieght  is..You must be able to palm the board mid rail and semi easily carry it..I can on Two of my 8/10s ..
They also have been holding up well..I do beat my equipment to death..Rails on the boards hold up well to paddle maulings..
On SUP Board design  Hmmmmm.
Im riding boards in the chop now that i thought i would only be able to ride in perfect conditions..
We got to get out there and push our limits..
The last 8 /10 is the The 26 by 3 3/4,
17 in one foot from the tail.
14 in wide one foot from the nose...pointy lil nose
...Im comfortable with this combo right now..Its really fine to paddle in glassy conditions..The first day i rode the new gun was far from perfect..but it still worked side chop and all..
Shit i like diamond tails..i like square tails and rounded tails...Hence the diamond. I loved the hold on the new board last week in the good surf.I feel i get more bite out of the diamond tail...The thinner rails worked great..But i also made turns on some of the bigger waves that i would only be thinking down the line and survive.I think that my diamond tail also does  release in the power. It carves holding  in the big stuff. One dude a very good short boarded said he couldent believe the speed i got out of the new
Gun..         
This is in some smoking surf to Solid overhead n half..def double overhead drops sick powerfull inside that was breaking boards...
About the rails..
 Tucked ..yup i like em tucked..they seem to turn off a really sick section much easier than conventional rounded ..you know when you either have to kick out really quicly to survive the lip..Or when you turn out of a large wave with controlable speed to not get punded by the next set waves/...My tucked rails make that transition work....FOR ME...they have held....Another good short boarder said..
DUDE Your drop was so late that it looked like you dropped right onto a barrel...I vagely remember trying to hold on for dear life ..but i remember trusting the board..i got a sick short barrelAnd made the wave...Soo the tucked rails do initiate the turns faster with less thought..But once again thats just me...
Here are a few pics of the different tail thickness i have experimented with - Three different 8 /10s
Check out the double concave in the first pic..That board really is the thinnest at the tail off all my boards..But it is a round nose..I love this Board too the only negative about it is penertration..both ways..
Thats why i went to the guns or short board shape for the new boards..i think they will work best in Indonesia..
Im not sure if these pics will show much but there the last three tails we shaped..thickness wize..So there you go..
With Pleasure   Dave

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal